Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you have 4 year olds or older... please help!

That all sounds like normal 4yo girl stuff. Understanding that an unwanted behavior is typical and accepting it are two different things. Just because lots of 4yo do the same thing doesn't mean you have to like it or even get over it Use them as a teaching moment, understand that it could take a while for her to learn the skill, and move on. When she flips out about the clothes you chose you could remind her what you would like her to say instead "excuse me mama can I wear my pink skirt instead please". Our oldest DD was a baby grown-up to. I wish I could tell you it gets easier. Gotta love the experimental oops I mean first child.

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Beaners_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yeah everything you said sounds about right lol.
My DD is 5 and seems very similar to what you said. Heh
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjk View Post

So....I know this is a strange request, but if you have 4 yr olds and older, PLEASE tell me about the awful things they do. I need the truly awful, the everyday annoying, the "THIS IS JUST WHAT A 4 YEAR OLD DOES, GET OVER IT" stuff. She's really a pretty conscientious kid and wants to do the right thing, but I think we hold her to too high a standard because we don't know---do all 4 year olds throw random tantrums yet? Do they all start experimenting with rude responses once they start preschool? Do they all flip out if you grab their jeans when they were wanting to wear their shorts (but didn't ask for them)? Do they spill their milk, get themselves too much cereal, decide they hate chickpeas a week after declaring them yummy?

You can see why I don't sleep at night.
Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep and yep.

I think we expected too much from our oldest, too, and I feel like we'll be paying for it the rest of our lives.

She's 5 now and it's somewhat better. I expect it will continue to get better as she starts to see herself as part of the world, not the center of it.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjk View Post
do all 4 year olds throw random tantrums yet? Do they all start experimenting with rude responses once they start preschool? Do they all flip out if you grab their jeans when they were wanting to wear their shorts (but didn't ask for them)? Do they spill their milk, get themselves too much cereal, decide they hate chickpeas a week after declaring them yummy?
Yes, all of that and more.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yep all normal.

That is actually my DS2, now 7. But more of a perfectionist, get's upset about if it's not done right. Beyond particular about his clothes.....not in a snooty way, but won't wear sweats that are loose( I think he's afraid they will slip down when playing and expose his underwear, lol).

For the last 2 years my comments at the parent teacher meeting to the question "what do you want him to get out of this year" has been....." I want him to relax and know it's ok not to be perfect, that it's ok to make a mistake".

Ironically my nephew went through a ton of test's this year due to internal bleeding, blood loss. Turns out it was purely because of stress and an ulcer inside. He is so similar to DS2 and a perfectionist.....kinda scary. My nephew is only 13 and now dr wants him to learn relaxation techniques etc, how to deal with stress and not everything has to be perfect.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #16
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

She'll be 5 in September. She's mainly a good kid, but she's particular, mercurial, and has terrible impulse control. And I adore her.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
hjk
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post

She'll be 5 in September. She's mainly a good kid, but she's particular, mercurial, and has terrible impulse control. And I adore her.
That is stinkin' hilarious. I can't show that to my DD or she'll never quit asking what was on her face, until she can figure out how to do it to herself!
hjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post

Looking for the 'like' button. Awesome picture!!