Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

4-7ish book recommendations please!

I love reading with the kids and they love it too. We have tons of little kids (0-3ish) books but a couple of our kids are outgrowing those. Plus I'm getting sick to death of some of them. We have lots of older kid books, but we had gotten rid of a lot of the middle range because we lived right next door to the library there for a while. I want to get some new ones but I am not sure what. What do you love at that age?
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 4-7ish book recommendations please!

My niece (7yo) loves Elephant and Piggie books and Pete the Cat. I dont know much about either series but I know she loves reading them.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

For read-alouds: Peter Pan is lovely. I discovered Daisy Dawson books last year and they are really sweet shortish chapter books perfect for that age range. My 6-year-old daughter got a few for Christmas and LOVES me to read them to her. Little House on the Prairie books are really good for all ages.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
My niece (7yo) loves Elephant and Piggie books and Pete the Cat. I dont know much about either series but I know she loves reading them.
We have several Pete the Cat and he's pretty popular. We have a few Elephant and Piggie. After looking at the bookshelf tonight, I think I am just sick of our books lol. Turns out we have quite a few, I just don't want to keep reading them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
For read-alouds: Peter Pan is lovely. I discovered Daisy Dawson books last year and they are really sweet shortish chapter books perfect for that age range. My 6-year-old daughter got a few for Christmas and LOVES me to read them to her. Little House on the Prairie books are really good for all ages.
I love Little House. A lot. I think I have read them to the big kids three times or so. Daisy Dawson--that looks cute. Have you read Junie B, and if so could you compare the two? I really think Kennah would love Junie B to read on her own but I do not love what Junie B models. If they were like a wholesome version of that, that would be awesome.

I need to dig out my Honey For A Child's Heart book. I know they have lots of recommendations but it's been a long time since I've looked at it.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #5
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I love Little House. A lot. I think I have read them to the big kids three times or so. Daisy Dawson--that looks cute. Have you read Junie B, and if so could you compare the two? I really think Kennah would love Junie B to read on her own but I do not love what Junie B models. If they were like a wholesome version of that, that would be awesome.

I need to dig out my Honey For A Child's Heart book. I know they have lots of recommendations but it's been a long time since I've looked at it.
I've read a little of Junie B and I don't care for them. These are really well written and such sweet, uplifting stories, and I think you would love them. I've been very impressed. I don't like the dumbing-down of the language in Junie B...and I don't like the tone. They just seem more negative to me. These are not that way at all. They are very wholesome stories about a kind little girl who loves animals.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #6
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

My kids have enjoyed Nate the Great, Cam Jansen, Hank the Cowdog, Little House, Magic Treehouse, Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, virtually all the Sonlight read-alouds, books by Clyde Robert Bulla (might be Robert Clyde -- I can't ever remember), the first few Narnia books, Eloise (technically a picture book, but they tend to be longer). Boxcar Children, American Girl books (mainly the historic ones), Sugar Creek Gang, the knock-off Little House books (newer ones written about Laura's female ancestors).

I think that's it. It's been awhile since we had that age group in the house. I am thinking there was another series the girls really enjoyed, but I can't think of it right now. We have had so many books go through this house.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
I've read a little of Junie B and I don't care for them. These are really well written and such sweet, uplifting stories, and I think you would love them. I've been very impressed. I don't like the dumbing-down of the language in Junie B...and I don't like the tone. They just seem more negative to me. These are not that way at all. They are very wholesome stories about a kind little girl who loves animals.
Perfect! I feel the same way about Junie and that sounds like exactly what I'd love for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
My kids have enjoyed Nate the Great, Cam Jansen, Hank the Cowdog, Little House, Magic Treehouse, Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, virtually all the Sonlight read-alouds, books by Clyde Robert Bulla (might be Robert Clyde -- I can't ever remember), the first few Narnia books, Eloise (technically a picture book, but they tend to be longer). Boxcar Children, American Girl books (mainly the historic ones), Sugar Creek Gang, the knock-off Little House books (newer ones written about Laura's female ancestors).

I think that's it. It's been awhile since we had that age group in the house. I am thinking there was another series the girls really enjoyed, but I can't think of it right now. We have had so many books go through this house.
Thank you! We have some (or have read at the library) some of those and I will look into the rest.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:29 PM   #8
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Ivy and Bean is about two little 7 year old friends. I have not read them myself but trust who recommended them to me.

We love Little House.

If you haven't read Hank the Cowdog..... go first thing in the morning and buy the series. That is our all-time favorite. They are hysterical. Actually, we have been going through the audio book series while we drive. I laugh so hard I'm in tears most of the time. The kids love him so much.

Ramona Quimby books are fantastic. We read the whole series aloud. They are easy and fast to read as well.

Fancy Nancy has an older series that Kenna may like. AB loves it.

Classics like Charlotte's Web, Mary Poppins, etc. The books are so much better than the movies.

If I think of more, I will add them.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 10:55 PM   #9
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Oh yes! I had forgotten about EB White (Charlotte's Web, Trumpet of the Swan, Stuart Little) and Ramona. By the same author as Ramona is Socks, which my kids loved, and the Ralph S Mouse books, which were also a hit.

You might also look into some Jack Prelutsky poetry. We loved his collection called Scranimal Island. It is a collection of poems about a trip to Scranimal Island, where the animals are all mixtures of animal and plant. For instance, there are broccolions and a radishark, and toucanemones (okay, so that's a mix of two animals). Fun book. Jeff Foxworthy also has at least one poetry book for kids out that we've enjoyed, and Shel Silverstein.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:46 AM   #10
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

For older read aloud picture books, try to track down Graeme Base books. I'm thinking Sign of the Seahorse, Enigma, 11th Hour, many of his books are perfect for you to read to this age group, with pictures and some interactive features, but would be too difficult for them to read themselves.

Graeme Base is a prolific author with over 60 books to his credit, some of them award winning. I am currently reading Discovery of Dragons to my 6 year old son and he loves the humor and illustrations, although as an adult I'm really enjoying the other layers of humor in there too that my son probably won't get until he's older.

https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=g...ooks&tab=books