Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #11
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do you handle all the noise of multiple kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I'm very introverted & find it incredibly difficult to be "on" all the time, even for my kids. I thrive on peace and solitude (yes, I know that's a bad combo for SAHMing, but I don't really have a choice) & find myself anxious & constantly on edge b/c of someone always yapping at me. And DD1 is 100% extroverted...not happy to go play in her room & needing to tell me & her sisters she loves us () about every 3 minutes, she is a mismatch for me & it's exhausting. I live for nap time & sometimes take my time in the bathroom just for a few minutes of semi-quiet.
This is me and my oldest, too. But when I try to hide in the bathroom, I hear my middle child wandering around the house, calling for me until he finds me. Then he says, "Oh, there you are," and smiles at me.

Advertisement

Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I'm with you two. The babies take turns crying much of the day, & my 4yo seems to be constitutionally incapable of being quiet. Between, the running, singing, clattering toys, tv,crying,whining, etc., I spend most of my awake hours seriously overstimulated. I'm very introverted & find it incredibly difficult to be "on" all the time, even for my kids. I thrive on peace and solitude (yes, I know that's a bad combo for SAHMing, but I don't really have a choice) & find myself anxious & constantly on edge b/c of someone always yapping at me. And DD1 is 100% extroverted...not happy to go play in her room & needing to tell me & her sisters she loves us () about every 3 minutes, she is a mismatch for me & it's exhausting. I live for nap time & sometimes take my time in the bathroom just for a few minutes of semi-quiet.
That describes me as well! Sometimes I wonder how someone as naturally introverted as me also desired a large family? I adore alone time, but I don't get much of it. I definitely get overstimulated with too much electronic noise going on, but that's a great time to tell the kids to shut off the tv and go play outside.

It got better as the kids got older. They began to be more independent -getting their own snacks/drinks, playing alone, reading alone and attending school. When they're in school, the house is quiet for hours. I just have one little one home (until the baby comes.) The kids also help more. I definitely feel calmer when the house is clean and the kids are incredibly helpful. I'm looking forward to having the whole crew home for the summer while I'm taking care of a baby.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #13
krissyc
Registered Users
seller

For me, the best thing to do was to plan well so as to avoid some of the avoidable stress/noise moments. I made a schedule on a table with the times of the day in half-hour increments and
Old 05-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
krissyc
Registered Users
seller

Oops - hit the send button before finishing.

I used a chart/table to figure out what every member of the family was doing at every time of the day. That helped to avoid some of the avoidable chaos - I could make sure that at least no one would get hungry when I couldn't feed them. It also made the day more manageable to me - sometimes the instant creativity, the "what should we do now" was stressful and loud. I divided the day up by "times" too, and each one involved different activities: Nap Time (sleeping), Quiet Time (for children who were too old or refused to nap), Play Alone Time, Play Together Time, Learning Time (age-appropriate activities that would require my involvement, like play doh), Free Time, Play Outside Time, Outing Time (museums, parks, etc).

Did I always stick to my schedule by the minute? No, of course not! Something unpredictable often happens, and you have to roll with it. But when I had our household on a good schedule/routine, I surely felt more in control and less stressed!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:53 AM   #15
lilac0226
Registered Users

I have an 8 year old, 6 year old twins and a 2 year old. My saving graces would be my part-time job (sometimes I say I would love to be a sahm, but being out of home for 16 hours/week probably does me good), creating activites for kids to appropriately be loud (forcing myself to go to park) we also go to a play place I volunteer at for 4 hours a week which give me a gym membership and free daycare while I work out and gives kids time to be loud and play.

When my kiddos were little we went for lots of walks, I had a triple jogging stroller and became very skilled at cramming them all into regular strollers, for some weird reason they were quiet when we went on walks and often the twins feel asleep. The other weird trick for my twins was the vacuum, they would not cry over it. Hopefully there is something that deters your twins from crying.

If you feel yourself snapping, put the babies in their cribs, find an activity for your older child and go sit outside for 5-10 minutes to clear your head. On a bad sleep deprived day I would make myself a cup of tea, grab a book and go sit on my back porch. As a nice bonus my twins would usually cry themself to sleep during that time.

Make time for you to be alone if you can, or invite a friend over to talk with her kids also being noisy. Twins are hard when they are little, I think moms of twins should get "I survived the first 2 years of my twins lives" t-shirts. It is hard work.

I worked part-time when my twins were little and stopped by my work to pick something up one day while all the kids were in the van, my head boss and a manager were standing by my van talking to me while all 3 of my children were screaming and they both stopped and seemed alarmed. My response, if I only talked to people when none of my kids were crying I'd never talk to anyone, they are fine.

Good luck, it does get easier.
lilac0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 PM   #16
marysfive
Registered Users

Sometimes I just automatically tune them out. Other times the slightest noise above inside-voices gets me... It depends on my mood.

4 boy and 1 girl ages 2-9
marysfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #17
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This bothers me most in the car b/c it's so confined! If they get too loud I usually send them outside...it tells me they have a lot of energy! That said...there are days the noise gets to me too. Kids and a bunch if them are just LOUD by nature. We talk about using inside voices or going outside often...

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Old 06-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #18
nchuds
Registered Users
seller

I agree, pp, the chaos of children in the car is the worst; too little space and too much noise.
nchuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:08 AM   #19
tinymama
Registered Users
seller

I am an introvert, a loner by nature, with a strong need for personal space! When my kids were younger and I couldn't take it anymore I would load them in the car and put on a book on CD and we would go for a drive. Surprisingly this worked, assuming we did not have a baby in the car (our babies never love their carseat!) but as toddlers-and-up it worked.

Even now, tonight actually, the older kids were being so loud and the power was out so I couldn't turn on DD's fan and music to drown them out while putting her to sleep so what did I do? Huffed an puffed at everyone to keep it down and then the lightbulb went on-I grabbed my keys put DD in her carseat (she is old enough not to hate it like she did as a newborn) and we went for a peaceful drive, watched the sunset over the mountains while listening to Bach on cello CD. Quietest hour of my day! And if driving sounds like a waste of gas and funds, try putting a price tag on your sanity for a little perspective

Aside from that I make sure to get outdoors for a hike or jog at least every other day, even if it means the whole family comes with me, at least I can be ahead of the pack or behind and that gives me a few moments for some much need "space in my own head" time

Last edited by tinymama; 07-19-2014 at 12:10 AM.
tinymama is offline   Reply With Quote