Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #21
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is preschool necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
Preschool is absolutely not necessary. I have no idea why people think that a 3 or 4 year old should be put into a "school" environment. Why make them grow up so fast?

My kids are homeschooled and the argument that sending them prepares them to behave in the institution setting is mind boggling to me. Why should they have to spend their early years learning that.

And the argument that they learn doesn't sit with me either. My kids learn so much more from us at home than in a preschool. They are exposed to all kinds of different situations and a wide array of people. Not some room with the same age kids and same teachers day in and day out.

I know I will get flamed for this, as I have before but I see absolutely no merit in preschool. I, as a parent, can teach all the things that a preschool teacher can in my home environment and not have to worry about negative outside influences.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
I think I love you. But yeah, you'll probably get flamed. I said on a thread once that I didn't think there was any benefit to preschool and people didn't like it too much.

Advertisement

jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now
Preschool is absolutely not necessary. I have no idea why people think that a 3 or 4 year old should be put into a "school" environment. Why make them grow up so fast?

My kids are homeschooled and the argument that sending them prepares them to behave in the institution setting is mind boggling to me. Why should they have to spend their early years learning that.

And the argument that they learn doesn't sit with me either. My kids learn so much more from us at home than in a preschool. They are exposed to all kinds of different situations and a wide array of people. Not some room with the same age kids and same teachers day in and day out.

I know I will get flamed for this, as I have before but I see absolutely no merit in preschool. I, as a parent, can teach all the things that a preschool teacher can in my home environment and not have to worry about negative outside influences.

Agreed. I think I'll go put on my flame retardant maternity dress now ;-)
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I think it can really be a kid by kid basis. DD originally started going to school because I was in college and after that because I had to work. Now "school" only added up to 8-12 hours a week. I call it school because it is NOT a daycare. Anyway, what I am trying to say is that DD has continued going because she loves it. She doesn't actually learn anything there because she knows it already due to her eagerness to learn at home. But she loves going. She loves her friends and her teachers. And she has tons of friends outside of school. Our social schedule is always packed. And I am glad that DD has been able to be in such a setting because she is a sensitive little soul and I cannot imagine her first school experience being kindergarten. If I had it my way I would homeschool her. Single mom and homeschooling do not mix.

ibotta with me and save money on groceries!
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #24
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I think it's a nice transition to do it at least the year before K if your K is all day. It's a bit much to go from being home with mum all day to being at school with 1 adult and 18 kids for 6 hours.

If your child is in daycare then I wouldn't say it's necessary at all.

Of course.. where I am, reading is a Gr1 skill, not kindergarten. If your kids are expected to read in Kindergarten then some pre-school learning is required but the location of said learning doesn't matter per se.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #25
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now

I agree a million times over. MAYBE it is good for a 4 or 5 year old before kindergarten but no way does a 3 year old NEED it.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:09 PM   #26
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Nope. My girls went to public school k-5. No preschool and were always honor students and way ahead of their peers. Study after study shows that by 3rd grade no one can tell the difference between those that went to preschool and those that didn't. I personally think its a waste of money and time. (There are many other ways to do what preschool does that doesn't involve a school setting)

That said my 3.5 year old is in preschool for special needs children. She will never attend public school because we now homeschool but its free and the school district provides therapy for her that we couldn't afford. And so far the only benefit we have seen is that she thrives on a schedule and it keeps her regulated. Other than that she already knew colors, letters and numbers just from learning at home.

Can preschool be good for some kids, sure. Low income kids, kids who have 2 parents working, kids who struggle socially etc, but IMO it is no different than daycare and definitely not teaching kids stuff that can't be learned at home, or in another setting.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #27
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody
but IMO it is no different than daycare and definitely not teaching kids stuff that can't be learned at home, or in another setting.
I wholeheartedly agree with this!!

7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #28
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:

My only disagreement is the "blanketness" of your statements. You specifically as a parent can do everything a preK teacher can, this is not universally true. Preschool may have no benefit because of your specific parenting choices and abilities, but there are children for whom it is extremely beneficial. Unfortunately not all parents are created equal.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #29
Teddyandnick
Registered Users
seller
seller

I put my 3 year old DS in 2 days a week for 2.5 hrs. He has a ton of energy and has trouble sitting still. I wanted to get him into a school routine and getting used to holding still for a little bit before starting kindergarten. I also wanted him to get used to listening to someone other than me or my DH telling him what to do. He is ahead of what they are teaching for his age, but he still enjoys learning. He loves going to preschool. DS2 is going to start next year when he is 2 for 1 day a week, just to get him used to being away from me. He is always excited when we take DS1 to school and he goes in the class for a couple minutes while I help DS1 put his things in his cubby. I like how they get more interaction with kids their own age. We don't have any kids his age in our neighborhood. We haven't had any cons with the preschool, other than getting 2 kids up, fed, dressed and out the door is a pain. Both boys like to sleep until they wake up by themselves. They get cranky if I have to wake them up. LOL. I don't think it is necessary for everyone, but I definitely think it is a positive experience for my boys.
Teddyandnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #30
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 2 (turn 3 this summer) year old twins will start at a Montessori preschool in the fall. For us it was a no-brainer. We both work, so they're in daycare. If they're not at home I'd rather them be in school rather than daycare now that they're old enough!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote