Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
lostiejen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pregnancy and Nutrition

Okay, so a little TMI background info - I am 11 weeks pg and WAY constipated. It has literally been 3 weeks since I have passed anything more than a brussel-sprout size nugget. Gross, I know. I called my OB last week and they told me to take more stool softeners and drink more water (more than the 80-100 oz I currently drink, apparently). Honestly I think the nurse assumed I was exaggerating when I told her how long it has been.

But either way there isn't much I can take without potentially compromising the baby's health (I've tried bulk fiber, dietary fiber, stool softeners, juice, suppositories and milk of mag) so I'm just trying to get through it. But I feel awful. I feel full and heavy all the time, not to mention nauseous. And one solution that seems to helping me is to cut back on solid food. I'm eating fruit and vegetables and the occasional bowl of ramen but I'm supplementing with Slim-Fast shakes. They're tasty, they stave off my nausea and they don't make me feel bloated and sick. Plus, they have at least some nutritional value that's lacking in my raw food diet.

The thing is, people are giving me crap about drinking that. I keep telling them that I'm NOT replacing meals, just supplementing. And I'm drinking three or four shakes a day so I'm getting plenty of calories. I know better than to try to lose weight right now. But I'm still being made to feel like I'm doing something bad.

Can anyone tell me I'm not alone here? You gotta have nutrition and you gotta eat (or drink) what you can comfortably digest. That's all I'm trying to do. Has anyone else resorted to those kinds of supplements or am I really doing something I shouldn't be?

Advertisement

lostiejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
SKITTLES46
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Pregnancy and Nutrition

Personally, I think you'd be better off taking a good prenatal and drinking chocolate milk . Really, slimfast is just a bunch of slim milk, sugar/fructose, flavoring, and vitamins and minerals. Not that I recommend drinking lots of chocolate milk either though....
IME, milk is constipating. I used to use it on purpose with my DD who has really loose bowels over the slightest thing when she was younger. Also white flour can be constipating.
If I were in your shoes I would half live off watermelon for a day or two, then keep it and cucumbers as a part of my diet, and up my magnesium intake (just make sure its a bio available form), as a lack of magnesium can cause all sorts of digestive trouble. That's where I would start.
Anabaptist Christian, Homeschooling, EBF, non-vaxing, non-circ, CD'ing, Wife to M (8-15-98), Blessed with DD 11, DS 7, DS 5, and my two reversal babes!, DS 16 months, and #5 due Jan '11!
SKITTLES46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

Try an enema. It's safe once in a while and can get things going again. You have to get those bowels moving again.

I don't think SlimFast is toxic or anything, but there are better things out there. What about making your own fruit smoothies with cocoa powder in them? I do that all the time. Bananas, strawberries, a big handful of spinach or two, maybe some protein powder, and blend. There are infinite combinations and they're really good for you, and still liquid.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Try green smoothies made with spinach (I would steer clear of bananas since they can add to constipation) instead of the Slim-fast. What kind of vitamins are you taking? Some forms of iron can cause constipation.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
MorePleaseMom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would make my own smoothies with yogurt of kefir and ditch the slimfast. It's full of junk and not very healthy. You can add greens, frest fruit, etc. The probiotics in yogurt and kefir will help with bowel function too. Stay away from too many grains and pasteurized milk, it can stop you up worse.
Also up your magnesium levels and try to get a good whole food prenatal. They are better absorbed and will not cause constipation as easily. Rainbow light and New Chapter are two good brands.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Leah52
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePleaseMom View Post
I would make my own smoothies with yogurt of kefir and ditch the slimfast. It's full of junk and not very healthy. You can add greens, frest fruit, etc. The probiotics in yogurt and kefir will help with bowel function too. Stay away from too many grains and pasteurized milk, it can stop you up worse.
Also up your magnesium levels and try to get a good whole food prenatal. They are better absorbed and will not cause constipation as easily. Rainbow light and New Chapter are two good brands.
Oh, you just reminded me. I took probiotics every morning with my last pregnancy to prevent Strep B and it made me super regular.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #7
lostiejen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the input, ladies. I know the premade shakes aren't the best but they're so darn easy. lol. Sometimes just the thought of mixing up my own shake - cutting fruit and opening yogurt and assembling it - makes me nauseous. That sounds silly but the smells make me gag, especially after I first wake up. It's so much easier to just pop open a slimfast or ensure. But I do know they have a lot of sugar so it's not something I plan to keep up my whole pregnancy, just for a couple of weeks. When I was pregnant with my first, I ended up losing 15 pounds in my first trimester because I couldn't stomach anything and I really don't want to do that again.

I'm going to try some probiotics and maybe an enema. I haven't done one yet because I was worried that if the glycerine suppositories didn't have any effect, the enema will be similarly disappointing. But, yeah, I think that if I can get things moving I will feel SO much better and then none of this will even be an issue.
lostiejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
lil'mommakaye
Registered Users
seller

i am in the same boat momma! and i drink plenty of fluids ect! And not much dairy. i do crave red meat now and then and i know that blocks me up bad! probiotics are a great bonus! They work great! and so do natural digestive enzymes. made of whole foods. I NEED to go and get me more for this PG cause i am baloted bad and constipated!
I believe o took Nuzyme when i was pg w/ DS and it worked wonders!

Krystal
Momma to 99, 07 & Stella Grace 10/28/10
~My Star In Heaven~
lil'mommakaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostiejen View Post
Thanks for the input, ladies. I know the premade shakes aren't the best but they're so darn easy. lol. Sometimes just the thought of mixing up my own shake - cutting fruit and opening yogurt and assembling it - makes me nauseous. That sounds silly but the smells make me gag, especially after I first wake up. It's so much easier to just pop open a slimfast or ensure. But I do know they have a lot of sugar so it's not something I plan to keep up my whole pregnancy, just for a couple of weeks. When I was pregnant with my first, I ended up losing 15 pounds in my first trimester because I couldn't stomach anything and I really don't want to do that again.

I'm going to try some probiotics and maybe an enema. I haven't done one yet because I was worried that if the glycerine suppositories didn't have any effect, the enema will be similarly disappointing. But, yeah, I think that if I can get things moving I will feel SO much better and then none of this will even be an issue.
Honestly I drank the costco version of the slimfast shakes with every pregnancy, especially at 3 in the morning when you wake up starving...I don't think there is anything wrong with them...As long as your still eating they make great low calorie snacks that are packed full of vitamins...I used the costco ones since they aren't made with artificial sweeteners and are still only 200 calories...They're better than losing so much weight...Though LIke PP mentioned the combination of hormones and vitamins could cause your constipation issue...I'm afraid I can't give you alot of advice on the Constipation issue except that maybe(just a theory here) baby is using every ounce of what you ingest...Seems to me that during pregnancy mine are just never very big...But if you really feel constipated and not just baby bloated I could easily be wrong...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #10
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostiejen View Post

You can get frozen fruit for smoothies and just toss it in the blender with some water or juice and spinnach and blend. That's what I do. No prep time, no dealing with cutting fruits, just toss it in and blend. . .