Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
TessVH92
Registered Users

New to CD, help!

Hello, I am new to CD. I have some stash consisting of some BG pockets (hopefully for nighttime use mostly), some Grovia Ai2s and a few inserts and prefolds.

Please help me! How did you figure out when to use what inserts or sizes? Are there any tips and tricks you wish you knew starting out? Anything will be tons of help!!!!

Advertisement

TessVH92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: New to CD, help!

I liked grovia ai2 for bedtime over bg, I always felt they held a little more but that could just be me. I think you are going to have to play with them on your baby to see what works best. Unfortunately the problem is once you start playing around with diapers and types a researching you become addicted and collect more and more and more LOL. Here is a good video that shows how to get a good fit putting on your cloth diaper
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
madelmom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
Unfortunately the problem is once you start playing around with diapers and types a researching you become addicted and collect more and more and more LOL.
This is so true! My baby won't be here for another 5-8 weeks and I'm a complete diaper-holic!

Basically from what I have learned in all my researching is that different things work differently for different moms and babies ;p I have spent a lot of time combing through the "favorite diapers" and "what I wish I had known before having a newborn" threads and started compiling a newborn stash with a few of the most common favorites so I can try them for myself and hopefully develop the rest of my stash based on what I love out of that.
madelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
TessVH92
Registered Users

I am in need of the convienence of disposables but the ease of washing of pre-folds. I was going to do Flips but I did not feel that the inserts would stay in place as well so I wanted ones that snapped or were held in place.
Does anyone know where I can get snaps to make my own inserts? I know Grovia uses a more unique snap.
TessVH92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
melisandescott
Registered Users

I've been researching a lot, too, and have JUST started assembling my stash. I'm not due until June and have 5 NB BG AIOs and 7 Flip inserts. I've built a registry for my shower, and will continue to build afterwards, to fill in gaps (wanting GMD oranges/yellows with some Thirsties duos, Lil Joeys, and a few other covers).
melisandescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:36 PM   #6
sherenemartensen
Registered Users

I've found that while I really love the BG 4.0 pocket diapers, I can only use them during the day because my little girl soaks through them at night. At night we use BG Free Time, which is BG's all in one diaper. They last the whole night, unless my daughter poops. We are huge fans of BG
sherenemartensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:53 PM   #7
ohmeohmyfluffs
Registered Users
seller

I prefer natural fiber diapers myself. I have a ton of BG to destash.
ohmeohmyfluffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:47 PM   #8
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TessVH92 View Post
I am in need of the convienence of disposables but the ease of washing of pre-folds. I was going to do Flips but I did not feel that the inserts would stay in place as well so I wanted ones that snapped or were held in place.
Does anyone know where I can get snaps to make my own inserts? I know Grovia uses a more unique snap.
If you're on a budget I've cannibalized snaps from old onesies to make snap-in soakers and doublers. I just cut the fabric around the snap, then whip-stitch each side. Just don't stitch through PUL.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:57 AM   #9
madelmom
Registered Users

I've heard a lot of mommas say that the FLIP system works really well as a daytime option but haven't heard of them being used at night. So far the common response is that fitteds with wool covers works best for overnight (though of course there are others with different systems that work for them, this has been the most common response I have found). You might buy a few Flips, a few Best Bottoms, and a few Grovia AI2s and try them since all three of them are an insert+cover system. Best Bottoms and Grovia's snap in.
madelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 AM   #10
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

I really like BG 4.0s but not for nighttime. I've never had success with any pocket overnight. I'm a fitted and wool person for nights. Fitteds and PUL for when my kids are at their heaviest wetting.

I also stuff all pockets or fill shells with flats or prefolds for daytime, I'm not a fan of microfibre.

As for sizing you just figure it out as you go. When baby is around 10-12lbs and your ready to start OS diapers snap them down to their smallest setting. Put on baby and check the legs for any gaps or if too snug. I generally want to be able to fit 1 finger between diaper and thigh comfortably (not super tight but snug enough to have a seal). Around the waist you want it to be just on (so not tight and not really loose). You don't want any muffin too when you sits up. For inserts you figure that out based on need. So I like diapers to last at least a 1.5hrs, preferably 2 hrs minimum (but not always possible especially with newborns). So of baby soaks in 30min then I know I need more absorbency.
Jcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote