Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #21
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: December chicken Moma chat threat--finally here. ;)))))))

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyroberts View Post
cute kids! Wish we would get some snow this year!
oh no... this morning I walked my 2 year old to our car over a clear sheet of ice (snow underneath), then put my newborn in and attempted not to fly off the road just get get some milk 10 miles away... I kept thinking how nice my aunt has it in Texas! I bet you guys never get sick down there either - it seems like once we weather hits 10 degrees everyone is getting sick, over and over until summer comes. I kept thinking how nice living in texas would be...

Advertisement

CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
That is interesting about the energy efficient light bulbs - I hate them inside the house, I think they drive me nuts! DH bought some once and I went out and bought some regular 100 watt bulbs and replaced them all... He thinks I am being silly but I really think those energy efficient ones are not good for us.

I am not worried about them being warm, its just our only light bulb that is not energy efficient Its not on at night either, just till 8:30pm (15.5 hours a day). Otheriwse our coop would be black, pitch black. Our last chickens were in a lean-too type shed with one side open chicken wire, we got one egg a day from each almost all winter (they were a different breed). We live in northern Wisconsin. We also just moved to a new home and so we had to create a new area for new chicks, our area is attached to the garage/pull shed so my husband is not really flexible when it comes to cutting out the sheatmetal (I already suggested!). haha.

That is interesting you heard about buff orpingtons being bad layers too people say they are so nice but their roasters were meaner then any other bread we had! I really want some more barred rocks and sex links... This sping we are going to do another clean out and bring some differant breads in
oh wow, I'd just buy a plain old bulb then. The article said it doesn't have to even be super bright just enough that you could read a paper by. So maybe 60w would do it. Really, the roosters were mean?! People recommend those all the time as really mellow and good with kids! My best friend has a 2 year old buff hen and she bought a couple more chickens because the buff only lays a couple eggs a week now and is constantly wannabe broody. I had a black sexlink gal that went broody, hatched babies and went back to laying when the babies were about a month old. She's a machine, that girl! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Oh, wanted to share!

Snow last week and the kids with the cousins visit. Ignore the disaster!

Aww.. and the snow is beautiful!

Quote:
cute kids! Wish we would get some snow this year!
We're supposed to get some Saturday, I'm crossing everything!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #23
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama
oh no... this morning I walked my 2 year old to our car over a clear sheet of ice (snow underneath), then put my newborn in and attempted not to fly off the road just get get some milk 10 miles away... I kept thinking how nice my aunt has it in Texas! I bet you guys never get sick down there either - it seems like once we weather hits 10 degrees everyone is getting sick, over and over until summer comes. I kept thinking how nice living in texas would be...
Are you kidding me?! LOL! My ds 8 months is just getting over RSV was almost hospitalized , ran fever for a solid week , couldn't hardly breathe was on breathing treatments, had an ear infection to boot... Started fever again today with the other ear hurting. ... All the kids are feeling poorly with sore throats and mild fever. Every time the weather changes , everybody gets sick!!! BUT it is nice to have temps in the low eighties in December. It jumps back and forth so you never really get the chance to be sick of the weather... Just wait a few hours or a couple days. You might go swimming one day and sledding the next!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #24
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

hi mamas!!

need some opinions. We have 6 chickens and 1 seems to be having some trouble. She is missing a patch of feathers on the back of her neck and a small patch on the side of her head. I watch them all the time and I never see any aggression but she does seem cautious when I fill the food, like she has to wait her turn after the others. There isn't any blood but I am going to pick up some stuff from the feed store to apply anyways. Do you think she could be sick? She looks thinner than the others (where before all 6 were basically the same size) and her coloring is lighter than the other red sex link I have, I don't remember that from before but maybe she always was?

Looking online it doesn't seem to fit anything I am reading except them pecking her but do you think it is just at night? would they just pull her feathers and not draw blood? She has always been the most skiddish and I can't really pick her up without a lot of distress from her. Could it be stress?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #25
CntryMama
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
oh wow, I'd just buy a plain old bulb then. The article said it doesn't have to even be super bright just enough that you could read a paper by. So maybe 60w would do it. Really, the roosters were mean?! People recommend those all the time as really mellow and good with kids! My best friend has a 2 year old buff hen and she bought a couple more chickens because the buff only lays a couple eggs a week now and is constantly wannabe broody. I had a black sexlink gal that went broody, hatched babies and went back to laying when the babies were about a month old. She's a machine, that girl! LOL
That is funny about your sexlink! I thought our roaster was normal until he hit 7-8 months old - I was cleaning out their coop and forgot to lock the chickens in, the next think I know my 2.5 year old daughter is screaming bloody murder and I look up - the roaster is on top of her head!! She was half on the ground because she was so scared Now she calls them "Key-Key owies". He even left a scar right next to her eye (thank goodness he did not get her eye!). We shot him that night... The next day we had our first egg and our ladies were just so much happier, he must have been really aggressive with them too I just never noticed

Quote:
Are you kidding me?! LOL! My ds 8 months is just getting over RSV was almost hospitalized , ran fever for a solid week , couldn't hardly breathe was on breathing treatments, had an ear infection to boot... Started fever again today with the other ear hurting. ... All the kids are feeling poorly with sore throats and mild fever. Every time the weather changes , everybody gets sick!!! BUT it is nice to have temps in the low eighties in December. It jumps back and forth so you never really get the chance to be sick of the weather... Just wait a few hours or a couple days. You might go swimming one day and sledding the next!
Thats nice to know you guys get sick too haha! I should be more content with my high of 5 degrees today... I hope your ds gets better though!!!
CntryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #26
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy
hi mamas!! need some opinions. We have 6 chickens and 1 seems to be having some trouble. She is missing a patch of feathers on the back of her neck and a small patch on the side of her head. I watch them all the time and I never see any aggression but she does seem cautious when I fill the food, like she has to wait her turn after the others. There isn't any blood but I am going to pick up some stuff from the feed store to apply anyways. Do you think she could be sick? She looks thinner than the others (where before all 6 were basically the same size) and her coloring is lighter than the other red sex link I have, I don't remember that from before but maybe she always was? Looking online it doesn't seem to fit anything I am reading except them pecking her but do you think it is just at night? would they just pull her feathers and not draw blood? She has always been the most skiddish and I can't really pick her up without a lot of distress from her. Could it be stress?
Does sound like picking. It seems like that most of the times picking happens in the night. I had one little rooster who was getting picked at night by someone all his head feathers were broken and missing. She also sounds like she is pretty low in the pecking order and may not be getting enough to eat? Maybe a second feeder would help?

Thanks cntrymama!

Last edited by roseyroberts; 12-06-2013 at 09:14 AM.
roseyroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #27
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyroberts
Does sound like picking. It seems like that most of the times picking happens in the night. I had one little rooster who was getting picked at night by someone all his head feathers were broken and missing. She also sounds like she is pretty low in the pecking order and may not be getting enough to eat? Maybe a second feeder would help?

Thanks cntrymama!
I do have two, one inside and one outside I see her eat but she does have to sneak up and then grab some fast, I watch her watching the others and she always goes to the feeder last

My neighbor has chickens but she was watching them peck her and she separated for a while but when reintroduced they keep doing it. Our coop an run are both really big and I have been trying to give them more free range time but I just feel so bad.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #28
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Yep, we have a lot of back and forth from warm to super cold during fall and spring and it seems that's when everyone gets super sick for ages. It gets better as the kids get older but it's the same everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphreysmommy View Post
hi mamas!!

need some opinions. We have 6 chickens and 1 seems to be having some trouble. She is missing a patch of feathers on the back of her neck and a small patch on the side of her head. I watch them all the time and I never see any aggression but she does seem cautious when I fill the food, like she has to wait her turn after the others. There isn't any blood but I am going to pick up some stuff from the feed store to apply anyways. Do you think she could be sick? She looks thinner than the others (where before all 6 were basically the same size) and her coloring is lighter than the other red sex link I have, I don't remember that from before but maybe she always was?

Looking online it doesn't seem to fit anything I am reading except them pecking her but do you think it is just at night? would they just pull her feathers and not draw blood? She has always been the most skiddish and I can't really pick her up without a lot of distress from her. Could it be stress?
Yes, she might be a victim of pecking but do you see pinfeathers under where she's missing feathers? Could just be her moult pattern. If not, she's roosting next to someone who is a feather plucker at night. You don't need to put anything on her if you don't see blood and if you do it might draw more attention to the area and have the opposite effect. The only thing I might consider using is pine tar. The ideal thing to do is find out who is picking her and remove her, or put pinless peepers on her. How old are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryMama View Post
That is funny about your sexlink! I thought our roaster was normal until he hit 7-8 months old - I was cleaning out their coop and forgot to lock the chickens in, the next think I know my 2.5 year old daughter is screaming bloody murder and I look up - the roaster is on top of her head!! She was half on the ground because she was so scared Now she calls them "Key-Key owies". He even left a scar right next to her eye (thank goodness he did not get her eye!). We shot him that night... The next day we had our first egg and our ladies were just so much happier, he must have been really aggressive with them too I just never noticed

Thats nice to know you guys get sick too haha! I should be more content with my high of 5 degrees today... I hope your ds gets better though!!!
Oh my gosh, that's my worst fear. Ds has been attacked by both our old rooster and now this one. I'm just really grateful neither one had spurs yet and didn't really harm him other than freak him out. THe first time it was totally ds's fault. He took a stick and was cornering the girls under the ramp and poking them. So the rooster defended them. This last time, I think he just went to pick up a girl and Blaze flipped out. All that after I've tried SO SO hard just to keep him away from the rooster. He had snuck out the second my back was turned. Mine isn't really aggressive with the hens, he just doesn't like ds.

Quote:
I do have two, one inside and one outside I see her eat but she does have to sneak up and then grab some fast, I watch her watching the others and she always goes to the feeder last

My neighbor has chickens but she was watching them peck her and she separated for a while but when reintroduced they keep doing it. Our coop an run are both really big and I have been trying to give them more free range time but I just feel so bad.
Aw poor thing. You might have to just sell her. Some hens are just never accepted. I did the opposite and sold my two bullies last spring.

AFM, I recandled mrs. T's eggs and the one I thought might be a quitter def has a moving baby inside, so she's got 9 growing well for now. All the eggs were fresh (within 2 days of lay) so it should be a 100% hatch so long as I keep an eye on the one with the funny air cell.

Also, I went to feed yesterday and one of my turkey hens squatted!!! So we might have breeding/eggs from them very soon as well. I thought they wouldn't do it till spring but I read from a breeder that he often has hens start around Christmas if they were spring hatch themselves. Gotta get a nest set up for them, I guess! Woot! Hoping I can get some poults started soon.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #29
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Sounds like a cpl things really to me. Molting??? It starts at the head and neck. Also, a rough roo can be responsible for this. I have a fav mating partner of Solomon's that stays near bald. It could also be pecking at night. Low in the order for sure imho. You can remove her with another hen or 2, possibly one in the higher order, and then when you reintroduce her she isn't singled out. This has worked very well for me a few times. Good luck. She sounds like she needs some extra nourishment.

Congrats on the turks squatting Liz!! I watch for mine every day. Just the toms ready so far though. My ducks are starting to prepare though!! Can't wait!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #30
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Cynthia-did u c where I posted either 8 to 10 days?

Just checked my paperwork, it's 8 days.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89

Last edited by sarahannecloud9; 12-06-2013 at 10:32 AM.
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote