Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~~~Sept~~Chicken Moma Chat Thread! Welcome :)

Love, love love, them!!!!!!

I like the breed for sure. Very friendly and all of ours hum and sing, lol. Our male, except 1, all got taken by predators. They seem to be excellent foragers that refuse to stay home. Houdini, the buff laced, ended up going missing too. We have Baby Boy, he's a blk wht topped though. I'm holding one in my avi pic. I really can't say enough about how they love to forage. They spook easily with other chickens because they don't see them till the last minute, lol. Makes catching them easier. Our blue splash is prob my fav. He name is Flower.

Oh Liz, I have 5 of his eggs in the bator, but I'm pretty sure I won't keep them due to the brassy leakage.

Advertisement

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I might convince dh I need 1 or 2 with my turkeys this spring.

Speaking of turkeys, I emailed a large turkey breeder/supplier with some pics of mine and he said 120% mine are Narragansett, no doubt in his mind. So that clears up a lot. I got screwed by the person I bought them from as far as breed but I had a great hatch from them, they have been healthy and very vigorous so I can't complain. Hoping they start laying early in the spring so I can get a good hatch going for the following year! I think I am going to mix hatch them like we were talking about Sarah, as I'll only have 2 hens laying. Ahh all this talk of hatching and I have baby fever, no... REAL baby fever. Feeling like I need something small to smoosh.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have babies and I still have the fever! A 5 , 3 and 19 month old human babies 6 4 week old polish and the babies due yesterday that arent doing a thing one duck has pippedthis morning but nothing else Why is everyone late? I really was knit picky about being perfect this time and practically nothing is happening
Old 09-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #14
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Samantha, sometimes it can be as bizarre as the outside weather affecting your hatch. The fact that you are just now seeing pips is encouraging that the hatch is just a little behind schedule. Could be that the temp was just a teeny bit low or they are just late in general. I have two hens that I have set clutches from together many times. One hen's babies are always late no matter what by a good 24 hours regardless of the hatch conditions.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I might convince dh I need 1 or 2 with my turkeys this spring.

Speaking of turkeys, I emailed a large turkey breeder/supplier with some pics of mine and he said 120% mine are Narragansett, no doubt in his mind. So that clears up a lot. I got screwed by the person I bought them from as far as breed but I had a great hatch from them, they have been healthy and very vigorous so I can't complain. Hoping they start laying early in the spring so I can get a good hatch going for the following year! I think I am going to mix hatch them like we were talking about Sarah, as I'll only have 2 hens laying. Ahh all this talk of hatching and I have baby fever, no... REAL baby fever. Feeling like I need something small to smoosh.
Me too girl, real babies. My body is shot, but that old brain of mine is still in Mommy mode. What I miss most is nursing believe it or not. Something about that nurturing.

You know I'm gonna drive you nutty for eggs, right!!!! Can I see a full body pic of yours? I have the male and female burbons, but Sally, my light colored one, is our fav. She's so much more intelligent! Funny too. I saw the showing off boy pics, but couldn't get a good idea of color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaLove88 View Post
I have babies and I still have the fever! A 5 , 3 and 19 month old human babies 6 4 week old polish and the babies due yesterday that arent doing a thing one duck has pippedthis morning but nothing else Why is everyone late? I really was knit picky about being perfect this time and practically nothing is happening
Could the humidity have been a tad high? That causes slower evaporation and later hatches as well.

Fro says hello!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Samantha, sometimes it can be as bizarre as the outside weather affecting your hatch. The fact that you are just now seeing pips is encouraging that the hatch is just a little behind schedule. Could be that the temp was just a teeny bit low or they are just late in general. I have two hens that I have set clutches from together many times. One hen's babies are always late no matter what by a good 24 hours regardless of the hatch conditions.
How late is too late? The chicks were due yesterday...still nothing is happening. Ducks were due today and one pip, a little bigger pip tonight but nothing else. Shouod I be worried?! Im worrying myself to death if you could tell

Sarah- I did it differently this time with humidity...I did a "dry" hatch at the beginning so maybe 30 was about the temp until the turner came out. Then I got it to 80 for thr most part but the last couple of days I can only get it to stay at 68-70 range. I did mess up the due dates though since I set them at night and counted that day. So really I took out the tuner a day early...would that cause anything to go wrong?
Old 09-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Me too girl, real babies. My body is shot, but that old brain of mine is still in Mommy mode. What I miss most is nursing believe it or not. Something about that nurturing.

ahhh... me too. Know what I miss the most? Those middle of the night feedings when the house is quiet and it's just you and them all snuggled up together. I miss that so much. Those are some of my happiest memories. So many of my friends and acquaintances are having babies and I'm becoming acutely aware of how my youngest is NOT a baby anymore.

You know I'm gonna drive you nutty for eggs, right!!!! Can I see a full body pic of yours? I have the male and female burbons, but Sally, my light colored one, is our fav. She's so much more intelligent! Funny too. I saw the showing off boy pics, but couldn't get a good idea of color.

Well you know you're welcome to some when they start. I'll have to get better pics tomorrow maybe. They're hard to get good pics of under that tree in the shade.

Could the humidity have been a tad high? That causes slower evaporation and later hatches as well.

Fro says hello!
Hahaa Fro is so cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaLove88 View Post
How late is too late? The chicks were due yesterday...still nothing is happening. Ducks were due today and one pip, a little bigger pip tonight but nothing else. Shouod I be worried?! Im worrying myself to death if you could tell

Sarah- I did it differently this time with humidity...I did a "dry" hatch at the beginning so maybe 30 was about the temp until the turner came out. Then I got it to 80 for thr most part but the last couple of days I can only get it to stay at 68-70 range. I did mess up the due dates though since I set them at night and counted that day. So really I took out the tuner a day early...would that cause anything to go wrong?
hm, well I think those numbers are a little out of my comfort range. I try not to drop below 35% for the first part of the hatch, aiming for 40%, and 80% is way high for chickens. I would say that's more like a turkey/gamebird lockdown humidity. I go for 65% and start to panic if it goes a little above. It's so easy for them to drown. Healthy chicks won't be harmed by ending the turning a day early.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #18
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
hm, well I think those numbers are a little out of my comfort range. I try not to drop below 35% for the first part of the hatch, aiming for 40%, and 80% is way high for chickens. I would say that's more like a turkey/gamebird lockdown humidity. I go for 65% and start to panic if it goes a little above. It's so easy for them to drown. Healthy chicks won't be harmed by ending the turning a day early.
Sorry...dumb phone cant type! I meant 40%. I hatched my last batch on 60-70% at the end. I was told by the duck lady I got the eggs from I could go up to 80% but it never could stay there so it has been ranging from 60-70%. 80% for a short time when I added the water and sponge full of water when I took the turner out. Its been 65-68% the last couple of days. Does that sound like ideal conditions? Now im scared I screwed up!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So question...Curry insists on sleeping on the "nest" of golf balls at night...along with what eggs, if any, are there as well. I don't think I would call it broody as she isn't there during the day...but it is definitely odd.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #20
mabelinoad
Registered Users
Formerly: Mabelino
seller
seller

My Mood:
What do you ladies suggest for an egg eater? We have 9 6mo old hens and we suspect at least one is eating eggs. We get about 5-6 a day, which seems average for them. But there is almost always yolk residue on the eggs and no shells Tia!