Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #1
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

A review of trainers on a 1 year old

Sorry for the long post, and disclaimer: I'm not actually very experienced at potty training, so maybe I'll change my mind when I have more kiddos.

In case anyone is getting ready to potty train a young child, I have now tried a lot of different kinds of training pants (I must be bored, right?), and wanted to list my reviews of them. If youíre in a hurry, the very last paragraph will tell you what you should buy to get started, or at least what I would buy if I were starting again. I bought almost all used or as seconds or on sale, and only a few of the cheaper kinds new. I have never spent more than $10/pair including shipping and even that I have only spent on 3-4 pair

Unfastening a diaper is a huge pain while potty training, so I went on a training underwear binge. DS is 14 mos old, and 22 lbs, but we started training at 12 mos and about the same size. Heís 75th percentile for weight and 25th percentile for height, so a bit stout. I didnít want to spend a ton of money on training pants but I knew that starting at this age, we would probably use them for quite a while. I donít expect to be completely out of them for at least 6 mos. I also couldnít justify training pants that were basically just like his diapers. The first 3 days of training we went completely naked. It was crazy hot out, so we spent time outside as well as in. The first few weeks we had LOTS of accidents and I needed lots of underwear that could wash and dry quickly. Now, we have 1 accident a day, roughly, so we go through fewer underwear, but we wear them exclusively, so I care more about how effective they are.

When I first started shopping training pants, I read a lot of reviews that said side-snaps are an absolute MUST, for poop messes. I have not found this to be true at all, but I will say weíve had less than 10 poops in the pants since we started (~2 mos), and most of those were only partial poops (he started, but we got him to the potty to finish). He has only had maybe 2 REAL poops in his pants since we started, and yes, those were no fun to clean up, but I canít think that side snaps would have made it any better. I do think side-snaps would be more annoying for everyday use, but the only ones Iíve tried were iplay swim diapers, and they were just too tight to be able to pull up without unsnapping, which was a pain. Also, I just didnít like many of the side-snapping diaper options. But Iíll start there:

IPlay swim diapers: These have a small amount of absorbency, but a fully waterproof outer so they should work like training pants, in my opinion. They were on clearance at Target, so I got one pair with side snaps and one pair without. The side-snaps were a pain (see above) so I used them once and never again, but both pairs had very tight elastics and they were just too hard to pull up and down much at all. I put both pairs in the storage bin with swim clothes very quickly.

Gerbers (size 18 mos): No waterproof lining, just extra padding. I bought size 18 mos, which you have to order online (no stores around here carry that size) and shrunk them as much as I could by washing hot, drying hot 6-7 times. To keep them shrunk small enough, I have to put them back into the dryer periodically or they re-stretch out, which isnít a huge deal, but we rarely use our dryer so I just have to remember to do it. These are great for around home Ė cheap, easy to toss in the wash whenever, etc., but the elastics arenít super tight, so they tend to fall down and pull his pants down with them. He often has an inch or two of crack hanging out in these undies. Still, we use them a lot around the house. If weíre doing just undies (no pants) they tend to stay up better, and they were great in the early days when I was watching him all the time anyway because I could instantly see that they were wet, but they kept wet from getting on the floor or his toys or whatever right away.

Under the Nile (size 12-24mos): I would class these along the lines of Gerbers, only better, and way too expensive. They are SO cute Ė they look just like big boy undies, have a little extra padding (like Gerbers, not like BB/EP/IV below), and are very trim fitting. They are easy up/down, and great for use around the house. These are organic cotton, and itís my opinion that organic cotton doesnít hold up as well as other, and theyíre not as soft as I would prefer, but in general I love these. They just arenít worth the extra cost to me. I think youíre paying for organic cotton, and thereís no reason these should be $12/pair. There is no waterproof layer, and they wonít hold much. Also, the used ones I bought donít fit super snugly around the thighs, but this is fine for around the house as they still catch a quick pee, and he rarely poops in underwear now. Iím not sure if that fit is because of the size or if itís because they were used.

MooMoo Baby Training Pants (size 18 mos/small): These are sold under a lot of different names, but this is the name I bought them under on Amazon. Theyíre $16.90 for 4 pairs, so pretty cheap, and they have a waterproof layer in the wet zone. There isnít a ton of extra absorbency, but there is a layer or two extra. Theyíre very cute, and I thought I was going to love them, but they have a very high rise, and I ended up just not liking the fit all that well. The waistband goes to his belly button, which is much higher than all his other undies and we just tended to never reach for them, so I put them on the garage sale pile. They do come in cute prints, and would probably be great for taller/thinner babes.

Anti Leakage Baby Toddler Cute (size 90): Yeah, I donít know about the name of these, they are obviously made in China, and are sold by ďsmart sisiĒ on Amazon, so I almost passed right by them and certainly wasnít expecting to like them but I bought them on a whim. They come 6 for $20.99, so very cheap, and have a waterproof layer in the wet zone, plus 4 layers of absorbency, though thin layers. They are double gusseted, and have cartoon pictures on the butt. You guys, these. Are. My. Favorite. Underwear. The fit is great Ė they look just like plain undies, super trim, and snug all around, but not tight. They are soft and they look comfortable. Most oddly enough, they will hold a pee, and they donít leak out to his pants (I suspect this is where the double gusset comes in Ė I guess the pee probably wicks up the inside elastics, but not the outside elastics). We wear these everywhere Ė around the house all day, out and about (for shorter/quicker trips), or on walks around the neighborhood. You can easily tell if they are wet by pulling back the outer gusset Ė the inner gusset will look wet Ė and you donít actually have to put your fingers in the wet. Some threads are pulling loose on the green pair that we have, so Iím sure the quality of them is questionable, but for that price and the amazing job that they do, Iíll be happy to buy more when these fall apart. If anybody knows of an American brand of similar underwear, Iíd love to hear about them.

Blueberry (size small): I love these. It has taken them several washes be absorbent, but they will hold a wet without getting his pants wet, as long as I change him within half an hour or so. They will eventually wick out the leg bands (no waterproofing there) and onto the pants, so you can tell by looking that he is wet within a few minutes of wetting, but not right away. I use these for town or spending the day at someone elseís house where I think a potty will be accessible most of the day, but just want a little extra security since we arenít at home. I donít use them at home, because at home Iíd rather know right away that he wet and also I think the extra padding gets a little hot/sweaty which doesnít look quite as comfortable in this hot summer (although Iím sure theyíre still not as hot as a diaper would be). My only complaint is that the colors fade with only a few washes, and the undies look loved pretty quickly. I have bought a couple pairs of these used and they seem to have held up very well, so I think theyíll work for several kids. Theyíre also ridiculously adorable. I just bought a few more in the grab bag sale.

Ecoposh (size small): even better than Blueberry in my opinion, although the two are very similar in almost every way. Read what I wrote on Blueberry for when/how I use these. The insides are dark, which would be great for hiding poop stains, although he has never pooped in them so I canít confirm this. This also means that when you glance in the back, itís hard to tell if he has pooped or not. Too dark to see. These are super super soft, both inside and out which is probably why I love them, plus the elastics are very tight. HOWEVER, I bought 4 pair used off eBay, and although I canít know how used they were, their elastics are very relaxed, especially at the waist, which leads me to believe these wonít have the longevity that Blueberrys will, but I could be wrong Ė that could just be a matter of how used my use Ecoposhes were vs my used Blueberrys. Also, the inside of my used ones is much stiffer than the new ones I bought. The new ones have a very soft black velour in there, while the used ones have a brown less-soft lining. It still isnít scratchy, and I still love them, and Iím not sure if the difference is in actual materials (did Ecoposh change?) or if itís just in how much the old ones have been washed.

Imse-Vimse (size 2-3 yrs): The concept is basically the same as Blueberry and Ecoposh. Extra padded undies with a waterproof layer in the wet zone. These are ok, but just not my favorites. Not as soft as Blueberry/Ecoposh, but probably work just as well, I just donít prefer them quite as much. Again these are organic cotton, which Iím not super into. These have a terry lining. The main difference I can see between these and the Blueberry/Ecoposh is that the waistband of these is the same piece of fabric as the rest of the pants. I feel like this makes them a little bulkier somehow (like more material is gathered in at the waist, causing a bit more of a balloon effect), but this might be because these are a size larger than the others Iíve reviewed. I got these used, so I went with the size available. I noticed when I looked online that they donít make them like that anymore, so theyíre probably an excellent trainer now, and I probably would like them as well as the Blueberry and Ecoposh. If I were shopping for more, Iíd class these three together, as the kind I love, but Iíd probably preferentially shop for Ecoposh, then Blueberry, then ImseVimse, unless I were buying used; then Iíd preferentially shop for Blueberry.

Alva One-size Training Pants (one-size): These are so cheap Ė I got one pair new on eBay for $3 and free shipping. These are completely waterproof on the outside and have a very soft velour lining with some extra padding/absorbency. There are 2 rows of snaps across the front to adjust rise, and the waist elastic is very snug, but the leg holes are huge. There is no way these will fit on a young toddler. I can honestly get my own leg into these holes above my knee, and I am no twig. These went on the garage sale pile after trying them on.

Kawaii Baby One-Size Training Pants (one size): These come in some very cute prints, and are very cheap as well (I think around $5-7/pair new on eBay). These also have a completely waterproof outer, very soft inner with some extra absorbency. These are great if you are looking for a waterproof trainer on a budget. I would definitely buy more of these if I were using this type of pant, which, it turns out, we almost never do. Unlike the Alvas, the leg hole fits great on a young toddler, but is nice and stretchy so they donít look uncomfortable. Definitely these have tighter elastics than most of the other trainers we have, but they have to in order to have a good seal to hold in messes. These are basically a diaper with much less bulk/absorbency but theyíre great because they pull up/down easily. We use these for car rides that will be longer than ~30 min and I know I donít want to clean out the car seat, or for days when weíre going to be out and about a lot and Iím not sure how easy it will be to get to a potty on a regular basis. As it turns out, neither of those situations arises that often, so we donít use these very frequently. I also keep a pair of these in the car Ė if we go somewhere and he has an accident, Iím usually not in the mood to risk further accidents, and Iím ready to have something more secure on him. The main reasons that I donít use them more often are that the elastics are tighter than all my other trainers, so theyíre more difficult to pull up/down, and I canít tell if he is wet without completely putting my hand in them, which I donít love to do.

Pullups (size 2T-3T): I think these are more necessary than disposable diapers, but I know most people will disagree. There are some times when you just need something reliable on the bum, and these are that. These will hold much much pee, tear off easily in case of poop or just when you need to hurry, and can be thrown in the trash when youíre done. We used these when traveling on vacation, when we went to church the first few weeks of training, and we still use them when I just canít afford the risk of an accident, but still plan to take him potty (if I use diapers, itís too hard to get them on/off). Coupons are everywhere, so they arenít really that expensive, and once you get the hang of potty training, you donít go through many, so one small pack has lasted us 2 months and we have some leftover. I would not use them if we were having LOTS of accidents Ė they arenít worth that. One big negative is that they donít breathe much, and since I have to hunker in front of him every time he goes potty, I notice he has a bit of a musky smell about him after wearing these for very long. But since he knows the concept of pottying and since he almost never wore a disposable diaper before this, I donít worry about him feeling like they are a diaper and losing everything we worked on. I just love that I donít have to spend my vacation focused on when he needs to potty, and we actually found that while we were more relaxed about it he did much better anyway. On vacation we never had a poop in a pullup or even the beginnings of a poop, and we had very few pee accidents.

Starting over, I would buy the china cheapies from Amazon Ė probably 12 pair, a few Blueberry/EcoPosh/ImseVimse (whichever I could get the cheapest) Ė probably 4 pair, and one small pack (25/pack) of Pull-Ups. I would skip all the rest. I have bought new and used, but you can get Blueberrys new by either buying seconds or a grab bag (when they have sales), and I have found several EcoPosh trainers as Amazon Warehouse Deals for pretty good prices. I havenít found ImseVimse sales yet, but I havenít been trying for very long or hard. Even though I still use the other kinds that I have, I donít think theyíre necessary, and I would do without them if I hadnít already spent the money.

Advertisement

Last edited by Elchorrito; 10-09-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: A review of trainers on a 1 year old

https://www.theecstore.com/collectio...ant=2139773761

My first daughter was super tiny, and she potty trained early. She was done right about eighteen months. We couldn't find ANYTHING in store that she could hold up, and this was before I could sew very well. We finally found the ec store. It almost killed me to spend so much money on underwear, but she used bright bots for training pants. We liked them and they are bright fun colors. After that she wore the 'tiny undies' from that store for several months.

Addilyn is similar to Rachel, super tiny. She is eighteen months and eighteen pounds. Height wise she is right about average, so she is suuuper skinny. She is just showing interest in the potty and I am making her trainers and undies this month.

The bees knees of the tiny potty training world is handmade, IMO. You can customize size and absorbency level. I have made trainers for four kids now and undies for several, and I love them. My kids and myself will pick our homemade underwear before any brand of store bought, hands down. They don't take much material at all and are quick to make. If anyone is interested in making their own I highly recommend the kids scrundlewear pattern. https://stitchuponatime.com/product/kids-scrundlewear/ I have also used the tinkle time trainer to make several styles of trainers, even leak proof night ones. It's pretty amazing as well. https://www.craftsy.com/profile/tink...by-ladder-hill
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Wow thanks so much! For the one kid I've tried, I'm convinced starting early is the way to go, but finding underwear to fit is definitely the hard part. I'll definitely look into making some.

It seems like now that he's getting the hang of it, absorbency isn't a real issue - if he has an accident it's never a full pee, and I never need his underwear to hold that pee for very long. I just need them to stay up
Old 10-09-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

With my second daughter we did ec for quite a while when she was tiny. I didn't buy trainers at all, just took in some of the larger ones my older daughter was wearing because she had so many. I sewed a seam parallel to the side seams about 1/2 inch in. They fit way better than I had anticipated, and I didn't have to make them (which was my alternative plan). I think homemade undies would be awesome, I just don't have the time or the serger to do them well, and regular store-bought ones are fine for us.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

^^oh! That reminds me....another thing we did was use tiny sized bloomers from out grown dresses for underwear, haha. Worked ok and was way cheaper than the tiny undies.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
^^oh! That reminds me....another thing we did was use tiny sized bloomers from out grown dresses for underwear, haha. Worked ok and was way cheaper than the tiny undies.
Hmm little boys' clothes almost never come with those
Old 10-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Hmm little boys' clothes almost never come with those
Check yard sales or the bins of consignment sales. They usually have them super cheap and you can probably find navy blue or white or something that isn't girly. But honestly with as many trainers as you have you don't need it anyway!
Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #8
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
Check yard sales or the bins of consignment sales. They usually have them super cheap and you can probably find navy blue or white or something that isn't girly. But honestly with as many trainers as you have you don't need it anyway!
Right I'm no longer in the market. I did sell/get rid of a few of the trainers mentioned that I didn't like, and I don't expect my around-the-house undies to last forever, but I'm happy with what is working for us now. And the fewer accidents he has the fewer pants we need! I do think for a next kid I'd be interested in making some undies and tossing some of my less favorites.