Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #21
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: June ~ \*/ Garden chat thread \*/

Thanks Gail! I hope that's all it is!

Advertisement

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #22
Leocaligirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanna join in with you ladies. I live in the burbs so I have no land just a normal sized backyard. One planter is my garden and then I have pots and stuff scattered around the yard. I grow herbs - mint, oregano, 2 kinds of thyme, rosemary & parsley.
Fruit - meyer lemon, lime, nectarine, plum, Avocado (although it has not fruited yet), apple, grapes, blackberries and 3 kinds of strawberries.
Veggies - Swiss Chard, onions, yellow squash, 5 kinds of tomatoes, jalapeño, sugar snap peas & chineese pea pods.
Wow on paper I sure grow a lot. It is only a small amount of each.

Last edited by Leocaligirl; 06-03-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Leocaligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #23
brookglen
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs
mm... I would say no. Better boy is a small/medium very symmetrical tomato like a early girl. That looks slicing/heirloom-ish. 45 tomatoes! Well no wonder you don't know what it is. Did you order your seeds? Might be able to narrow it down that way. LOL, have a cow. Corn is surprisingly easy, keep it watered well and it does it's thing without help.
Okay, I just went through every seed order I made this season and here is what I have planted.

Better boy
Costoluto
Black crim
Persimmon
Cherokee purple
Big rainbow
Sweet cherry
Indigo rose

I also find it hilarious that I have such high delusions of jarring gallons of sauce and I haven't planted a single tomato that isn't a super model. The giant ruffled tomatoes could really be anything beyond the better boy, sweet cherry, and indigo rose. I guess only time a coloring will tell. Also, no wonder I have been fighting off plagues of disease. None of these stupid plants were bred to be resistant- save for perhaps the Cherokee purple. I am however super stoked to not have to pay $5 a pound for heirlooms at the grocery store this summer.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My FIL came to visit over the weekend, and brought me more tomato and pepper plants. He brought some okra plants too, I have NO idea what I'm gonna do with okra! But, he and dh planted them, so I'll just see if they grow. Does anybody pickle okra? Is it crunchy when pickled, or slimy?

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 06-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Wow everyone's gardens look fantastic! I've been so busy this week with wyatt's b-day party and everything else going on I didn't have a chance to come back and chat. Plus Sunday we had a sick hen and I was just beside myself. I was raking the coop and right after she started this whooping/honking noise. stretching out and panting, acting weak. We separated her and I stayed beside her, spooning electrolyte into her mouth with a kid's medicine spoon. After a few horrible hours she came around, started walking around the pen and eating and drinking again. By bedtime she was back to herself. It could have been a couple things, she could have inhaled something, choked on the water tray I dumped out (they were all fighting over the water as it was running out, silly chickens) or she could have eaten too many whole leaves when I dumped the weeds from the garden in the pen earlier in the day. She did have a few really dark poops in a row. Scared the bejeebus out of me though. She's danny's chicken and when we told him Rudy was sick his big blue eyes puddled up and he goes "is she gonna die?" and I LOST IT. Dh had to take over. Thank god she's ok. Def. picking up some antibiotic to keep on hand from now on. Googling was a bad thing to do in the moment. Dh and I were horrified by what we read.

Moving on... we have harvested a bunch of peas, a lot of strawberries I didn't realize were ripe, a bell pepper (yum!) 2 little black raspberries and wyatt stole my first ripe cherry tomatoes off the vine and ate them, the stinker! LOL. I was saving them till the whole strand ripened up but he wasn't in the mood for waiting apparently. He's worse than the birds!

Today I hope to get some seedlings in the ground, corn, butternut and some more melons. Speaking of melons, ours are beginning to set tiny little marble size fruits! woohoo!

Seed p@rn , and part of what I'm planting today:

and the trouble making hen,Rudy, isn't she pretty for a black sexlink?

Last edited by 3lilbubs; 06-05-2012 at 11:54 AM.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #26
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

buahahahaha! Love the seed p*rn!!

Glad your chicken is doing better!

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
JellEBeanDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are in the may-June planting zone I planted my seeds last Monday with hopes to transfer on 6/18 did I fail? Weather wise we are seeing lots on 70-80 and wind (Colorado is windy)
JellEBeanDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #28
treegirl75
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm so mad at the birds right now! They got my very first ripe strawberry DS and I looked at it this morning and I told him we could pick it this evening, but when we got back it was half-eaten. My strawberry plants now have milk crates over them until I can come up with something better...

Sent from my iPhone that has a mind of its own
Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #29
redbirdlady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My green beans (Lazy Housewife) are starting to hit their stride. I always manage to miss picking one or two and they end up HUGE. My purple podded beans, yard longs, and limas are just starting to flower, but haven't produced anything yet.

Cukes FINALLY took off, as did our soybeans (edamame.) Hoping for some flowering this week! Squash and zucchini are finally producing female flower buds, so hoping for some flowering with them as well. Melons are getting transplanted sometime before the weekend is up, as are pumpkins. We're hoping to grow enough pumpkins to invite some friends over and have a pumpkin carving party.

Other than that, my time has really been spent getting all of our tomatoes and peppers in the ground and their containers. Amish Paste is the only tomato that has set fruit so far, but I've got lots of them in flower (we have over 50 tomato plants, 20+ varieties - we have a serious fresh tomato problem in this house, and I make sun-dried tomatoes, pizza sauce, and pasta sauce to can, plus just regular ol' canned tomatoes, so we go through a LOT.

I still have about 25 tomato plants that need to go into the ground, and my tiller died on me. When we called the manufacturer (it's under warranty), they sent us to a repair place in town that then informed us that they only repair it if it was purchased at Lowe's. Of course, we bought it at Home Depot. The corporate office told us to take it to Home Depot to be repaired, but our local HD's don't have repair people on site. Figures. So the guy at the manufacturer's office is trying to figure out what to do next. He's got about another day before I tell him he's going to be giving me a new tiller.

I'm keeping copious notes for next year. This is our first year gardening at this house (we moved in last year, and I was too exhausted between the move and being pregnant to get our garden going) and I have to keep reminding myself that this is a transition year. DH is glad that I'm planning on taking over a good chunk more lawn next year. If I have a working tiller, that is, LOL!
Old 06-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #30
Jenette
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I will get some photos up of the veggies soon. We have 2 large and 4 small raised beds. This is our first full summer at this house. Hopefully next year we will have a full veggie garden going.

I was wondering what you do with all the zucchini? I bought a 6 pack not realizing it was double packed so we have 12 zucchini plants!!!