Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
otc pink eye drops...

wouldyou use them in a 4 month old?? DS1 poked his eyes; & he apperently had bacteria on his fingers (though he doesn't have it yet)...ugh. I'm thinking either way of waiting until monday & just keeping on warm compresses, in case DS1 winds up w/it too.
I put BM in his eyes twice; then remembered we've been dealing w/thrush; but I'm not sure if its gone or not.
omg, excuse typos~ nak!

Advertisement

E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:08 PM   #2
nakedbabytoes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: otc pink eye drops...

Probably.

Edit: actually, no. With eyeballs, I err on the side of not using OTC stuff & babies.

Last edited by nakedbabytoes; 09-03-2011 at 04:10 PM.
nakedbabytoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedbabytoes View Post
Probably.

Edit: actually, no. With eyeballs, I err on the side of not using OTC stuff & babies.
Thanks.. that's what I kind of think... I just feel bad for him; I know he's uncomfortable. I used BM twice this morning and then thought: "OMG, I don't know if we still have thrush or not!" I took him in for a checkup last week, and the doc said it looked like the thrush was gone, but to me it looked the same as when the other doc said he had it, so we could still be passing it back and forth, so it's probably not a good idea. Although, if there's yeast in it it's already been in his eyes. uugh.
E-2.1.14
Old 09-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Not quite sure I understand. You are worried that he's going to have pink eye because you have thrush and squirted the breastmilk in his eye or he already has pink eye and you squirted the breastmilk because of the pink eye?

No, I would not use drops that were not prescribed for your child. As far as I know there aren't any OTC drops that cure pink eye, although I could be wrong on that.

Thrush is a yeast infection, not a bacterial infection. I wouldn't want a yeast infection in my eye, but antibiotic drops wouldn't help anyway.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Not quite sure I understand. You are worried that he's going to have pink eye because you have thrush and squirted the breastmilk in his eye or he already has pink eye and you squirted the breastmilk because of the pink eye?

No, I would not use drops that were not prescribed for your child. As far as I know there aren't any OTC drops that cure pink eye, although I could be wrong on that.

Thrush is a yeast infection, not a bacterial infection. I wouldn't want a yeast infection in my eye, but antibiotic drops wouldn't help anyway.
Sorry! When I realized he had pink eye, I used breast milk. He already had the pink eye when I did it, so he already has that infection. I hope I didn't give him a yeast infection in his eye on top of it!!
The Simsilian (sp) drops are homeopathic and made specifically to treat pink eye. I've used them before myself and they "cured" it.
E-2.1.14
Old 09-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

The redness and swelling of viral, environmental, or allergic conjunctivitis can really disrupt your day.

Similasan’s Pink Eye Relief sterile eye drops are specifically formulated to address those symptoms associated with viral or environmental conjunctivitis, along with sensation of grittiness, watery discharge, burning, and redness of the inner eyelids. Because the active ingredients are homeopathic, Pink Eye Relief is safe to use all day. Pink Eye Relief does not contain an antibiotic and so should not be used with bacterial conjunctivitis and/or if you are experiencing a thick discharge that is white, yellow or green and may glue the eye shut- you should see your doctor. Help your eyes to feel better with Similasan’s Pink Eye Relief sterile eye drops, so you can get back to your day.

This is what the website says. The drops are meant to help with the symptoms, not designed to cure pink eye. A cool, damp washcloth (use a clean section and not on the other eye if it's not infected) should have about the same effect as these drops.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
epiclesis
Registered Users
seller

We're pretty out there, and we use colloidal silver for pink eye.
epiclesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Z2a~ thanks~ we'll wait till monday & keep on the compresses.
epi~ CS scares me. I know it has a lot of benefits though. thanks for throwing it out there!
naak
E-2.1.14
Old 09-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
MamaWillow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds wacky but make some strong chamomile tea, let it cool all the way (important) and make a compress for his eye. Do it a few times a day this weekend, and I promise the pinkeye will be gone by Tuesday.

MIL was a nurse in Switzerland and they use chamomile for EVERYTHING there. It works!
Rachel, SAHM to a 9yo teenager , a 4yo charmer , and a toddling koala bear , and wife to my hard-working hubs. Mostly AP, co-sleeping (with all 3!), BFing, quite crunchy, thrifty, curly-haired mama. Loving my life.
MamaWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mamawillow~ will do that next time! his eyes actually look much better today.
E-2.1.14