Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
fluffybunsdiapers
Registered Users
Formerly: paulzangel
seller

My Mood:
Questions of Foster to adopt/adoption

I've been on ds for quite a while but have been mia for the last few months due to usmc commitments...I asked simmilar questions about a year or so ago but my whole life has turned upside down since then,so I was just wondering if any mamas out there had some good advice for me. I have been medically discharged from the USMC, so I am starting over as a civilian-my husband just informed me after he came home from Iraq that he no longer wants to be married (a couple of months ago) and I have a beautiful 2 yo daughter who has some health problems which land us in the hospital frequently. I've always wanted to adopt and my husband and I were going to do foster to adopt, but at the last min he pulled out and didn't want to do it anymore-I understand why now, but anyway-I've always wanted to adopt a child and have been seriously considering foster to adopt- I know my life is not in the right place right now to beable to care for another child, however my goals are to be in that postion before the end of the year, I have to find a stable job (i am a certified teacher and taught elementary and pre-k before enlisting in the USMC) and a decent home before I can move on to the foster to adopt/adopt process. Due to my injeries the doctors have recommended that I don't get pregnant anytime in the next few years. This just makes me want to push forward with this even more and I know in my heart that this is the right thing to do for my family-(after my long speech-sorry-on to the questions)
HOw would you start the process in this position? I know i need to talk to dss and work through them for foster to adopt...Is that the best way to go in my situation (being a single mother ect)
I was wanting to stay near my family- is that considered at all when you foster or adopt? having family support?
Is there any other advice any mamas would like to share? I've prayed about this for a long time and I know its the right thing to do, I just want to make sure that I am being realistic on a time line and with other expectations, I've done some research on the foster to adopt process in North Carolina but I don't know much about straight adoption or anything like that-so any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks for all the support mamas! and its so great to be back here on ds-I truly missed it here!

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Questions of Foster to adopt/adoption

Get yourself stable and in a good place then call DSS and ask when their next foster parenting class is. It does not matter, at all, that you're single. It only matters that you're stable and can provide a safe home.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

Are you at Cherry Point?
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
fluffybunsdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm at Camp Lejeune-but live in Richlands
Old 01-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
fluffybunsdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Sarah. I will look for the next class after I have all of my personal stuff worked out!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Chris10
Registered Users
seller
seller

OK. I live right next to CP and DH works there. I can't give any advice on dealing with Onslow DSS. Sorry!
Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote