Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ***April/May Chicken Moma Chat Thread** Join in!

So news for the day - we expanded the coop, LOL. Just not enough floor space for everyone. We bought the dog a new crate and then used his old one to add on to the coop by connecting the doors. (since it is an indoor coop don't have to worry about predators or anything, just keeping them contained). The food and water will be in there (hoping the plastic tray will be easy to clean) and that gave them more floor space for running around. Will have this week's pics up later. Weighed Aflac again - he's up to 5 pounds. Such a sweetie. He won't struggle when you hold him if you keep him cradled, but he shouts at you. Can you teach ducks to use an inside voice? Daffy on the other hand I have half a mind to turn into soup. He struggles so hard and I had to get leather gloves to handle him because he's torn my hand up with his nails. Do ducks tame down as they mature?

As a side note, I transferred the chickens to cat carriers (two in each) while we adjusted the coop - and it didn't seem to bother them at all. That's a relief - that will make it easier to take them outside to play when it gets warm out.

Advertisement

And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I bet he does 4-H or something like that. I would see what you get from him! I bet he'd love to share! That's great! RE: the incubator, yes I just set them on the hardware cloth. They don't roll off, it fills the incubator end to end. When I get down to the last 3 days I put no slip shelf liner on the bottom so the eggs don't roll around during the hatch and the babies can get a better grip. Most common chickens that lay blue eggs are Ameraucanas (registered purebreds), Easter eggers (more common backyard flock bird that can lay green or even pink sometimes) and then the more rare, expensive cream legbar oh and Araucanas which are quite expensive, rare and hard to breed due to the same mutation that causes their unique body features causing embryonic death in many of the babies. HTH!
I'm not sure if he does 4-H, just an amazing love of chickens. I think he has about a flock of 70.

Thanks for the info on the incubator. I can't do anything till we get another coop. We have around 35 birds, it's hard to count, since we lost a bunch to cannibalism. But I have a makeshift run right now. We had a dog last summer, but it didn't work so we had an empty outside kennel. I dragged it over to our coop and strategically placed it so that I can open our big door and let the birds out and they can go back and forth. It's only going to work for a bit since I desperately need to clean the coop and I can't get the door open very far right now. BUT, it's getting them outside and i "think" we've got the pecking reduced. I know that they're still pecking each other a bit since there are many without feathers on their rear ends. But we haven't lost any now for about 3 weeks.

So our plan is to build another coop this summer out of pallets. We insulated our other coop, but I'm wondering since it got WAY to humid in there this winter whether we can get away without insulation? We get down to -35oC (-31oF) in the winter. But the average low temp is -20oC (-4oF). Could we get away without insulation?
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Subscribing to the new thread. My chicks gave me a heart attack a few minutes ago. Went out to check on them and there was blood all over their pen. Two chicks were hiding in the box and I thought for sure one of them got hurt somehow, but I inspected everybody and the only blood I can find is on the ends of their beaks and it wiped off....maybe they got ahold of a bloated horsefly or something?

Here's a picture of my babies from yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	140758  

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, so this week's pics:

Ginger, plus a picture of her back. I know someone mentioned her coloring looking rooish last week, so can see a bit better how the red plays in. Any ideas on what to call this color?:

Basil. Pics a little blurry because she kept trying to run away. I still think she is the prettiest.

Daffy, who was not being the least bit cooperative today:

And Aflac, also a bit blurry because he was more interested than walking around than actually sitting still for pics:

And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Boy you all have been busy! 'll never catch up. Love the pics.

Liz-They are both just great! Cutest little things. What breed did you say the 5 toe feather footed white chick was? She has a funny moehawk now. They are all so cute!

We froze here last night, 29 think.

Headed to an auction in a bit. Hope they have some goodies to look at!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #16
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dp
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89

Last edited by sarahannecloud9; 04-20-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #17
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Aww, pics soon please Sarah! I don't remember, you have so many now. RFLOL!!!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
Nielsen6
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I found Swedish Flower chicks for $10. But DH says no way, Lol!
Fodie, mama to DD 9/15/04 DS#1 6/11/07 DS#2 7/7/08 DS#3 5/19/10 Due September 2014!
Nielsen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #19
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

haha! I had the same convo today about a ladies poults. Then he caved and she didn't answer the phone while we were in town!
Old 04-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #20
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

oh my heavens, I would love sfh's! I don't trust anyone around here to pick up grown hens though. I've seen more poorly cared for flocks than well cared for here. Wish I could find someone with poults. I want these babies to hatch so badly. I'm trying to be as gentle handling them as possible. I'm so scared they won't I'm trying to act like it's no big deal so I won't be so upset when they don't.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote