Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
cjdetweiler
Registered Users
seller

Stick to formula or switch to whole milk

Long story short bfing did not work for me. I made it about 3 months before my health got in the way and I had to stop cold turkey and switch to formula. LO is 10 months, healthy, big and perfect. The only issues we've had is that he needs to be on a sensitive formula for tummy issues. I had originally intended to bf for as long as possible. Formula seems to be the next best thing so I'm fine continuing to feed him in this way. However I keep getting questioned about when. I plan to switch him to cows milk. Any input as to what is nutritionally better? My gut says to keep formula feeding especially with tummy issues until at least a year but I'd like to go longer since I couldn't bf. Thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by cjdetweiler; 02-17-2016 at 11:19 PM.
cjdetweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:13 AM   #2
LReetz
Registered Users

Re: Stick to formula or switch to whole milk

I was always told not to switch to whole milk until at least one year. They make toddler formula too- you could switch to that if you were more comfortable. Have you looked into dairy and/or soy allergies? I'm just asking because they are two of the top eight food allergens, and both are in MANY formulas. If your lo does have a diary allergy, the last thing you want to do is introduce whole milk- at least formula is somewhat broken down. I'm sorry you were unable to continue nursing like you wanted, but congratulations on making it as Lon. As you did, and for doing what was right for your whole family. That's what really matters!
LReetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
cjdetweiler
Registered Users
seller

Thank you! He was born early so we always had issues, first latching then supply. We were powering through it but I was misdiagnosed and prescribed meds that were not baby safe. Frustrating after I put in so much work to make bfing work only to quit because of a misdiagnosis. I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing for a while. No need to cause unnecessary discomfort when this is working for him
cjdetweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I remember giving DD a bit of whole milk at 11 months. Her little tummy gurgled like crazy. A month later, it was fine. So in my experience, I'd wait.
coquelicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

IMO babies are babies until they are 2 years old, so I continue formula or breastfeeding (I've both EFF and EBF, as well as combo with a couple babies) until then. But I do introduce whole milk around 1 year and slowly increase the amount of milk and decrease the formula or breastfeeding until age 2, at which point we wean completely.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
Michcabby
Registered Users

No to formula
Michcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:07 PM   #7
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michcabby View Post
No to formula
Did you even read the original post?? Your reply is less than helpful. She is already been giving the child formula for about 7 months. It's not okay to attempt to "formula shame" another mom.

cjdetweiler- I would consult with your child's pediatrician about when to make the transition to cow's milk. I believe it's normally done at 1 year but they also make formula for toddlers. When you first start, sometimes people will give 20% milk then slowly move up to more. This helps the child adjust. You can gauge if the child is having any problems from the milk.

If anyone questions you about what & how you feed your baby, I would tell them "I'm doing what my child's pediatrician recommends and they said XZY"

I heard all kinds of crazy things when my kids were little from people. Like "If you fed the baby mash potatoes ever night, they would sleep through the night. All my kids slept through the night at 2 weeks old" I didn't feed my 2 week old potatoes! And the recommendations are constantly changing! My son got solids starting at 4 month (He's 13) but the guidelines changed to 6 months by the time I had my DD. So older people (or people with older children) might ask because back in the day they were told other things for their children. They might be well meaning but misinformed.

Good Luck!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:40 PM   #8
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Looks like that other person is just trying to get enough posts to sell on here. Ignore her unhelpful comment.

The recommendation for switching from formula to whole milk is one year. You can also do this gradually by alternating between formula and whole milk. If your lo doesn't tolerate whole milk at all, you will want to explore if he has allergies.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that milk shouldn't be given until past the age of one because of a baby's delicate digestive system. That being said, the reason for giving milk to children at all is because of the calcium, which I believe can be gotten from other, healthier sources.

At one point I read "cow's milk is for baby cows" and that really resonated with me. I decided not to give my kids milk and stick to other cultured milk products, like yogurt and cheese and buttermilk. Did you know you can even get calcium from greens and other foods? Pediatricians tend to push milk because it's one of the easiest ways to get kids to consume calcium.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #10
yoadri99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

seeing as most of their nutrients before age one come from formula, I would stick to that until age 1. then transition into whole milk. Formula is made to cover all aspects of nutrients, to be the main source of food. It's not comparable to milk.
yoadri99 is offline   Reply With Quote