Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Nap help!

My 5mo just will not nap unless I hold him or wear him and even then his naps don't last all that long until later in the day when he is just so wiped out! Like yesterday he took several 30 min naps. We had a function at church so I had him in my ergo and he snoozed and snored for almost 2.5 hrs.

It takes me more than an hour and a half to get him in bed at night. I've tried early bedtimes but he wakes and fusses. It usually takes several attempts of getting him to sleep then standing up to put him down, which is when he wakes then I have to start all over again. I would like him to sleep in his crib. Usually I get him down in his crib then co-sleep once he wakes up which is anywhere from 2-3 hours. He was doing 6-7!!

I think he's expecting nursing to help him go to/get back to sleep. I really don't mind nursing him to sleep but I would like for him to sleep a little longer and be able to go back to sleep on his own.

He won't take a paci or thumb. He just cries. A few times I had him asleep for his morning nap and needed to tend to my older kids. I tried putting him down but he woke up and sadly it was at least 20 minutes before I was able to get him. He just cried and cried. I really don't want to do CIO but at the same time he'll stop crying as soon as I walk back in and when I pick him up he will LAUGH!!! The little stinker. I just don't know what to do. I can't nap with him as I am planning naptime to be school time.

I'm feeling more tired and exhausted now than when he was first born! I also worry about our activities getting in the way. We have HS group Tuesday's from 9-12 starting the 13th. My older 2 will have swim lessons t/th from 1-2. Then any field trips and of course weekly (or twice weekly) grocery trips.

I have the healthy sleep habits book but it says to let him cry up to one hour. I just can't stand the thought. I can do 10-15 minutes and fussing vs all out crying is different too.

My older boys sucked fingers so I didn't have this problem with them! Help! Im tired and at a loss!

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
myoo
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Nap help!

You have my sympathy. My 5 month old is also a 30-minute napper and it drives me bonkers.

I've read all the sleep books and the one I liked the most was The Sleep Lady's Good Night, Sleep Tight. I need to check it out and read it again now that he's going to be 6 months soon and, unfortunately, it looks like we're going to have to do some form of sleep training. *sigh*
Old 09-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Stefibeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nap help!

I thought DS was NEVER going to take naps! He was also a 30 minute "cat napper" and he'd ONLY nap on me for the longest time. He was STTN pretty early on, but naps were just terrible! I ended up just going with it and letting him nap on me when he wanted to (often in a wrap, I wore him all the time at that age) and magically around 6-7 months he put himself into a schedule of regular naps and as I saw that he was napping more soundly and longer I just started laying him down for naps and things kept getting better from there. Very soon after the 6-7 month mark he put himself on a regular 2 nap a day schedule and has been a WONDERFUL napper ever since (ever since he was about 13mo he switched over to one nap a day and sleeps 1-4/4.30 everyday! I NEVER thought we'd get to this point when he was 5mo!).

I know from talking with other moms with kids DS's age that they experienced very similar things, so in my experience it's very normal for babies to nap like that when they're younger so my advice would be to just wear him for naps right now and hopefully soon you'll see him establish more of a nap routine and as he starts getting more regular/sleeping for longer spurts, try transitioning him to where you'd like him to sleep. Especially considering it sounds like you're going to be on the go soon, it might be a good thing if he just wants to snooze with being worn.

I'm obviously not an expert, but that's my advice based on my own experience. GL, mama!
Old 09-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for the encouragement! I hope he does settle into a schedule soon. The funny thing is today we went and picked peaches at a local farm. I had him on my back and he fell asleep. He barely stirred when I took him off my back and put him in the car seat! But he woke as I carried his car seat back into the house. Later he fell asleep on my back but I had him in a MT and his head was flopping over. I tried to lay him on the bed but he woke up. So I've caused not good naps too. I should have just left him there.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sounds like the 4 month sleep regression which can happen really between 3 and 6 months. They are getting into 'adult REM cycles' and they don't sleep as hard.

I am with you as my LO's 4month sleep regression last for a month and a half and I was plain exhausted.

Google it for more info/ideas. Now is the time to be careful about introducing any bad habits and teaching self soothing. Or getting up 5-6x a night. Or both...
Old 09-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
Sounds like the 4 month sleep regression which can happen really between 3 and 6 months. They are getting into 'adult REM cycles' and they don't sleep as hard.

I am with you as my LO's 4month sleep regression last for a month and a half and I was plain exhausted.

Google it for more info/ideas. Now is the time to be careful about introducing any bad habits and teaching self soothing. Or getting up 5-6x a night. Or both...
Really? That stinks! My other kids didn't do this but they were ff by this age. Not sure if that makes a difference. He does wake up 2-3 hours after I put him down and I just get in the guest bed with him. It's the only way I'll get any sleep. He'll go another 4 hours after that. Should I try and let him learn to self soothe? Right now he will just cry and I don't have the heart to let him keep going! He just wants to nurse to sleep. No paci or thumb right now.