Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
snugsboutique
Registered Users
seller

How old?

My DS is 3.5 now and he is still in his toddler bed. Lately he has been getting up at night to go sleep on the couch. I'm really not sure why he has developed this habbit. At first I thougt it was because of the misquitos in his room. But now that it is fall, we have less bugs in the house.

I think it might be time to get him a real twin size bed for his room. How old was/is your LO when you put them in a real bed? Any suggestions on the style? I was thinking of investing in a bunk bed. Eventhough I only have one child, I figure that I may have more and if not he will be using this bed for a long time and can use it for sleepovers in the future.

Thanks mamas

Advertisement

I'm BAAACK!! Check out my new ready to ship items on my Etsy and Hyena Cart shops!
snugsboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: How old?

I would think he'd be more comfortable on a better, more supportive mattress. It could have become a habit, and he may just prefer the couch, or he may be a sleepwalker. But, I think close to four years on a crib mattress would get uncomfortable.

Oh..and, I like Ikea kid's beds. Otherwise, I suggest going for a full size bed so he can play in the bed too. (or maybe only girls do that?)

Last edited by escapethevillage; 09-02-2011 at 11:35 AM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
ferociousb
Registered Users
seller

The only reason my kids got out of toddler beds (my oldest was in an ikea "youth" -- toddler sized -- until he was almost 5) was because we purchased a bunk bed to save space. My youngest is 3, and he's been in the bunk bed (twin size) since before he was 3. I don't think it's a big deal but I'm also not sure it'll break the habit.
ferociousb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

DD went straight from a crib to a twin bed when she turned 2. We never bothered with a toddler bed. DH built our bed, so I don't have much in the way of suggestions. But I will say that having a bed that is not too tall is of course nice. They need to be able to climb on and off safely. I think a bunk bed sounds like a great idea. We were also considering going that route. And in my experience, the bottom bunk is usually pretty low to the ground. Some places sell bunk beds that can be separated if you want, which is a great option. And I've seen some that are a double bed on the bottom and twin bed on the top. Seems neat to me. But in any case, what kid wouldn't love a bunk bed?

Last edited by Janine; 09-02-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
JAG's baby mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd probably ask him why he doesn't sleep in his own bed.

AFM, our kids both went into regular full size beds at 6mos and 10mos respectively. They never liked a crib, co-slept with us until the transition, and I didn't see the point in buying kids beds when we already owned perfectly good normal beds.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Mama2Girlies
Registered Users
seller

My dd moved on her third birthday.
Mama2Girlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Qbit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG's baby mama View Post
I'd probably ask him why he doesn't sleep in his own bed.

AFM, our kids both went into regular full size beds at 6mos and 10mos respectively. They never liked a crib, co-slept with us until the transition, and I didn't see the point in buying kids beds when we already owned perfectly good normal beds.
Ditto to the bolded part. I'd just straight up ask him about it.
My DS will be 3 this winter. He slept in his crib when he was a baby but then we ended up co-sleeping and we've just recently started having DS sleep in his toddler bed (converted from his crib). I already want to get him a bigger comfier bed though. DS moves around a lot at night and he rolls out, or half out of bed at least once a night. Problem is, I don't know where we'll put a bigger bed!

Last edited by Qbit; 09-02-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Qbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #8
kandbcase
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would ask him about why he sleeps on the couch too.

For us, DS went from cosleeping with me to a bed here at our house (at about 2.5), he's still in a toddler bed at ex-H's house, my mom was just joking the other day he'll be 16 & in his toddler bed still.
DD is switching to a twin bed this fall when we move & she gets to give up her crib/ toddler bed to the baby, she'll be just about 3.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #9
MamaHare
Registered Users
seller

ODS switched to a twin mattress and box spring (no frame - just sitting on the floor) about 22months before baby #2 arrived. It's nice because we can lie down with him.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using DS Forum
Old 09-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #10
Casie629
Registered Users
seller

I am about to move my 3 1/2 year old to a twin. He is getting too tall for a toddler bed. I want the Ikea Kura bed. It can be used as a low to the ground bed, or a loft bed. Many people use it as a bunk with a mattress underneath on the floor or they put fabric over the bottom part to make a fort. If you google the bed and click images, there are awesome ideas. Maybe something like that would work for you, since it gives the option of a bunk but has other options too.

I plan to use it as a bunk bed with my 17 mo old on the bottom.
Expecting a rainbow in August 2016
Casie629 is offline   Reply With Quote