Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-08-2017, 06:13 AM   #21
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Back to School Chat!

Yay it is easy Friday!!!! Today all we do is journal, math, and spelling. Then we watch a movie to go with our unit. Today's movie is Fly Away Home.

Still no birds for our journal but I hope to go on a nature walk next week. It could have something to do with our dogs, too. Apollo was eating the bird seed I put on the porch for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:24 AM   #22
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I got a sad email last night.

http://shemonline.org/

This is the closest convention to me by far, and the only one I've been to. I definitely understand but I don't like it.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #23
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post

This is the closest convention to me by far, and the only one I've been to. I definitely understand but I don't like it.

Oh no!!! I hate it when something closes because the online industry kills it.

Don't you live near Springfield? I think Teach Them Diligently will be there next year.

I am super excited because that convention is coming to the "big town" beside us. I have already registered.

On the subject of conferences, do any of you bring your children? I know they have children's activities and classes and such but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them with strangers. Thoughts?
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #24
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Oh no!!! I hate it when something closes because the online industry kills it.

Don't you live near Springfield? I think Teach Them Diligently will be there next year.

I am super excited because that convention is coming to the "big town" beside us. I have already registered.

On the subject of conferences, do any of you bring your children? I know they have children's activities and classes and such but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them with strangers. Thoughts?
I am about an hour from Springfield. That's where the shem convention was.

We took our kids the first time we went but they were all pretty little and we kept them with us. I am not comfortable leaving my kids with strangers either. Keegan and Rachel are now old enough and responsible enough that I would trust them to know if something was unacceptable and to tell us if something was going on. They know what to expect, what appropriate behavior is (from themselves and others) and are very trustworthy. So I would feel mostly ok leaving them with people I didn't know well--if it was an environment and what not I felt comfortable with. Like they went to church camp this summer. I do know a few of the people there but by no means everyone. It was hard for me to leave them--but I do need to start trusting them more because they have earned that and I don't doubt if something shifty was happening they would let me know. It was a great experience for them, and they are excited to go back.

Kennah, on the other hand, is far from that level. She isn't that much younger than Rachel but her development has been very different. I would in no way trust her to tell us if something is going on, and I would not leave her with people we didn't know well. One of both DH and my personal parenting fears is someone taking advantage of her. I am hoping at some point that things will click and she will be a little more capable of independence, but that's something we are going to have to play by ear.

The littles I would not leave with anyone I don't know well. They are too young for that IMO.

All that babbling to say I think that it depends on the ages and maturity levels of the children. I think it *can* be a great experience for them, but it isn't something I'm going to automatically be comfortable with just because the workers are background checked or whatever.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #25
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just went to look up teach them diligently and I don't see Springfield coming up?
Old 09-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #26
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I am about an hour from Springfield. That's where the shem convention was.

We took our kids the first time we went but they were all pretty little and we kept them with us. I am not comfortable leaving my kids with strangers either. Keegan and Rachel are now old enough and responsible enough that I would trust them to know if something was unacceptable and to tell us if something was going on. They know what to expect, what appropriate behavior is (from themselves and others) and are very trustworthy. So I would feel mostly ok leaving them with people I didn't know well--if it was an environment and what not I felt comfortable with. Like they went to church camp this summer. I do know a few of the people there but by no means everyone. It was hard for me to leave them--but I do need to start trusting them more because they have earned that and I don't doubt if something shifty was happening they would let me know. It was a great experience for them, and they are excited to go back.

Kennah, on the other hand, is far from that level. She isn't that much younger than Rachel but her development has been very different. I would in no way trust her to tell us if something is going on, and I would not leave her with people we didn't know well. One of both DH and my personal parenting fears is someone taking advantage of her. I am hoping at some point that things will click and she will be a little more capable of independence, but that's something we are going to have to play by ear.

The littles I would not leave with anyone I don't know well. They are too young for that IMO.

All that babbling to say I think that it depends on the ages and maturity levels of the children. I think it *can* be a great experience for them, but it isn't something I'm going to automatically be comfortable with just because the workers are background checked or whatever.

Thank you. I'm glad to know I'm not totally unreasonable to not want them to go to the classes. Just because someone is background checked doesn't mean doodly squat to me. All a background check does is show if someone was convicted of something. What if they were never caught??????

My older ones are super sharp and we have talked extensively about tricks someone up to no good might use but that doesn't mean
they wouldn't fall prey to someone. I wouldn't take the chance at this age.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #27
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
I just went to look up teach them diligently and I don't see Springfield coming up?

Hmm. I was sure it said Springfield.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #28
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Bummer! I wish they would try the model our Catholic homeschool conference moved to after the organizers retired.

They are sponsored by a college and one major book seller. There are other small vendors but definitely smaller scaled but you still get to see some of the new offerings. The focus is on getting good speakers to support the community's mission. It's free and while scaled down it gives people a chance to meet other homeschoolers and here motivating speakers. You can volunteer too. My only wish is that it had a larger used book section.

My dh and I are cautious. Let's just say I almost drove out two hours to my ds because I was concerned. Unfortunately, we've either experienced stuff or have known about situations that make us watchful. We have a no sleepover policy with the exception of camp and those are vetted thoroughly.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #29
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Bummer! I wish they would try the model our Catholic homeschool conference moved to after the organizers retired.

They are sponsored by a college and one major book seller. There are other small vendors but definitely smaller scaled but you still get to see some of the new offerings. The focus is on getting good speakers to support the community's mission. It's free and while scaled down it gives people a chance to meet other homeschoolers and here motivating speakers. You can volunteer too. My only wish is that it had a larger used book section.

My dh and I are cautious. Let's just say I almost drove out two hours to my ds because I was concerned. Unfortunately, we've either experienced stuff or have known about situations that make us watchful. We have a no sleepover policy with the exception of camp and those are vetted thoroughly.

We also have a no sleepover policy. My cousin is wanting my kids to spend the night with them next door because her kids have new rooms. I am wrestling with what to say. Neither DH nor I want them to spend the night.

Our kids do spend the night with my mother who is next door on the other side. And that's it. No one else.

So technically we have a no sleepover policy except for my mother. It also doesn't help that her kids have slept over here. It was for a work thing one weekend (they are caterers) and they didn't have anyone else to keep them. I totally didn't mind them being here but I don't want to reciprocate and allow mine over there overnight without me. Sigh. Why is everything so complicated? Maybe the rapture will come today.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:37 AM   #30
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Jen-your family could come here and stay with us and we could all go to TTD together!!!!

Do y'all like pallets?????