Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:
empty gestational sack

My dear, dear friend had a miscarriage about a year ago. they've gotten pregnant again but she has been spotting since conception. they went in for an u/s sound and the tech was able to find the gestational sack, but said it was empty. I have never heard of this. It either means there is no baby or they couldn't see the baby properly. Can anyone point me to some good research?

Advertisement

Laura Josephine (3)
and William Thomas
newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Re: empty gestational sack

Misdiagnosed Miscarriage .com
Some refer to this as a blighted ovum. Unfortunately the medical community is not particularly emotionally supportive about what such diagnosis could "mean" to a mothers heart. She may hear things like "it was never a baby". But it is, and it was to her. Let her talk. Listen. And love/support her. Hugs. Miscarriage is always difficult.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #3
lemon.extract
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Blighted ovum, I had that with my last pregnancy.
lemon.extract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

I had a blighted ovum in February last year. Very painful... I'm so sorry for your friend. Unless she is sure of her dates, it may just be too early too see the fetal pole and heartbeat. I started with spotting as well and didn't actually have the full miscarriage until a month later, which was very painful all over again.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

If she is unsure, she could have them do a blood draw and see if her hcg is going up as it should. If it is, then maybe dates are just wrong. If not, she will at least know sooner.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #6
newbiemama
Registered Users
Formerly: justanauntie

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamInGreen View Post
Misdiagnosed Miscarriage .com
Some refer to this as a blighted ovum. Unfortunately the medical community is not particularly emotionally supportive about what such diagnosis could "mean" to a mothers heart. She may hear things like "it was never a baby". But it is, and it was to her. Let her talk. Listen. And love/support her. Hugs. Miscarriage is always difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby's mom View Post
I had a blighted ovum in February last year. Very painful... I'm so sorry for your friend. Unless she is sure of her dates, it may just be too early too see the fetal pole and heartbeat. I started with spotting as well and didn't actually have the full miscarriage until a month later, which was very painful all over again.
thanks for the tips! her levels have gone up slightly, but not significantly. i will pray for a miracle!!
Laura Josephine (3)
and William Thomas
newbiemama is offline   Reply With Quote