Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #11
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: So overwhelmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
I used to tutor some kids who did online school and I personally all hated it. There was busy work, like a PP said,but the kids learned super fast to copy and paste each question into Google for pretty much all of their homework, and they were FAST at it. Since so many other kids do the same online schooling, word for word Google searches worked great. The exact question with an answer was pretty much always available. The kids I was tutoring obviously didn't care about learning the material - they were just interested in getting done in the fastest time possible. The really irritating thing about it was sometimes the answers Google gave them were wrong, but not enough to make them fail the class. Obviously the answers were posted by other students or random people who like to answer questions on forums. It really ticked me off that the state was allowing it as an alternative to public school. I know people can slip through in a classroom too, but this online school really irritated me. I don't know if that's a good representation of all online schooling though.

I don't think it's a good representative. You must have parent involvement. I hope I would be involved enough to know of my kids were cheating or not and put a stop to it if they were.

Or ideally, make it clear from a young age that cheating is dishonest and that's not God-honoring.

Advertisement

MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #12
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's plenty of free or very cheap curriculum out there, and plenty of programs that a 12 year old could teach to himself for the most part if not entirely.

I think the biggest thing to keep in mind though is that this situation is not going to give you a realistic view of what it would be like to actually homeschool, or more importantly (since you've already planned to for the youngers) it will not give your DS a good picture. It's going to be chaotic, DS will have emotional changes to deal with as well as trying to learn a new system all at the same time. Ideally I'd want to give him a few weeks/months to just adjust to the new home and to deschool, then give it a go. Not sure the HS requirements for AL though. Then I'd want to use whatever curriculum I would be planning to use later on rather than just whatever I could get my hands on cheap. At least the same basic style or methods.

Coming into homeschooling with a 12 year old will be more challenging in some ways than starting with a preschool/kindergartener. But you know his personality and have some idea of what areas he excels or struggles with--be aware though that it may just be the way he's been taught a certain subject that has dictated how successful he has been up until now.

I think it could work to move now and start homeschooling as soon as you're settled, as long as you have a good plan in place before the move. Not sure how old your youngers are and if you've started thinking of what methods and/or curricula you might lean towards. I would definitely not try an online program like K12 in order to try out homeschooling if your ultimate plan would be a Charlotte Mason style education, nor vice versa.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFabMama View Post
Hmmmmmmmm. I dunno girl! When I get like that I need caffeine LOL or sugar or something.
I hope you're right. I think the thing that irritated me the most was that it was just a complete waste of their time. If you're just going to race through to complete it and not actually learn any of it, you may as well just drop out of school and get a job somewhere. There is absolutely no benefit to cheating. At least if you have a job you can be getting paid for your time.
Elchorrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #14
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
He is 12 in 7th grade. I want to homeschool my younger kids when they are old enough but DS1 would just be trying it out basically then we would let him choose (HS vs Public) next school year. If he goes to public school for 8th grade itll be his 5th new school in 5yrs thats just not fair so I believe its right to give him the option to homeschool.
His 5th new school in 5 years is definitely something to consider. is this due to moving a lot or is it just the school system that he is in?

What I'm getting at is the hometown I grew up in had you go to different schools for different grades but you were staying with the same kids as you moved up. I really think that makes a difference. It's less adjustment.

It sounds like you are looking to him to make the decision. I tend to do that too with my older kids but I think it's important to realize that it is a lot of pressure for a kid to make a big decision that affects his whole family and maybe he is just saying that he'll move so that he won't inconvenience you or make you wait until the end of the school year.

These are such tough decisions but I think what also comes into play is "what is the reason for moving?" If you're moving because your families income is dependent on it then it's different from a voluntary move. Just lots to consider I hope you are able to find some peace and some good answers.
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #15
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by threekstrio View Post
His 5th new school in 5 years is definitely something to consider. is this due to moving a lot or is it just the school system that he is in?

What I'm getting at is the hometown I grew up in had you go to different schools for different grades but you were staying with the same kids as you moved up. I really think that makes a difference. It's less adjustment.

It sounds like you are looking to him to make the decision. I tend to do that too with my older kids but I think it's important to realize that it is a lot of pressure for a kid to make a big decision that affects his whole family and maybe he is just saying that he'll move so that he won't inconvenience you or make you wait until the end of the school year.

These are such tough decisions but I think what also comes into play is "what is the reason for moving?" If you're moving because your families income is dependent on it then it's different from a voluntary move. Just lots to consider I hope you are able to find some peace and some good answers.
My husband got a promotion and relocated.

Only 1 of the new schools was new because of a move. His elementary school ended at 4th grade so 5th grade was a new school, he started 6th grade after we moved, then the district built a new school and it made the zoning shift which made him (not just him) have to switch middle schools for 7th grade.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:04 PM   #16
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrotski View Post
My husband got a promotion and relocated.

Only 1 of the new schools was new because of a move. His elementary school ended at 4th grade so 5th grade was a new school, he started 6th grade after we moved, then the district built a new school and it made the zoning shift which made him (not just him) have to switch middle schools for 7th grade.
Well a promotion sounds good

Yeah, see sometimes the changes are because of the school district you're in and such...but you're wise to see that that can still affect your child. It is a tough decision and no one can really tell you what to do. I hope the chat here is able to help you gain the perspective that you're looking for.

Handle with prayer, mama!
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote