Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
pester
Registered Users

Play group snack question

My oldest is 16 mo so I'm venturing into the play date/group arena for the first time and have a question about what's normal.

The moms group at my church got together at the park today. Being public their were others their too. My question was about snack sharing. At one point my daughter wanted the crackers another mom was giving her LO. With my permission the other mom shared the snack. I went and got her stuff from the car but being a toddler she wanted what the other kid had. No big deal they shared and I was prepared to share too. But then I was sitting off a little ways nursing my newborn and a mom not of our group stopped by and was visiting. And her son just started eating the crackers i had out of the box. He grabbed a few before either his mom or I realized what he was after. I was ok with it as he was of the age to maybe not understand they weren't his. I didn't make a big deal of it but then he basically just sat there eating. I realize the box was just sitting there next to me and not in a stroller or anything. Is it common practice at park/group setting for snacks left out to be for any kid? I'm ok with sharing with a little one just learning but kinda didn't like feeding a random strangers kid.

Advertisement

pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Don't leave your snacks out.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
TobinsTreasures
Registered Users
Formerly: Kelsey***3
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Play group snack question

The moms I hang out with have younger kids (mostly under 1) but no one shares food with anyone else- they all have their own.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Unfortunately some moms will let their kids eat strangers food without permission or caring. It is best to put away snacks your kiddo isn't eating at the moment.

I have even had random strange kids old enough to know better(think around 10 years of age) come ask for our food when we were cooking out the park. Those kids I flat out tell to go away.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #5
pester
Registered Users

Ok. My newborn really needed to nurse and I was sitting off by myself in the shade of a tree. They were sitting right next to me.

Like I said this was my first time ever so I didn't know what was normal. Is in a stroller "away"? Or at a park is it fair game unless its in your car?

I'm ok with sharing especially within the mom(s) I'm out with. I was just wondering how to handle the random strange kid.
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just keep them hidden unless you don't care, some kids and parents have zero tact and will let their child devour other people's food.
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I always keep ours out of sight unless I'm prepared to share with every child present. I have had kids (like 2-3 year olds) go digging in our bag looking for snacks I've put away and I'm not shy about gently saying "oh no thanks, honey, those are for Ethan for later."

But usually I'm pretty generous with sharing our snacks and just leave them out.

With my own kids, they know to ask me AND the other parent for permission before accepting other snacks. And I'm working with the older one on not asking for food/drinks/treats that haven't been offered to him.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At our playgroup we share with eachother. If I'm at a park with snacks and a kid I don't know asks for some, if his/her mom says ok then I'll share. If I don't have enough then I'll politly tell them "not this time" or something like that. I always make sure the parent says ok first because of allergies.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd say sharing with people in your group is totally normal. And having a stranger's toddler come up and want something that's out in the open is normal too (I mean, the kid surely doesn't know any better yet). But that child's mother should have noticed and then redirected the kid and politely apologized once she did notice. It's tacky that she didn't do anything about it. Anyway, it happens. I'd just let it go in the moment when it happens and put them in the stroller closed up next time.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:39 PM   #10
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

That is just strange. If my child ate someone strangers food I would apologize . During our play dates everyone brings a snack to share. We set them out on a table and all the parents and kids know the food on the table is for everyone.