Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #1
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

How Long After Opened?

I know the can says to use within a certain amount of time after opening, but I was wondering why if it's powder. I have a large can of Nutramigen I tried a few months ago and DD was having a reaction to it so I went back to Alimentum. There's at least half a can left and it was about $45, so I hated to throw it away.
Well, I'm supposed to start her back on milk based formula the end of this week to see if she has outgrown her allergy. I'm going to run out of Alimentum soon and I don't want to buy another $30 can if I won't need the whole thing. Could I still use the Nutramigen if it's been opened for a few months? I just need something to hold us over until Thursday. Worst case scenario I can buy a couple jugs of liquid since they're cheaper, but I would prefer to use what I already have on hand.

Advertisement

imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:02 PM   #2
azriona
Registered Users

Re: How Long After Opened?

I don't know for sure, but my guess is because particularly in the case of milk-based powders, the milk (even powdered) is going to spoil after prolonged exposure to air. Think about what would happen if you left a jug of milk open on the counter for a few weeks - are you really going to want to drink that?

Another theory might be because the company is playing it safe - after all, they can't determine in what kind of environment you've been storing that powder. Maybe your house is super hot, or bugs have managed to get into the packaging and are going to town in there. (I've found bugs in Ziploc-sealed graham crackers; I'd hate to see what they did to a formula powder with just that flimsy plastic lid.)

Honestly? I wouldn't chance it. Because if your baby does start having trouble with the switch, it'll be easier to determine if it's the new formula if you can say "Yep, that's brand-new-just-purchased formula that's causing her tummy troubles". Otherwise, you're never really going to be able to say for certain.

(Sorry, I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear!)
azriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #3
imnotacodfish
Registered Users
seller

Re: How Long After Opened?

I went ahead and just started her on milk based when I ran out of hypoallergenic. The doctor said to start it a week before her appointment. Thursday would have been exactly a week, but I figured an extra day and a half isn't terrible. I'm not optimistic, though. Her skin has been reacting negatively to her pee and poop. First sign of the allergy. Oh, joy.
imnotacodfish is offline   Reply With Quote