Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tell me about your 3 week old babies...

So... Just wondering if you mamas can tell me a bit about your babies when they were 3 weeks old. What were they like (alert, not alert etc)? What were their sleep wake patterns? Eye contact, interaction etc... Anything you can tell me would be awesome!

I'm asking because my 3 week old foster ds seems as though he may be a little "vacant" it's hard to tell though and with me being in "mommy mode" I just love and snuggle him and think he's amazing. My mom was the one who brought it up.. I honestly have no good baseline though because my dd was an incredibly high needs baby who was always veryyyy alert. His apgars were somewhat concerning... A 2 at 2 minutes but an 8 at 5 minutes. I just love him so much and I want him to be okay

I will admit that he stares off into the distance quite a bit and practically NEVER cries. He does seem to recognize my voice though and attempts to track me with his eyes. He sees Early intervention for an eval soon but I wanted to get some real mama input.

TIA!!!

Advertisement

Last edited by looking8186; 06-03-2013 at 07:38 PM.
looking8186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I think its a little soon to tell just from that. My 3 week olds are sleeping a lot, and maybe a smile here and there...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
marenmccoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I think three weeks is a little early to expect eye contact or interaction. My ds is six weeks and just starting to do this.

If he's not crying much, maybe he's just an easygoing baby. My first was (still is) high needs. Last week I put ds2 down on my bed and he fell asleep lying there. I just about fell over from surprise.

Anyway, there's a.wide range of normal. If he's still staring off and seeming "vacant" at three MONTHS then I might be concerned.
marenmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
looking8186
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Tell me about your 3 week old babies...

Oh good! Phew.... I'm glad to hear that.. I was thinking the same thing but a few people have asked me about him. I was just hoping and praying that he was fine and they were over achievers I'm generally pretty laid back though!
Old 06-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
They are probably asking because they may know or suspect his prenatal history and reading too much into it. I don't remember much about that age other then they sleep all the time.
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

At three weeks this lo was basically in a food coma with little interaction. Now at six weeks old he makes eye contact and coos . I would not worry mama !
Old 06-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yep, I wouldn't worry about 3 weeks. My little guy was maybe awake for 4 hours a day total at that age. I thought the same thing at 2 weeks because I was a first time momma and didn't know any better. He's a 100% normal 16 month old now I'm sure you're just worried because you know he wasn't baking in you and are worried.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack
At three weeks this lo was basically in a food coma with little interaction. Now at six weeks old he makes eye contact and coos . I would not worry mama !
Agreed - we didn't start catching smiles until 6 weeks and it didn't become frequent until 2 months.

I think it'd be too soon to tell with yours.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Nangirl17
Registered Users
seller

They should be smiling, tracking, and cooing by about 6 weeks. You've got lots of time!!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Some kids just have that vacant look. My cousin and DD are 2 weeks apart. She was always very alert and he was the vacant one. 4 years later I still think he looks vacant most of the time lol but he is neurotypical and fine.

ibotta with me and save money on groceries!
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote