Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #1
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

What about misses? And clothing...

So for those of you who do EC or early potty training, when I catch him in a miss, do I put him on the potty in hopes he still has some to go, or will my snatching him up seem like pressure? E.g. this morning he was bottomless in his high chair and peed all over me (boys! Pee comes straight out!). So I rushed him to the potty for nothing, but I'm not sure rushing him there was the right thing to do. Should I just leave him in the high chair and make the sign in hopes that he connects them?

Also, I just ordered a ton of onesie polo shirts from the Oshkosh school uniform sale - they're my favorite dress shirts for him because they snap under the legs and always stay tucked in, plus are good quality and just look really nice. So they came yesterday and DH was like, we don't want shirts that snap under the legs if we're doing EC. Which I had totally forgotten. So... Do I return those shirts quick before I take the wrappers off? Do you never do clothes that snap under the legs anymore? DS is 1 if that makes a difference so I am hoping (probably falsely) that this leads to early potty learning. Around home we're doing t-shirts and shorts if any bottoms, but I like him to look good when we're out you know?

Advertisement

Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What about misses? And clothing...

*disclaimer--we are not currently doing EC but I did with a couple of my others.

I did rush them to the potty if we had a miss in hopes that we didn't miss all of it, or even if we did, I would rather them associate going to the potty with the episode rather than stay in the chair and associate it with the sound/sign, you know?

Personally I would return the shirts. We quit using onesies once we started EC...with David he was only a couple months old, and it was surprisingly hard finding shirts that weren't onesies! I had the best luck at kohls--some of their jumping beans lines are regular shirts, even in tiny sizes. I bet you can find polos without the onesie part--they won't stay tucked in of course but it would be worth it to me.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
*disclaimer--we are not currently doing EC but I did with a couple of my others.

I did rush them to the potty if we had a miss in hopes that we didn't miss all of it, or even if we did, I would rather them associate going to the potty with the episode rather than stay in the chair and associate it with the sound/sign, you know?

Personally I would return the shirts. We quit using onesies once we started EC...with David he was only a couple months old, and it was surprisingly hard finding shirts that weren't onesies! I had the best luck at kohls--some of their jumping beans lines are regular shirts, even in tiny sizes. I bet you can find polos without the onesie part--they won't stay tucked in of course but it would be worth it to me.
Ok, thanks for the tips. I also thought rushing him to the potty seemed like the right thing, but then I wasn't sure if it was starting him (he doesn't act like it, but so far he hasn't peed there after a miss either) or just adding more pressure than I should be doing at 1yo.

My mom suggested keeping the shirts since they were a good sale and they're nice shirts and just hemming off the bottoms. Not a bad idea either. I might consider it a while before sending them back for sure.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Ok, thanks for the tips. I also thought rushing him to the potty seemed like the right thing, but then I wasn't sure if it was starting him (he doesn't act like it, but so far he hasn't peed there after a miss either) or just adding more pressure than I should be doing at 1yo.

My mom suggested keeping the shirts since they were a good sale and they're nice shirts and just hemming off the bottoms. Not a bad idea either. I might consider it a while before sending them back for sure.
Ehh...I would caution that. It *is* a good idea but IMO it doesn't work out that well. Whenever I have cut onesies and hemmed, they turn out shorter than I want. If they are too big it might work, but I would definitely try one on, see where you would have to cut it to be even, and then pin up about 3/4" for hemming length to make sure it would work first.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Ah good point. There might not be enough left over after removing the snaps. I guess if I know I'll always want them tucked in they wouldn't have to be even at the bottom, but I'm not sure he can keep them tucked if they aren't snapped. I'll have to take a look at them. Argh - I have so many shirts that snap down there, both in his current size and in the next size up!
Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #6
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I only know because I tried it before testing length and it did not end up too well! He only wore them once, and that was really just because I really wanted him to wear them. They were too short. :/