Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
JenLS
Registered Users
seller

Soy to Cow

My little guy has been on soy formula since shortly after birth and is now almost a year old. Does anyone have experience going to cow's milk at a year after having reflux with basic formula?

Advertisement

JenLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Soy to Cow

My son was on soy formula for most of his first year and we switched directly to cow's milk. I was never concerned that there were any allergies there; he just seemed to digest the soy formula so much easier than the cow's milk based formulas.

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
JenLS
Registered Users
seller

Thank you!
Old 10-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #4
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

We had a foster daughter (of sorts) who was on soy formula. I found it difficult to transition her over. I think it's going to be different for every baby. Her stomach didn't handle it very well. Instead, I did regular soy milk and sometimes almond milk or goats milk. By the time I tried to transition her she was already getting all her nutrients from solid food, though, so I wasn't worried about getting her to drink milk right away. She tolerated cheese just fine, so I gave her plenty of that.
luvmybaby333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
omelanie3
Registered Users
seller

I don't have any experience with this myself, but I had a friend with a daughter who had lots of food intolerances, and they moved her to soy milk with a shot of olive oil (for fat) for her main beverage, but also introduced kefir and drinkable yogurt to get the kid a bit into dairy but not to full fledged milk all at once.
omelanie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #6
JenLS
Registered Users
seller

That is interesting too. Just wasn't sure about jumping right into cow or if we start with soy and slowly offer other options. Hadn't heard about the olive oil before. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #7
maddiemommaof2
Registered Users
seller

My son is just turned two years old and still on formula. He is deadly allergic to cows milk, soy and most other foods. I know he is not getting all he needs to grow from the little he can safetly eat right now so I have him on the Alimentum Toddler Formula that goes up till when they are three. Thank God they make it honestly. But, I am an expert on easing a baby on to new foods or fluids and back off of them. As every food I get the okay to try, he has been allergy tested but allergies can change, emerge, or fade away, I have to do it slowly like starting out with a half teaspoon at breakfast on the first day.

Anyway regarding you if your baby had reflux on cowsmilk and did so well on soy that theres a possibility of a milk sensitivity which is way different from the allergy. It can show up as reflux, painful gas, poop suddenly being different like looser than usual or even harder to the point of constipation. Or a rash making the cheeks red eczema popping up. If I were you I would be super careful just in case. Figure out the week your going to try it after getting the okay from your Doctor. Our pediatrcian never figured out what was wrong with our son. His eye was always swollen and oozy on the left side, they were going to do an operation on it at six months, a rash around his neck they said was yeast and red rough feeling cheeks they said needed more ointment. I followed my gut instinct and suggested a milk allergy they switched him to soy which I changed over so slowly per half ounces on the first day after the first half ounce was added he woke up from his nap looking like a red crocodile. All over dermatitis that quick. Rushed him to childrens hospital and after my begging them for allergy tests he came back highly allergic to soy and milk.

So take a week or two make a diet plan for that week with foods you know your baby is okay with that way any changes be it skin, poop or not being able to sleep you will know it is the cows milk. Make the formula ahead of time then measure it out into the sippy cup or bottle using the ounces on the outside and add a half ounce or a whole ounce in place of a half ounce or whole ounce of the formula. The first day make sure to do it that morning because you don't want anything to happen up in the night while your asleep. If your doing it by two weeks replace more formula every two days if your doing it in a week replace more formula with the milk every day and be super vigilant. If your baby was pretty bad off with reflux I would do the two week method.

But you can just switch it to Soy Milk but you will need to add to it so that it will equal enough fat for your babies development. It would need to equal the same as whole milk. If none of your family or the fathers have nut allergy you could look into mixing nut milks in like almond and coconut. Make sure it is not the cooking coconut milk! Also don't get any soy or nut milks that are flavored because of the sugar content. My son can tolerate almond and coconut milks and I will be switching him off of formula to those at 3 if he is consuming enough daily in his food and add a multivitamin. The coconut milks even those blended with the almond milk brands are pretty potent tasting. But the SoooDelicious Coconut Milk in unsweetened tastes like thick water which is good because it mixes well with the almond which is closer to a milk taste and it is great as a substitute for dairy in foods. It took me forever to find an alterna milk that I can use as a replacement that wouldn't flavor our foods and the whole family will eat it. Also mixed half and half like 2 ounces of almondbreeze almondmilk plus 2 ounces of SD Coconut milk equals the amount of fat needed from milk and has more vitamin D,A and B12 and you get those good MCFA's.

I hope this was helpful and good luck on one of the milestones most parents that formula feed look forward too!
maddiemommaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote