Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Nap help

DS has never been a good sleeper, period. He's almost 6 months and has yet to nap unless I'm holding/wearing him. At night we cosleep and he's nurses frequently/constantly. I can't help but believe if he napped better he would sleep better at night (sleep begets sleep in my experience). I don't mind holding/wearing him for naps but it would be nice to have some downtime or be able to get some things done that are hard to do with an infant attached to you (gardening for example) or even to just spend time with my other kids. Plus I WOH and it would be nice for DH and our in home sitter to be able to put him down for naps. By evening he is super grouchy if we haven't been able to devote time to him napping (for example when I have to get things done and he doesn't want to nap while being worn). Just looking for some btdt experience or suggestions. TIA

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Nap help

I only have one kid so I am far, far from an expert but do you think you could try setting him down every time he falls asleep? If he wakes up then just play, whatever until he falls back asleep and then lay him down again. At some point I think he'll get so tired that he might actually stay asleep when you lay him down. And then it might become a new habit.
You have my sympathies, he sounds exhausting!
Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone
I only have one kid so I am far, far from an expert but do you think you could try setting him down every time he falls asleep? If he wakes up then just play, whatever until he falls back asleep and then lay him down again. At some point I think he'll get so tired that he might actually stay asleep when you lay him down. And then it might become a new habit.
You have my sympathies, he sounds exhausting!
I do lay him down when he falls asleep which quickly results in fussing, I attempt to help him soothe without picking him up which then results in screaming so we pick him up, settle him and then play etc. This can go on all day until I eventually just let him nap on me out if shear exhaustion.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Honestly I'd cold turkey stop letting him nap on you. Period. At all. It will probably be a week of hell but my bet is that he'll eventually break the habit and sleep elsewhere, he physically can't go long without napping so at some point he'll stay asleep when he's set down. Just my opinion and I am fairly inexperienced so take it for what it's worth.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

This was my DD2. Didn't get better til closer to 7-8 months. I finally night weaned at 13 months. She literally slept only if my nipple was actually in her mouth for the 1st 2-3 months. I honestly just had to keep trying to lay her down. It really helped to keep my hands on her for a minute after laying her down. Also white noise. She hated swaddling and pacifiers. You have my sympathy!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

My experience with a high needs/clingy baby was with my DS. I tried repeatedly to get him to nap without me but he just couldn't. I did not try CIO, though. Anyway, around a year he started scooting over to his own space in the bed instead of plastering himself to me and I took that as a sign that he was ready for his own space. We transitioned him straight to a big boy bed at that point and he is actually a very easy to put to bed kid now. I don't know of it's just me trying to validate my choices but I do feel that he honestly needed that reassurance and contact at that age and that giving him the closeness and satisfying that need has helped make him a secure sleeper.

So yeah, that's probably not helpful at all. Sorry! Maybe he will be ready for his own space soon. Good luck!
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

I feel for you!! My ds was like that, every stinking time i would lay him down he would immediately start screaming. I tried leaning over a swing to nurse him. no go. singing didn't help. nothing but mama would do! so I started to nurse him on the bed side by side and then roll away SLOWLY! Once he Was in a deep enough sleep He would stay asleep! I did the arm test, if you pick up an arm and there is muscle resistance, baby isn't in a deep enough sleep. Once an arm is "floppy" you're at your mark. It was a miracle. Just make sure not to get a shirt caught under him, or he would wake right back up. We still sleep this way, (he is 18 months now) and I just sneak away after he nurses. Sometimes he jostles, so I lay a minuet more with my back towards him and he'll settle back down. Once I was worried about him rolling off the bed we put the crib mattress on the floor by our bed so if he rolled off he would have a cushy landing. ( he did fall a few times during the night but didn't even cry. Just bounced I picked him up and he went right back to sleep!)

I won't lie and say my baby is an awesome sleeper now. His naps are okay (about an hour 2 if I'm lucky) but he won't sleep longer than an hour without me at night. CIO just isn't for us though so I will take what I can get!

I imagine it would work just as well for a bottle baby. Cuddle in bed, hold them tightly and then sneak away!

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 06-04-2013 at 09:09 PM.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote