Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9
Glad we are haveing more momas goin in! Welcome everyone!

Love the pics you two!!!!!!

The coop is looking awsome!

DH now has a deadline for our coop, haha. We got the lo's last night.
5 2 months olds, 5 1 day olds, and 5 2?week olds. I don't have the list of breeds with me, in the car. There are all in their bins enjoying the morning. The big girls are used to being in a coop already, so they are going out as soon as possible. Can't keep the kids away! I'm already more attatched to them than I was when we first got Meg, our doggy.

So yesterday, I managed to toss cynderblocks at the ends of the rows and plant some overflow cabbage in them. I also used the rest of the blocks we had to make a large rectange strawberry bed. They are planted in the holes of the blocks, in the middle of it I put a bim and planted the heirloom asparagus seeds. As soon as the tractor comes home we will fill in around and make a raised bed out of it for my herbs. It will work out perfect. The downfall is, the only place we could find for it was at the edge of the garden plot. Bummer. I also got all the big tomatos in their row. We have to run to town today to get supplies for the coop and chicks. Hope we don't spend the last of the saveings today, haha!

BTW, Cayden is feeling even better
Do you think I could plant bell peppers inside cinderblocks? That would open up a little room for something else in the garden.

I'm glad your little guy is feeling better too!

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #12
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: MAY Flowers ... \*/ Garden Chat thread \*/

I don't see how it could hurt. I know if you have poured concrete in the soil is can cause problems. Concrete has ingredients that harm the growth of plants. But, I have grown in blocks before with no problem. I would persionally try it. I wish I had some leftover for some tomatos. I need some extra planting space.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh my goodness! Weeds are relentless! I did 3 rows yesterday, and 1 row this morning. Still have another 4 or 5 to go. They're not easy to pull up either. They're rooted deep down since that plot used to be completely covered in grass.

I'm tempted to put the black weed blocker fabric down with some mulch on top for the walkways. Any reason why that would be a bad idea?

It's mostly the walking rows that get the weeds, not really where the plants are:

Rows with weeds:

Rows that I took the weeds out (although some buggers are growing back already):

Baby tomato:

Bigger but still baby tomato:

My carrots from seeds:

My zucchini and squash from seeds:

My green beans from seeds:

a tiny strawberry:

and the whole sha-bang:

and the puppies:

Last edited by myall4him2; 05-02-2012 at 09:00 AM.
myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

anyone ever grow sugar baby watermelons (the vining type)? i've got some seeds to grow some this year, but i'm not sure where to put them. there's not a lot of space in my garden. next year we're expanding, but this year it's just not happening. i really just want to grow 1 plant to try it out. i have a small section at one end of my garden that i was thinking of growing it in, and then maybe putting some quick, cold weather stuff in there when it's all done? is that feasible? when do watermelons usually finish up? in order to have room, i would probably need to spiral in on itself some, is that possible? the other options i have considered are planting it in a mostly empty flower bed up by the house, but i'm concerned about stuff i've read about possible contamination in soils right up next to a house. or buying a large container to plant it in and letting it run over the side and out into the yar somewhere. i don't have the time/means to trellis it. thoughts?

i must say though, my garden is looking awesome. i predict we're a couple weeks away from eating fresh lettuce and radishes out of the garden i know i got super lucky being up in chicago, my dad swore that everything was going to freeze. but, while we've had some cold weather, the cold weather veggies have taken it well, and i haven't lost a single plant because of the cold. yea! can't wait for my first garden veggies!
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Sabriel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
ForumRunner_20120502_153751.jpg

How do these look? Did I pull them up too early? There are more still in the ground, but I'm nervous that I did it wrong!
Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
Sabriel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

sarahannecloud9 Yay for chicks! I SO wish that we could have some, but we will have to wait until we move in a couple of years. I'm glad Cayden is feeling better.

myall4him2 Everything looks great! I'm jealous of your strawberries! We just planted ours a couple of weeks ago...

Liadan I'm new to gardening, but I was considering planting sugar baby watermelon this year too. So, I'll be watching out for replies!

3lilbubs Thanks for the suggestions! There are ants everywhere, and they are definitely caring for the aphids. I just put out some borax, so hopefully that will take care of them. I will try the soapy water spray tonight for the aphids, and if that doesn't work, then I will try the neem oil!xcdr
Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Sarah, Yay! Glad Cayden is feeling better! Now we need some chicky baby pictures! It's a requirement, lady! I need to get a new pic of mine, they are changing so fast, esp. the EE's! My big girls (rir's and bsl's are almost fully feathered in and think they are so big.

Treegirl75, I think bell peppers would love the heat cinderblocks could offer! Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by myall4him2 View Post
Oh my goodness! Weeds are relentless! I did 3 rows yesterday, and 1 row this morning. Still have another 4 or 5 to go. They're not easy to pull up either. They're rooted deep down since that plot used to be completely covered in grass.

I'm tempted to put the black weed blocker fabric down with some mulch on top for the walkways. Any reason why that would be a bad idea?

It's mostly the walking rows that get the weeds, not really where the plants are:

Rows with weeds:

Rows that I took the weeds out (although some buggers are growing back already):

Baby tomato:

My carrots from seeds:

a tiny strawberry:

and the whole sha-bang:

and the puppies:
Holy cannoli, it's all gorgeous! Good job! Only reason I could think of not putting black plastic down in a path is that it could get waterlogged and gross. What about wood chips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23 View Post
anyone ever grow sugar baby watermelons (the vining type)? i've got some seeds to grow some this year, but i'm not sure where to put them. there's not a lot of space in my garden. next year we're expanding, but this year it's just not happening. i really just want to grow 1 plant to try it out. i have a small section at one end of my garden that i was thinking of growing it in, and then maybe putting some quick, cold weather stuff in there when it's all done? is that feasible? when do watermelons usually finish up? in order to have room, i would probably need to spiral in on itself some, is that possible? the other options i have considered are planting it in a mostly empty flower bed up by the house, but i'm concerned about stuff i've read about possible contamination in soils right up next to a house. or buying a large container to plant it in and letting it run over the side and out into the yar somewhere. i don't have the time/means to trellis it. thoughts?

i must say though, my garden is looking awesome. i predict we're a couple weeks away from eating fresh lettuce and radishes out of the garden i know i got super lucky being up in chicago, my dad swore that everything was going to freeze. but, while we've had some cold weather, the cold weather veggies have taken it well, and i haven't lost a single plant because of the cold. yea! can't wait for my first garden veggies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabriel View Post
Attachment 103545

How do these look? Did I pull them up too early? There are more still in the ground, but I'm nervous that I did it wrong!
No they look great! Wow! I grew watermelons last year along with some other melons. I was expecting vast expanses of melon vines but both types of vine only got about 1/2 ft tall and spread 8" at the longest vine. Each vine can only handle a load of 2-3 large melons at a time, so once they get there all the other fruits drop off and they don't grow much anymore. Watermelons vines are very slender and the leaves are lacy as compared to Pumpkins. They don't require nearly the same space. If you wanted to, you could easily snip the end of the vine once you had a couple melons past the soft rind stage to prevent further growth.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #18
cutebluebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry I've been sparse today. I got called in to work for the next few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
LOL, Kate did you forget last year you were baking a baby and sewing/knitting up a storm? I'm not surprised you weren't on your hands and knees tending to the garden! What you have looks great though. I dunno about alfredo, wouldn't that be a bit cloying with the sweetness and then lemony flavor on top?

ETA: and the rhubarb, what are you crazy! Chop it up and cook it with strawberries and make pie! Or freezer jam.. best eaten on an english muffin over the sink before the kids see you... nom nom nom....
I've never used rhubarb, so I'm clueless there! And speaking of freezer jam, we're on our last jar of it from the raspberries we grew last summer. I'm wondering how all the rain last year is going to affect this year's crop.

And I was out there just a picking veggies away last year, baby in the oven and all. Heck, when I was pregnant with Noah, I was out harvesting green beans in labor! I still haven't lived that one down. "Honey, the green beans can wait! They don't care! Go sit and rest!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by myall4him2 View Post

Rows with weeds:

Baby tomato:

My carrots from seeds:

a tiny strawberry:

and the whole sha-bang:

and the puppies:
Looks great!! Your berries are already turning! Ours are just being pollinated. I can't stand weeds... and yet they never give up here either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23 View Post

We've never had any luck with watermelons... or pumpkins. At two different houses no less. No clue why either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabriel View Post
Attachment 103545

For not being a fan of radishes, I think they look great! You'll know if it was too early when you eat them. They'll let you know.

Fabrics : Fitteds : Inserts : Boy Clothes : Girl Clothes
cutebluebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #19
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies!

I'm also trying to grow some watermelons. Curious to see how they turn out!

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #20
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm gonna show the pics in a thread too, but here are the new additions! All 15 loud littles, lol!

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...oud9/chickens/

And the progression of the coop. I have to paint today and take some final pics.

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...necloud9/coop/
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote