Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Madame Medina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone else not had an appt yet?

I've still not had an appointment. I want a home birth this time around and have been interviewing home birth midwives. Once we decided on a provider we will go ahead and make an appointment.
Though DH has been pushing me just to go to the Dr on base and at least hear the heart beat. I"m trying to avoid that route as I really don't want to hear an OB's opinion when I tell them I'm not wanting a hospital birth. Besides I'm only 9weeks and know it's hit or miss if we get a heart beat this early.

Advertisement

The New Spring Catalog is HERE! For every $31 you spend in March get your choice of seven totes at 50% OFF! Thirty-One Gifts All DS mama's who host a catalog party with me earn DOUBLE in Free Hostess Credit. Looking to earn some extra money? Join my team in March and get your kit for FREE. Ask me how.
Madame Medina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I go in Wed. and I'll be just about 10 1/2 weeks along. I'm nervous (don't know why), and typically have gone in a 8-9 weeks, but my OB was out of town.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
mandymatus
Registered Users

My Mood:

tomorrow is the "interview" appt. where they do all the paperwork (i go to a hospital clinic and they are having a big computer overhaul) i'm supposed to call midwife after that to see her. i'm guessing i'll see her next week... i'm 10 weeks already.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

with DS in 2008 my OB saw me at 8 weeks and then we moved and I waited until I was almost 8 months to start interviewing HB MW! (I'm a procrastinator) I lucked out with them as they were pioneers of CT. Then with DD in 2010 we had moved again and I did not see anyone until I was 8 months pregnant and ended up with a MW that was highly recommended by a friend but we didn't mesh. I was really upset at myself for having waited so long as the new state I was in wasn't HB friendly.

When I went in to labor my MW (the one that didn't mesh) was away due to death in her family so her backup MWs came in. I LOVED THEM. I loved them so much. We basically met as I was in labor, they massaged me through the contractions and were able to put me to sleep so that I could have some rest before the REAL work began. Then when I woke up my labor was 3 hrs of which I spent 15 pushing. They were amazing. ABSOLUTELY amazing. Btw since we were living with my inlaws I basically birthed in my MIL's room as it was the biggest room and could accommodate me, my husband and the two midwives with their equipment. I love my ILs too.

After the birth I kept using them for gyno work until the miscarriage when I went back to my original OB (she's great but she deals primarily with multiples and everything to her is high risk) she detected the pregnancy and miscarriage. Back to 2012 I missed my period in June so I contacted my MW team within 3 days as I collected myself and was seen at 6 weeks for blood work. Then at 7 weeks for an ultrasound, then at 8 weeks for more blood work. I was supposed to see her at 9 weeks but had to cancel and this past week she was on vacation.

So my next appt with them is in two weeks when I'll be about 12-13 weeks. One of my MW is in Mexico assisting women with homebirths and will be back sometime in September so in the mean time I'm seeing the remaining MW. Both of them are an amazing tag team so I don't care who I see as long as its one of them.
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #15
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:

I go for my first appts at 10 weeks, on Weds. They usually try to see mamas at 8 weeks, but midwives are in very high demand around here - in that there aren't any around here, and anyone who doesn't want to deliver in the butcher shop which is our local hospital must travel to another city for care. I got on the waitlist at 13 DPO, had my file flagged as a priority a few weeks later by asking it to be labelled as a home birth, called twice a week begging for care, and got very lucky that my EDD fell in a 10 day window before the newest midwife leaves for vacation next year. Of course if I go over, that will be a whole other fun situation, but I'll deal with it if needed.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm not at all a procrastinator about this sort of thing, but I am waiting to hear back from the midwife I hope to work with this time around. There are only two midwives in the area that are close enough to attend a home birth in the Buffalo area (that I know of, anyway....). I saw the other local midwife with Orion's birth. While she is competent and did a fine job, we didn't feel that we connected personality-wise with her and would prefer to have a midwife that we do connect with this time. We absolutely LOVE our first midwife, but moved far away and she is no longer practicing. Fingers crossed for me, please, Mamas. I so badly want this birth and pregnancy to go as close to perfect as possible because it's our last. Having the right midwife for us is necessary to achieve this.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #17
My_Tree_Grows
Registered Users
Formerly: em**nti
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezpoofs View Post
I'm not at all a procrastinator about this sort of thing, but I am waiting to hear back from the midwife I hope to work with this time around. There are only two midwives in the area that are close enough to attend a home birth in the Buffalo area (that I know of, anyway....). I saw the other local midwife with Orion's birth. While she is competent and did a fine job, we didn't feel that we connected personality-wise with her and would prefer to have a midwife that we do connect with this time. We absolutely LOVE our first midwife, but moved far away and she is no longer practicing. Fingers crossed for me, please, Mamas. I so badly want this birth and pregnancy to go as close to perfect as possible because it's our last. Having the right midwife for us is necessary to achieve this.
I absolutely understand and agree. My last birth went pear-shaped for a number of reasons, but the personality clash with our midwives was the biggest factor. Are you on aa waiting list? Best wishes that you get the provider you want!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
sweetestday
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep, the one midwife that works for you is so important. Ours lives 8 hours away, but we still go with her. I will see her the beginning of Aug for the first prenatal, hopefully. I'm looking forward to hearing that heartbeat!
sweetestday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
momomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't yet, I'm about 8.5 weeks. I have a prenatal consultation with a potential midwife up by our new house for next Friday, so I'll be about 10 weeks by that appt and then I'm hoping if I love them and want to use them that I can ask them to order an ultrasound. I just want to hear a heartbeat and see the little booger. I'm worried if I wait too long they won't be able to confirm the due date. Usually when I do the early U/S my due date gets pushed back later by almost a week. That is good for me since my last was 2 weeks late. I'd love to have the latest due date possible so I can just relax and have my homebirth without worrying about going too late.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
dannimom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm doing a UP so no appointment yet (or ever).
dannimom is offline   Reply With Quote