Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
bmdepas
Registered Users
seller

Healthy Alternatives to Gerber Graduates

My baby is pretty high-needs, and wants to be held most of the time. This makes it hard for me to prepare my own food and eat. My mom bought some Gerber Graduates puffs - basically sugary melty type bite-size biscuit things. They are amazing as far as keeping him occupied so I can prepare food and eat. I hate to keep offering them, though, since they are pretty sugary. Does anyone know of any healthier alternatives? I was thinking maybe puffed millet, since it dissolves basically instantly. Maybe Rice Krispies cereal? Though I don't know if it's actually healthier. How about corn flakes?

Oh, my baby is almost nine months old, but was early and is developmentally around a month behind in everything, so more like eight months. He's been eating purees since four months.

Advertisement

bmdepas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Healthy Alternatives to Gerber Graduates

We use Cheerios. Probably not the healthiest option out there but readily available and better than puffs IMO.

Rice Krispies would make a huge mess and corn flakes don't dissolve rapidly enough for a baby of that age/developmental level.

You can get puffs that are supposed to be healthier like these http://www.plumorganics.com/products...-sweet-potato/ but I feel like it's mostly clever marketing for a more expensive, still not very healthy puff.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #3
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can make your own puffs so you know exactly whats in them. My little guy LOVED Happybaby puffs. They are organic and not as sugary as alternatives. But at 9 months (or even 8) he can eat pretty much anything that is gum-able. Like a cut up steamed carrot or sweet potato "fries".
kmrotski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
bmdepas
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
We use Cheerios. Probably not the healthiest option out there but readily available and better than puffs IMO.

Rice Krispies would make a huge mess and corn flakes don't dissolve rapidly enough for a baby of that age/developmental level.

You can get puffs that are supposed to be healthier like these http://www.plumorganics.com/products...-sweet-potato/ but I feel like it's mostly clever marketing for a more expensive, still not very healthy puff.
Oh, Cheerios. Duh. That would at least be somewhat better than puffs. A lot less sugar! Do they dissolve rapidly enough? He's beginning to gum things, but not very good at it yet and he often gets stuff "stuck" on the back of his tongue.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #5
bmdepas
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
You can make your own puffs so you know exactly whats in them. My little guy LOVED Happybaby puffs. They are organic and not as sugary as alternatives. But at 9 months (or even 8) he can eat pretty much anything that is gum-able. Like a cut up steamed carrot or sweet potato "fries".
I probably don't have time to make my own, but I'm intrigued. How would you do that? Is there a recipe? Do they dissolve like the store-bought ones?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmdepas View Post
I probably don't have time to make my own, but I'm intrigued. How would you do that? Is there a recipe? Do they dissolve like the store-bought ones?
There is actually a thread on here somewhere woth a recipe for them. I will look but you can also google it, Ive seen a ton of different kinds on Pinterest.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #7
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1625597

Homemade baby puffs?

Here you go, she has a link to the recipe she used and what changes she made.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
bmdepas
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1625597

Homemade baby puffs?

Here you go, she has a link to the recipe she used and what changes she made.
Thank you! I might have to try this - I don't know that I can do it all the time, but it would be a fun project!

Last edited by bmdepas; 02-28-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
abh5e8
Registered Users

I often give mine back beans from a can, as an easy finger food. They don't melt like puffs, but they are tiny, super soft and easy to gum.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk