Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #161
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: June ~ \*/ Garden chat thread \*/

Quote:
Even my lettuce isn't ready to harvest yet. It feels like it's taking forever this year. We're only between zone 2/3, but they were planted in the middle of May. I really thought something would've been ready by now.
I am in the same zone and nothing is ready to harvest yet either. Don't worry is still late June there is plenty of time left. I do get a little jealous reading about how others are harvesting and planting things that don't grow here. It just how it is in a cold climate. Did you plant directly in the garden? Plants don't really get much of a head start planting a little early because the soil hasn't warmed up enough yet. I planted a lot of plants that were started early and still nothing is ready. A lot of people in the community garden us metal wire and row cover to help the plants get started. My neighbor did that and the little diddly plants they planted are huge now bigger than my big plants I planted. I am doing that next year.

Advertisement

nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #162
ecbcmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

We had a horrible wind storm here yesterday . It severely wounded all but 1 of my tomato plants . Do you think the others can be saved by clipping them down some? Will they grow back?
ecbcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:53 AM   #163
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

We've had some really bad high winds this summer too, we get these 45mph gusts and they've made my peppers, beans and lettuces all tattered looking. The tomatoes will be fine, trim off what you must but they'll grow back.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #164
rebeccalynne15
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

New pics (well couple days old lol)

AND JUST FOR COMPARISON couple weeks ago
Old 06-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #165
hsmjmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi, I'm not new to looking around here but new to posting in this forum. I have a question about my pumpkin plant. We have 1 good sized pumpkin we've picked and then off of the same vine we have another that's not ready yet. My questions is, near the planting point the vine and leaves are starting to turn yellow/brown but further down the stem it's a great green color. Why? Also, how do I know when the plant is done producing and when to pull it? TIA!

Btw- I'm sure you've noticed from my incorrect word usage but this is my first garden and I love it so far!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #166
Bumstoppers
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm exhausted. Canned 15 pints of pickled beets, and 6 qts of green beans.

Gotta start putting fences or something for the pole beans and cuqs to crawl up on tomorrow.
Bumstoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #167
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Wow, rebeccalynne your garden is gorgeous, I'm so jealous! The dry heat here in So cal. just saps the green and lush right out of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmjmommy View Post
Hi, I'm not new to looking around here but new to posting in this forum. I have a question about my pumpkin plant. We have 1 good sized pumpkin we've picked and then off of the same vine we have another that's not ready yet. My questions is, near the planting point the vine and leaves are starting to turn yellow/brown but further down the stem it's a great green color. Why? Also, how do I know when the plant is done producing and when to pull it? TIA!

Btw- I'm sure you've noticed from my incorrect word usage but this is my first garden and I love it so far!
It will just die off when it's done. It's normal for some of the older leaves to just turn pale or yellow but you might also have some powdery mildew or aphids attacking it. If you see white spots it's the former, turn the leaves over and find icky green or yellow critters it's the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumstoppers View Post
I'm exhausted. Canned 15 pints of pickled beets, and 6 qts of green beans.

Gotta start putting fences or something for the pole beans and cuqs to crawl up on tomorrow.
Sounds like fun to me! I need to get some tomatoes canned not that I have enough (found a TON hiding in the middle of the plants that I couldn't see!) and I bought strawberries for jam. The local grocery has cherries on sale for 99cents a pound, I have NEVER in my life seen them so cheap so I'm planning on getting lots more to freeze.

okey dokey ladies gonna start the new month's thread before I head off to sleep. Can't hardly believe it's July already!

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...5#post15333945

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 06-30-2012 at 10:43 PM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #168
itsajoi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hey there, Rebeccalynne, we're super close to you! We're stationed at Beale.