Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Farmin/Homesteading Weekly Chat Jul 29-Aug 4

Amanda: I'm definitely hoping it gets easier! The bad part is that I'm already in pretty good shape, I'm definitely not weak by any means and have no trouble carrying water and feed pails and what not. It's just that my body hurts all the time. Not due to muscle overuse, just supposedly because of the fibromyalgia. To be honest when she first diagnosed me I didn't believe her and thought it was a crap diagnosis, as there's no actual blood test or anything to prove it or back it up, it's just diagnosed through elimination. But I believe it now that I've been in almost constant pain for the past 2 years with no other reason for it. I don't think it'll ever get easier or I'll ever be in less pain, but having something to do everyday keeps my spirits up for sure!

TyandCheyMommy: We're hobby homesteaders. We only have 5 acres (though I would love to live on a farm as I grew up on a dairy/beef cattle farm), so we just have 2 dairy goats, 2 bucks, 21 layers and currently 26 meats that we'll be butchering this weekend.) I also have a 4000 sq ft garden. Keeps me busy enough! What kind of goats do you have?

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #22
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Me, super small time right now. We just moved to this property in Nov. Dh was raised a city boy and at 17 enlisted in the Navy so he's bit of a gypsy with no farming skills. I've talked him into a garden, greenhouse and chickens. I have 7 hens and a roo. I have 9 acres to clear. Next year I'll be keeping bees and quite possibly goats.

From there it depends on what I can do with the land. The woods we walked thru are VERY rocky, I'm not sure how feesable it will be to try and farm it. I may be able to let the wild blueberries reclaim it (which, honestly would thrill me, though I do want enough usable for goats, and would love a full size barn with a horse or two. We'll see.)

When I get all the kidletts in school, I might open a small health food store as well.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #23
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmofthree View Post
Amanda: I'm definitely hoping it gets easier! The bad part is that I'm already in pretty good shape, I'm definitely not weak by any means and have no trouble carrying water and feed pails and what not. It's just that my body hurts all the time. Not due to muscle overuse, just supposedly because of the fibromyalgia. To be honest when she first diagnosed me I didn't believe her and thought it was a crap diagnosis, as there's no actual blood test or anything to prove it or back it up, it's just diagnosed through elimination. But I believe it now that I've been in almost constant pain for the past 2 years with no other reason for it. I don't think it'll ever get easier or I'll ever be in less pain, but having something to do everyday keeps my spirits up for sure!

TyandCheyMommy: We're hobby homesteaders. We only have 5 acres (though I would love to live on a farm as I grew up on a dairy/beef cattle farm), so we just have 2 dairy goats, 2 bucks, 21 layers and currently 26 meats that we'll be butchering this weekend.) I also have a 4000 sq ft garden. Keeps me busy enough! What kind of goats do you have?
Amanda: could it be your back that's the root issue? Mine seems to be. I've had chest pain, abdominal pain and carpal tunnel that is stemed from my back issues. Doc wanted an MRI but I don't want the radiation.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyAndCheyMommy View Post
Well I got the fence all done, the goats moved, and most the cows moved... and now it is raining!!
THANK GOD
Though it is a bit late for the crops we are lucky to have irrigation on a bit over half our fields thought.

I have decided to wait on the combines, as I will have to drive them down the dirt road, and well it is now wet!

So, what type of farming/homesteading do yall do?
We have a 465 acre farm (very blessed that dh is a 6th generation farmer) and raise angus cattle and cordal/dorset sheep. We grow what they eat also (corn, oats, hay/etc). Then we have a milk cow, chickens for us. We are branching out some this year and trying our hand at pasteurized meat chickens. Only selling to dh's fam and for us this year, but it'll be a good experiment to see if it'll be worth our time in the future.

You have quite the to-do list! I just finished kindy with Captain Obvious (son #1) a few minutes ago and am having my coffee break. Loaded all 4 little ones up in the van this morning and went with DH to get a new belt for our combine. Hoping to have oats finished on Wednesday. He fixed it (2nd time in the last 2 weeks) and got stung, yet again, by bumblebees! His stomach has a bunch of welts on it again. At least #1 wasn't with him this time.

It sounds like you are super involved in everything! DH never expects me to help a lot, but I want to. It's hard right now with 4 kiddos, 5 and under; but I'm hoping in a few years I'll be able to take over milking (and hopefully expand that some as we used to have dairy cows and still have the set up) and be more useful with other things. I try to remember I'm raising the next generation of farmers and that helps a little! haha. Do you have a hard time finding a balance? I'm trying to figure out how I'll be able to homeschool, mother, garden/can, do housework/cook/etc, sew/craft, volunteer, and help out more on the farm. We shall see, I guess!

Well, I told Captain Obvious and Bruiser, they could play an alphabet game on the computer so they are riding my arm to get me off of here! Sacrifices of motherhood... chugging my coffee and going to make ricotta cheese now (baby girl should give me another 20 minutes of a nap!).
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM   #25
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we just have a small hobby farm too. 3 acres of mountain land that we mostly cleared by hand and have a small barn. 2 horses. 1 beef cow, 2 baby calves, 50 chickens (30 of those are meat birds) 2 milk goats, 2 cats, 3 dogs, and lots of fish!! I also have 3 children ages 8, 5 and 3 and my sewing business Meg A Roo's Designs!! i stay BUSY!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #26
sahmofthree
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Amanda: I've tried a chiro in the past, went for a few months but never noticed any improvement. My pain is basically an achiness that is all over my body. My joints hurt, my muscles hurt, my feet hurt to walk on, I get a lot of headaches, I have a very low stamina and take frequent breaks, and seem to be more tired and need more sleep than anyone else I know. I thought maybe it was diet, and have since changed my eating habits and eat very low chemical, low processed fairly healthy diet. I drink a lot of water. It seems nothing I do really helps, so I guess at this point I just live with it and don't dwell on it much anymore. It just has kind of become my "norm" and I've adjusted accordingly. My doc really did run every test imaginable on me, she was extremely thorough and was initially thinking MS or lupus or even a tumor but everything came up clear thank goodness. I guess in that aspect I'm lucky. I've kind of accepted that there doesn't seem to be any fix for this, but at least I'm not fighting for my life and she didn't find anything like cancer or MS or something else that would be worse than fibromyalgia.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #27
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i don't know much about fibromyalgia, but is there anyway you can do a liver detox?? there are a lot of heavy metals in our everyday foods and lives and just the environment. i know muscle pain and fatigue can come from liver disfunction and heavy metal poisoning. it's maybe something you could try!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #28
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloecat View Post
we just have a small hobby farm too. 3 acres of mountain land that we mostly cleared by hand and have a small barn. 2 horses. 1 beef cow, 2 baby calves, 50 chickens (30 of those are meat birds) 2 milk goats, 2 cats, 3 dogs, and lots of fish!! I also have 3 children ages 8, 5 and 3 and my sewing business Meg A Roo's Designs!! i stay BUSY!!!
How are the bottlefed calves doing, Meagan? I didn't know you had horses! Do you carve out time to ride or is it a distant memory? We have the land for 2 happy horses to live on, but DH is against animals that don't "have a job"... it's the farmer in him So... since I try not to nag, I'm bidding my time patiently. The plan you ask? Wait till baby girl is old enough to ask for a horse and can help take care of them (it seems girls have this connection to horses and I'm trusting in that to show up)... I don't think DH could say "no" to her and then you can't just get 1 horse, you need 2 of course. haha!

Have you narrowed down the cost of each bird (including feed) and then the profit you'll make off of them? DH and I are very curious what the profit margin will be per bird. I know you can make a lot more for cuts of bird, but we'll be doing whole birds because of lack of time.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #29
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Well I got the fence all done, the goats moved, and most the cows moved... and now it is raining!!
THANK GOD
Though it is a bit late for the crops we are lucky to have irrigation on a bit over half our fields thought.

I have decided to wait on the combines, as I will have to drive them down the dirt road, and well it is now wet!

So, what type of farming/homesteading do yall do?
DH's family owns a farm of beef cattle, chickens, ducks, geese on a little over 200 acres and they make lots of hay. We live 2 hours away now so we go home and help as often as possible. Now DH is a manager on a semi small scale chicken farm and we live on their land but I hope to someday have my own goats for milk. We only have a dog and a cat (not allowed to have poultry but we get free eggs so it's ok b/c I know where they are from ) and I have one little guy but I'm hoping and praying for another soon!! We garden both here and at the home farm.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #30
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Hope y'all are ok with me joining in! This seems like mine kind of place!

Today I have to:
Finish fence on goat pen and move goats to little for breeding there.
Move 200 head of cattle to other pastures.
Wash 4 combines to get ready to take to town for servicing before harvest.
Wash dishes (I miss my dishwasher so bad)
Get kids to finish their homework (we have been slacking).
And have a trip to town in order to go to post office, pharmacy, bank, and grocery store.

Good luck with your list mama!! We aren't to far from you-we are in SW/Central Iowa
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote