Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
applebutter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Grrrr... dr telling me I should start weaning no later than 9 mos

I took DS to his 6 mo well baby visit Friday afternoon. I switched him to my family practice dr because his ped decreased his office hours to just two days per week, and it was too hard to get appts.

There were a LOT of things about the visit that upset me and seemed a bit off, but the nursing thing really irked me the most.

First, he told me that I will want to start weaning when DS starts teething because he will bite me. DS's teeth popped through more than 6 wks ago. Sure, he's nibbled and bit a little. But not much, and it's nothing that I can't deal with! I told the dr that, and he then stated that the AAP "allows" BFing up to age two (wrong, but whatever! LOL), but he thinks I should start weaning at 9 mos so DS will be using a cup by his birthday. Ummm, DS has been using a sippy cup for more than two months already... (he refuses to take a bottle on the days I have to work outside of the house, so DH has to get fluids in him somehow, and the Nuby cups are a lifesaver).

I did express some concern to the dr about DS's weigh gain (he's only gained two lbs in two months, and should be more like 2.5-2.75 lbs if he's gaining .70 ounces per day, which is what my LC said is the target weight gain, right??). So then he replies that because my hubby is Asian, DS is genetically predisposed to be smaller. WTH does that have to do with slow weight gain?!?

I'm moving DS back to peds. He'll have to see an ARNP most likely, but at least it will be someone that "does babies." I don't think my dr has many, if any, LO's in his practice...

So enough venting... Should I be concerned about DS's weight gain? It's at about .5 ounces/day right now. He's been nursing a lot less since we introduced solids, but when I stopped solids for a few days, his nursing didn't pick back up. Maybe I need to give MORE solids?

Advertisement

ISO:
DD Granny Smith, Caramel Apple, MM Circe, SBish interlock longies w/11"+ inseam

Last edited by applebutter; 02-16-2010 at 01:25 PM.
applebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
jellybelly37
formerly J*****e
seller

My Mood:
Re: Grrrr... dr telling me I should start weaning no later than 9 mos

Well, weight gain is not too much of an issue as long as your child is moving up the weight curve still, not dropping dramatically in percentiles. Normally as long as they don't move down and cross two lines on the chart (i.e. from 50th percentile to less than 10th) it is not a reason for concern, so I would look more at the trend rather than the specific amount of weight gain. Also, many BF babies gain a lot of weight and will be higher on the curve, and then once you introduce solids and they start crawling etc, they drop down and settle into their natural growth curve. My DD was a EBF baby until 6 months, she was always around the 50th percentile, but after 9 months started to drop and now has remained around the 10th percentile. The ped was a little concerned and we had a few extra weight checks but she is continuing to grow now at that percentile and her development is above normal in other ways, so she's just a small kid. I was always small and my growth chart followed the same trend. You can try introducing calorie rich foods like avocado etc. I don't know what the doc is talking about saying you need to wean, sounds like an idiot to me. Keep nursing and don't worry about it!
jellybelly37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

1 lb a month weight gain is perfectly fine at that age. That's all DD gained too. She is has dropped from 50th percentile (birth) to 10th percentile now, but the doctor is not worried. She has never lost weight, she just gains slowly!

How could a doctor know so little ??
Old 02-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Uggghhhhh, sheer ignorance from doctors irritate the snot out of me. Seriously would he ask a FF'ing mother to start weaning from formula at 9 months???

I think I'd be looking for a new doctor. It sounds like he doesn't keep up on AAP and WHO recommendations very well and doesn't really have any sort of insight into breastfeeding. I understand they don't get extensive BF'ing training in med school, but as a pediatrician especially, he should take the time to educate himself a bit more about the subject matter.

And I agree, the pound a month is normal!
http://thebewitchinglyordinaryhousewife.blogspot.com/
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I expressed similar concerns at my DD's 6m check-up too. My ped assured me that at this age babies start becoming much more active and burn calories faster-so they may not gain as quickly. Also, he reminded me that breastmilk (or formula) generally has more calories than most solids you would give your LO (aside from maybe meat products or avocados).

My DD has been in the 15-20th percentile for some time now and she rarely gains more than 1lb a month. The doc isn't worried at all about it. He reassured me that as long as she's meeting milestones and NOT losing weight, she's most likely fine. HTH!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry. My ds slowed around that point, once solids were intro'd and he started to move. Prior to that he was gaining a pound a week!

I also had a ped who was concerned about cup usage, and she said "I don't know how long you are planning to do THAT(meaning bf), but he needs to learn to use a cup."

I just nodded and smiled. Ignored and followed my instincts. We bf'd till 28 months, supply dried up due to pregnancy.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Uggghhhhh, sheer ignorance from doctors irritate the snot out of me. Seriously would he ask a FF'ing mother to start weaning from formula at 9 months???

I think I'd be looking for a new doctor. It sounds like he doesn't keep up on AAP and WHO recommendations very well and doesn't really have any sort of insight into breastfeeding. I understand they don't get extensive BF'ing training in med school, but as a pediatrician especially, he should take the time to educate himself a bit more about the subject matter.

And I agree, the pound a month is normal!
ITA with all of this.

Seriously???? Weaning before 9 months when it is the MAIN source of nutrition for the entire first year?
Old 02-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow... I'd like to slap that doctor for you! Obviously he's not familiar with AAP policy. Maybe you should mail this article to his office:
http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases...astfeeding.htm

I agree with pp - if baby is gaining weight and producing enough wet & dirty diapers, don't panic. Some babies will be below average, and some will be above average. Your LO can be small and still be healthy.

I would look for a new pediatrician. Can your previous pedi recommend someone with office hours that will work better for you? Or can you get a recommendation from a mama you trust? We found our pedi through a recommendation from my OB, and we like him. Good luck with everything!

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
applebutter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm definitely moving DS BACK to peds. Family practice is not going to work out.

My neighbor BF's her kids till they turn 1, and she cosleeps. I'll ask her if she likes her ped, since I think we think a lot alike.

ISO:
DD Granny Smith, Caramel Apple, MM Circe, SBish interlock longies w/11"+ inseam
applebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebutter View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm definitely moving DS BACK to peds. Family practice is not going to work out.

My neighbor BF's her kids till they turn 1, and she cosleeps. I'll ask her if she likes her ped, since I think we think a lot alike.
Good idea! Word of mouth is the best.