Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-10-2017, 07:23 AM   #1
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
CAT Exam/Terra Nova

I'm in administering it today and tomorrow to my 7 year old.

Anyone else use this exam?

I WILL sharing my thoughts after we finish tomorrow.

Advertisement

Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: CAT Exam/Terra Nova

Never heard of it. Do you have to do the testing for the state or are you just doing it for your own information?
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

My mil used CAT on her kids, but that was years ago. I think she liked having some form of measurement, but she didn't feel that it was really up to her standards if that makes any sense. She liked knowing her kids weren't struggling, but didn't feel that she got a good read beyond that. It has surely changed some since then, though!
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

In my state we can choose our own end of year assessment. I usually give a CAT exam at around this grade (1st according to school district) I do it :

-For our own benefit. Kind of like a check that they are up to speed compared to others in that grade. Like El Chorrito's mom I don't find them up to my standard but they have given me some tidbits of useful information.
-It's a language the school district understands without giving much information on what we do in our day to day.
-I want the kids to be accustomed to standardized testing. Not that I do it every year but I think it helped the older ones I believe they didn't suffer test anxiety when the big tests came around (PSAT/SAT/AP) since they understood it as a necessary nuisance.

I'm just typing the above out in case someone is considering it. There are plenty of reasons not to do it too.

Anyway they completely changed the CAT exam. It's going to be fine but I have a big rant scheduled for tomorrow. My dh has already heard it. You guys will hear it tomorrow.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #5
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi everyone,

In PA standardized testing is required in grades 3, 5 and 8. I always highly recommend to families to use the CAT test to satisfy this requirement. The CAT test is relatively inexpensive, easy to obtain and can been administered and completed in less than 3 hours (give or take depending on child). Some of the other tests require that only a certified teacher or psychologist administer it. I don't feel like these tests are great indicators of who your child is and what he/she knows. Really though what standardized test is a complete accurate description of who your child is?
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #6
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are done finally.

I agree with R055ANA that if you are going to give a standardized exam to a homeschool this is the one. It's the least Common Core influenced from what I've bern told.

It used to be $25. I paid $40+ for the grade we needed. It's lower for higher grades.

Test booklet was over 75 pages long. Granted this is a full battery and there print is big and there are lots of pictures. You can opt to give only the sections you want.

This version is acutally more difficult for those with auditory processing issues. Not every question is written out in test booklet. Most are read aloud and only answers to choose from appear in test booklet.

Last edited by Agla; 07-11-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Agla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We use it and I do it just for my info. I like seeing where they fall with other kids but I hate how they but what grade they are working at. From what I have read that part is not very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
We use it and I do it just for my info. I like seeing where they fall with other kids but I hate how they but what grade they are working at. From what I have read that part is not very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I learned a few things about ds just administering it. I learned I need much more patience.

I had other issues with it too. They keep pushing the standardized tests and revising them to be more inclusive. I think there is more to inclusivity than just coming up with fun questions and using children of different backgrounds in the pictures.

An old exam might have 2+2=______. There 's no bias in that straightforward no frills question. Pay attention learn your math facts and you'll be ok answering the question (barring an issue with processing issues)

There were few questions that straightforward. It was all a convoluted story about random people doing random things the child may have never experienced.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:21 AM   #9
R055ANA
Registered Users

Alga, I am not positive on this but I thought if your child has IEP accommodations than the test has to include those. Meaning if the child needs things to be read to them as stated in IEP than the child can have the CAT test read to him.

I usually recommend families purchase the on-line version. In PA parents may NOT administer the test to satisfy the homeschooling law requirement so it is a great option to take the online test because your computer is the proctor. It is also cheaper. The site I recommend is:
http://www.shopchristianliberty.com/...nline-version/
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:20 AM   #10
Agla
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R055ANA View Post
Alga, I am not positive on this but I thought if your child has IEP accommodations than the test has to include those. Meaning if the child needs things to be read to them as stated in IEP than the child can have the CAT test read to him.

I usually recommend families purchase the on-line version. In PA parents may NOT administer the test to satisfy the homeschooling law requirement so it is a great option to take the online test because your computer is the proctor. It is also cheaper. The site I recommend is:
http://www.shopchristianliberty.com/...nline-version/
I would need the directions written out in addition to having them read for one of my children.

The tests drop in price everywhere AFTER grade 1. I checked line options and they all started at grade 2 or above.

PA sounds very strict. I thought MA laws were cumbersome as I report twice a year.