Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
lugnut_9754
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Store Brand or Name Brand

Do you use store brand formula or name brand? Do you feel they are the same? How did you choose which one to use?

Advertisement

Michele (29) - - Waiting for #1 since March 2013 (My Single Mother By Choice Blog) - Follow my journey on YouTube

Following my heart and adopting a child with Down Syndrome from Inda
Have $5? Please consider donating to my Adoption Fundraiser
lugnut_9754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Store Brand or Name Brand

My plan is to change it up. My past babies have been ok with changing up their formulas so I'll use any brand I have a coupon, etc for . Bottles always mattered more than formula.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Old 09-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nutritionally, all meet the same guidelines. I kind of set organic formulas apart, but many of the generics are made in the same facilities as the name brands, or are manufactured so as to be nearly identical. We've primarily used the BJ's store brand b/c it was the cheapest off the shelf for us, but when I had samples I used them. The only difference I've noticed is the generic being less frothy & easier to mix, so less gas for my LOs.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
busyteacher
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DS had to use Gerber Goodstart Gentle and it has no generic so we used name brand.
busyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

This is my first time FF after failing to produce much milk after birth. We're using the generic from SAMs club. It's formulated to match Similac Advance, but SO much cheaper. ($22 for a 3lb tub. Makes 89 4oz bottles.)

My baby is tolerating it really well, no more gas/spit-up than his EBF siblings and he just doubled his birth weight at a little over 3 months. I was also surprised that his poo is similar in smell and consistency of EBF poo.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Hi-Dog
Registered Users
seller
seller

When my daughter was a newborn, the only formula she seemed to tolerate was gerber good start gentle. Eventually, she was less sensitive and did well on the Costco (Kirkland) brand formula which is equivalent to Similac, I believe. Like others have said, the formula guidelines are all the same for generics and brand names.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:24 AM   #7
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We used Enfamil Premium and Enfamil Gentlease. They used the sensitive formula earlier on, then switched to regular when they were starting to get more hungry and it wasn't satisfying them anymore, and their bellies were doing better.

We always used name brand, until I needed to save money, and saw the Meijer store brand was much cheaper. They did SO much better on it! We have tried Walgreens brand and while it was okay, nothing compared to how cheap the Meijer brand was, and they had the least amount of fussiness and gas with it. We still buy it (they are turning 1 this month), and I love the savings and the quality, and wish I had switched much, much sooner.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
momtoman25
Registered Users

I've used both without issue the only thing I notice is that the name brands are a bit smoother in texture.
momtoman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:33 PM   #9
lugnut_9754
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got samples from companies (Similac and Enfamil I believe) so as long as I get a baby before they expire I'll try those out. My mom said she will buy formula for me so if she will stick with that knowing her she will want name brand but if I'm paying I'm hoping baby will be okay with store brand
Michele (29) - - Waiting for #1 since March 2013 (My Single Mother By Choice Blog) - Follow my journey on YouTube

Following my heart and adopting a child with Down Syndrome from Inda
Have $5? Please consider donating to my Adoption Fundraiser
lugnut_9754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
kayellesquared
Registered Users
seller

From what I understand, most generic or house brands are all made by the same manufacturer, PBM pharmaceuticals. So I use generic, except when I have samples. Also, I buy generic from where I happen to be when shopping. The same generic formula is found at Sams, Target, Walmart and Krogers in my area. It just has different packaging, but it's all the same stuff and notes the same manufacturer in the fine print on the label.

Used this same method starting at two months with first DS. Doing it with second DS and I'm proud and lucky to have two healthy guys giving me a run for my money all day long.
kayellesquared is offline   Reply With Quote