Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #31
curlyfry
Registered Users

Re: Anyone do a triple screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinc View Post
Anyone know exactly what the false positive rate is....my dumb ob tired to tell me it was only 2%.
Lies! More like 80%...

"The controversy in these tests lies in many places. One of which is the accuracy of the screenings. While some claim that they have only a 5% "false positive" rate, most research finds that there are 80+% rate of positive tests while the baby is unaffected. The false positive rates depend on many factors, including appropriate gestational age, maternal age, weight and the presence of diabetes.

False positives may not seem like a problem, however, there are follow up tests that are done that do carry risks, like amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling (CVS), which does carry a 1 - 2% rate of fetal loss. The standard is usually to repeat the AFP or triple screen. Another positive screen will then go to the Level II Ultrasound. Ultrasound can even be used to detect some of the anomalies associated with Downs Syndrome. If the ultrasound doesn't find a mix up in gestational age, or a multiple pregnancy, an amniocentesis is generally the next step. "

source-pregnancy.about.com

Advertisement

Devinphoto- amazing Maternity, baby, family photography- check it out! Devinphoto
curlyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:15 AM   #32
steffylikewoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

with my first i did it because i did everything they told me to do lol. i declined it with this baby. i figured if anything was wrong, it wouldn't change anything. so i didnt see the point.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #33
fawnlovesjasper
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Nope.. in fact my dr when he "asks" puts it this way "You don't want the triple screen or the quad screen, do you?" We don't.. we do opt to see a peri for a fetal echocardiogram on our babies because there is some heart murmurs in hubbys family.. in fact he and our DD have them, but they are diagnosed as harmless murmurs... but we want to make sure that the heart issue doesn't lead to more serious heart problems, but we opt out of every other test offered except the gestational diabetes test.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #34
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I had it done with three pregnancies that reached that stage. Unfortunately, I had one that was high, which showed a greater risk of NTDs, which turned out to be accurate. I would not, however, do it with a multiple pregnancy because I doubt they could give you an accurate (although there are many inaccuraries anyways) with 4 little ones.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #35
sblakeley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i did the screen, actually i have it done every three months well forever... the AFP test is the tests that is used to monitor my blood counts, my super weird rare ovarian cancer would not show on a CAT125 if i reoccurred rather on a AFP or an NSE (neuron specific enolase)

so yes if pregnant again i would do it as i did the first time... also DH and i were going through a lot to say the least with me being super high risk (aka having cancer and being prego at the same time) and we knew we were having a preemie which comes with a lot so we wanted to be prepared, abortion was not an option
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #36
Erinne
Registered Users

I'm waiting on my quad screen results now. We chose to do it because we would terminate for Tri 18 and we would want to know and be prepared for other conditions.
ETA: The discrepancy between 80% and 2% can be attributed to the difference between the number of positive results that are false out of the total number of tests and the number of false positives out of the total number of positives.

Last edited by Erinne; 02-04-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Erinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:38 AM   #37
stefaniem
Registered Users
seller

We did it b/c even though we wouldn't terminate, I'd rather know and have time to research, find doctors, etc. - basically prepare if something is wrong.

I'll have to go back and check some of my preg. books. I thought they didn't even do it for multiple births b/c it would be too inaccurate.
GL with whatever you decide!
Old 02-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #38
kristinc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I declined the screening and they didn't even question it...yay!! But they did schedule me for a genetic counsultation which I am questioning. I feel like so much of this is just them covering their butts. Unnecessary testing.....a huge problem with healthcare these days.
kristinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #39
Hbug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my first triple screen with this preg, because they found a soft sign for down's (Echogenic or Hyperechoic Bowel) at my u/s. I did refuse the aminio.
Hbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #40
elioraimmanuel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We decline. W/my first they told me she was going to have all kinds of issues. She didn't. They wanted me to abort. I wouldn't. It did cause a lot of stress for me. She was born perfect and healthy. I've refused more tests w/the last 3 babes. I've had too many come back as lies.