Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Sedonahill
Registered Users

My Mood:
Weaning from swaddling??

So my son is 11 weeks old and has been sleeping in his crib, in his own room for almost a month. We have been swaddling at night and when he is swaddled, he will often sleep for 5-6 hours at a stretch. But the last week or so, he has become really interested in his hands and really seems to like to bring them up to his mouth. When he naps during the day, he has his hands free and does fine, but if I try to leave him unswaddled at night, he will only stay asleep for a few hours (usually under 3 at a stretch). Should I be trying to wean him from swaddling at this point, or should I wait? He seems to want to have his hands free, but then he wakes himself up. How did you wean you little one from swaddling? How old were they? And what about rolling over? He keeps trying to roll and I am afraid that if he is swaddled and rolls, he will be stuck on his face? Any thoughts?

Advertisement

Sedonahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weaning from swaddling??

Our DD is a week shy of 9 months and is swaddled right this minute I never really learned how to swaddle correctly w/ our other Littles. This has been awesome. As the night passes she may wiggle one or both arms out but she definately falls asleep faster and stays asleep longer w/ her "bundle". If he is going to wake himself up you should keep wrapping him IMO. Poppy kept rubbing her ears and eyes w/ out. If you are worried about him rolling you could roll 2 baby blankets or prefolds and tuck them along side him to keep him still?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
BKmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I started with 1 arm out around 3 mts, then 2 arms, then loose swaddle both arms out until DD didn't need it any more around 5/6 months.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Jsweetheart1019
Registered Users

Well... Ds was 18 months by the time I fully broke him of the swaddle. Around 7 months I started leaving 1 arm out, at 8 months I left both out and just did his waist down til 18 months when he was just way to big for it and we moved into a toddler sleep sack. Ds was a terrible sleeper so I swaddled for as long as possible.
Jsweetheart1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweetheart1019 View Post
Well... Ds was 18 months by the time I fully broke him of the swaddle. Around 7 months I started leaving 1 arm out, at 8 months I left both out and just did his waist down til 18 months when he was just way to big for it and we moved into a toddler sleep sack. Ds was a terrible sleeper so I swaddled for as long as possible.
Sorry to hijack, but I am so glad I'm not the only one! My DD is 15 months, and we still swaddle her. She's totally outgrown her Miracle Blanket, but we still make it work. She's put so many holes in it, it's practically in shreds. Her feet go through a huge hole in the foot pocket, and basically the only part of her that is truly still swaddled is her upper arms. Her hands are free. I'm so afraid of weaning her completely, though, because in every attempt I've made she's FREAKED OUT at being put in the crib without being swaddled. So...I'm hoping her swaddle will continue to just fall apart to the point where she can gradually get used to having less and less of it until it's all gone...
Wife to my supportive DH and WAHM to DD Nora (06/10), DS Emerson (07/12), and baby #5 (due 5/16) and my precious babies in heaven: Bennet (died 8/15 at 12 months) and Lucy (miscarried 7/15).
melyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #6
Sedonahill
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks so much mommas! I was worried that I needed to start weaning him soon, but it's great to hear that he can go longer. We swaddled last night and everyone slept better.
Sedonahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Woombie makes a swaddler that you can let the arms out if you want to!

Last edited by Joyful Tie Dyes; 09-03-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
nkmcginty
Registered Users
seller

DS is 8 mo tomorrow and is napping peacefully in his woombie as we speak! we're trying to wean him from it, too. but its been a challenge! this thread makes me feel better
Old 09-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

By the way, my DD learned to turn over both ways in her swaddle (Miracle Blanket), and then it wasn't a problem. Even before she figured out how to turn back, she did turn her head to the side so she wasn't sleeping on her face--but she's always let us know she was on her tummy, so we'd go in and flip her. :-)

Now she can practically do anything while swaddled. She even does sign language while swaddled! (Her hands are out.)
Wife to my supportive DH and WAHM to DD Nora (06/10), DS Emerson (07/12), and baby #5 (due 5/16) and my precious babies in heaven: Bennet (died 8/15 at 12 months) and Lucy (miscarried 7/15).
melyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
My DD was swaddled until.... um.... 8 months?

Her arms were out from about 6 months, I think.

I didn't wean her, but when I put her in a regular sleep sack, she transitioned seamlessly. I did that basically when the swaddle was far too small.

She learned fairly quickly to turn her head so that she wasn't face-planted into the mattress.