Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
For those of you who breastfed then decided to formula feed?

How did you know when you were done? Luci is 8 weeks old next Thurs. I had planned to nurse at least a year, I nursed my last for 6 months, our first I EPed for 3 weeks and lost my supply. Both my olders had formula when it made sense for us. I just was so set on nursing this time and even though I'm finally beginning to enjoy it, I feel like I am a slave to the baby, the pump, the schedule. I'm stressed about going back to work and having to pump 4 times a shift. I'm stressed about her not taking the bottle of my milk because she is confused that I am gone so long and then wanting to reverse cycle nurse all night long. I only work per diem currently but need to find a job full time and I cannot imagine working full time as a nurse and pumping. I barely get time to pee at work. Anyways, what made you want to quit?

Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Jules_77
Registered Users

Re: For those of you who breastfed then decided to formula feed?

I wanted to breasfeed my daughter for six months as well just as I did my son but it seem just as u said. I have no time for anything else but feeding the baby. I had to supplement though from the very beginning (not by choice). So my baby is 10 weeks old now and I have decided that I will do a morning feeding and night time feeding and formula throughout the day. It's a little more convenient for me that way. I feel that as long as she's still getting some breast milk it's better than none.
Jules_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:49 AM   #3
Rewind_Selector
Registered Users
seller
seller

I stopped the pump. It was too much. I nurse the baby when I am with her and she gets formula when I'm not. Simple as that
Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

Only my first was FF. I had to go back to work and could not pump enough so dried up. I did not know all the resources and laws that I know now. I wish I could have BF him longer than the 4 months I did, but it was not meant to be. He did fine on formula and it actually made things easier for me at that time. I was devistated though.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Keropisunshine23
Coop Hostess
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewind_Selector View Post
I stopped the pump. It was too much. I nurse the baby when I am with her and she gets formula when I'm not. Simple as that
This is what happened for my second when I was pregnant with my third. It was too much to pump and I wasn't getting enough milk to make it worth my while.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
kinderreruns
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With baby #6 - I have to take heart meds to keep my ticker ticking. I miss nursing but you have to pick your battles in life. I like living. I need to keep my hear working and other people need to balance the reality of the daily grind and feeding babies.

Pick what works for you and your family for nursing plays a role in their life too. I have gotten "the looks" when I whip out my bottle much like I did 20 yrs ago when I nursed baby #1 out (yes - very covered the world was opposite then). I want to say I see your baby is in disposables - I use cloth. I see a chicken nugget hanging from your preschoolers mouth - we rarely eat processed food or even out....you get the point.BTY: I love the "organic baby food mamas" that feed their older children McDonalds etc etc and skip the veggies for "they do not like them".

Do what you need to do to get all the 100's of things all of us Mama's do for our family in a day done. If you get half to most of the things done, you are doing GREAT!
kinderreruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
LadyR28
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When my psychologist/psychiatrist (still get those two terms mixed up) informed me that the stress was taking a toll on me. I expected too much on myself and being surrounded by BF moms I felt the pressure to do the same. But the stress just drove me to depression and affected not only my emotional/mental/physical health it also affected my relationship with my DH & my newborn. The pump was my ball & chain. I wasn't able to enjoy my baby for the first three months since I was paranoid if its time for me to pump or if I have enough milk. When I got a wake up call from my OB, Psychologist/Psychiatrist, and PCP I know it's time to let it go. Like what my husband told me - the baby will be fine drinking formula but not if he lose his mother.
LadyR28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
melissa621
Registered Users
seller

I tried to BF but my preemie just never figured out latching. I pumped around the clock for the first month but I just had a really low supply due to a breast reduction I had 10 years ago. We started FF after that because pumping just took a toll on everyone. I was a slave to the pump. Much happier now.
melissa621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I guess I feel guilty because we aren't really having any problems nursing. My supply is awesome, I get to SAH most of the time, she did well with daddy and the bottle while I was at work Saturday, I pumped with minimal drama at work. I worry about her not doing well on formula, mostly. But my guilt is that there are momma's who WANT to nurse, who desire and fight to nurse and I have like 200 oz of breastmilk pumped and saved and nurse no problem and have a tank of a baby. I just want my body back to myself. I'm selfish! I'll admit it. I still feel pregnant and borderline disabled. :/
Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
We had issues with thrush, latch, bloody cracks, supply and the pump. Bottle feeding was a relief for us.

Luckily has worked better this time.