Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
2btwinmama
Registered Users
seller

8 week old twins

My girls are 8 weeks old. They were born at 36 weeks. They are starting to sleep longer stretches, but when can I start thinking they might sleep thru the night?

Advertisement

2btwinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 8 week old twins

about a yr old. LOL. my 2 yr old still wakes up 1 time a night but grabs her nukie and goes to sleep again.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it really depends on the child/children Mine all slept through the Night early on the Longest i waited was about 4 Months and I was getting a good solid 7 hours sleep
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
2btwinmama
Registered Users
seller

The 1 year response is so not funny My son who is now 6 didn't sleep well ever! I'm hoping to avoid that with these girls.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Lanolin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Each baby is so different. It really depends on their weight and growth pattern, sometimes they will need more. If it is really important for you to have them sleep through the night. I would feed/nurse them on a strict 3hour schedule throughout the day and let them sleep during the night without the scheduling, but still feed them if they do wake up. That way they should have enough nourishment and naturally develop sleep patterns to your preference. It might take a week-10days for them to adjust.

My sil's doctor told her that after her babe was 2weeks old it should be sleeping 9hours straight. and yes her baby does, but she won't go out and get him if does he cries.

Personally that isn't my way.
I say this very carefully, because I am sure you are very exhausted from birthing and adjusting to having not but two babes. You are really almost over or over the hardest part. Your babes will be awake for longer stretches and more alert and looking around, and not need mom "right now" as much. I don't mean to sound patronizing but, for me it helped amazingly to let go of the "sleep through the night mentality", and look forward to those special moments of cuddling with my baby while the whole world was asleep, and just take it easy during the day, especially after "rough nights".

My children started sleeping long stretches/through the "night" around 8weeks, but they were full term and a good weight when born 7 1/2-9lbs. That being said, I nurse on demand if they did wake up I would nurse them. My 13week old babe sleeps from right after dinner 6pm until 2/3 am but goes right back to sleep for another 3hours which is my regular get up time. Which is not ideal for most mamas but it works perfect for me, I have lots of more relaxed time to spend with the other children before bed, and several hours of me (and dh) time. I don't expect my baby to sleep through the night persay until he is over 1.
Lanolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sadly my son was 5 years old before he ever slept thru an entire night. He would get up multiple times a night until he was off his bottle at 2. Even now he gets up at least once or twice a week through the night. I just grew used to it.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
BigSamsMom
Registered Users
seller

As early as 3 months, maybe 4 months with your twins, since they arrived a month early. Some say 13 lbs is the magic # for STTN. FF babies tend to do it sooner than BF babes. Both my DSs were BF. DS1 STTN at 3-4 months. DS2 is pushing 11 weeks now, and is showing no signs of STTN. He has actually started reverse cycling since he started going to daycare, and wakes up to nurse more often at night now. No big deal for me though, as I have always taken my nurslings to bed with me...I hardly wake other than to latch him on and fall back to sleep. You can do this with FFing too, almost... try the Tommee Tippee bottles with their formula dispensers that fit right down in the bottle, and pre-prepare their night bottles before you go to bed. If your twins take a warm bottle, get a small crock pot for your nightstand, fill it with water, and keep it on warm with the bottles in it. This way you don't have to actually get out of bed to prepare a bottle. Just sit up, pour and shake, and feed. HTH!
BigSamsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

At one year we moved them out of our family bed and into a sibling bed in their own room. It took about a week and then they began to sleep from 7pm to 7am every night with out our help. Before that they would sleep for about 3-4 hours at a time...sometimes less if they were teething or growing a lot.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
2btwinmama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the input ladies! They have good nights and bad nights. On the good ones I think maybe that will become the norm.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
bonusround
Registered Users
seller

I think that that depends on what you consider sleeping through the night... My twins slept for five hour stretches at a few months old, but they weren't sleeping twelve hours nonstop until about two years old.
bonusround is offline   Reply With Quote