Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #71
kaydove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is it ever ok to prostelyize to other peoples children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
I am a Christian. I don't mind a family living the way they normally live around my children. If they ALWAYS pray before meals, I have no problem with the praying before meals. I do, however, have a problem with people doing things BECAUSE my child is there. In the same vein, I have no problem with her being at a Jewish family's home while they celebrate Shabbat or another high holiday if they ALWAYS do it, same for Pagan or Wiccan families doing the things they normally do. But doing it special to "convert" my child is not ok with me.

I'm really glad that your mentioned Pagan, because I am one and on occasion I will do Kitchen Witchery while I cook. Its just cooking with intention, no eye of newt or anything like that, hehe. I do call upon the elements and the cardinal directions. Its all done silently or under my breath, BUT I don't dose people and do tell them that "I made this with love for you for your prosperity". We thank the meat we're about to eat for its sacrifice, and Mother Earth for her nourishment.
Other than that, I would NOT do candle magick with a guest in the house if they were a different religion. That can get kinda intense...

Advertisement

ISO: free or cheap shipping to or within Mexico.

Last edited by kaydove; 10-03-2013 at 12:28 PM.
kaydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #72
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it depends on the age and the manner and the place (e.g., if the child is at a VBS).

When I was quite little, my parents asked what I wanted to do at my birthday party, and I said that I wanted them to read children's bible stories to my friends. Apparently I was quite insistent. That's a dicey one, but I was sharing my life and the adventures that had most captured my attention, not talking about hell.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #73
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
I think it depends on the age and the manner and the place (e.g., if the child is at a VBS).

When I was quite little, my parents asked what I wanted to do at my birthday party, and I said that I wanted them to read children's bible stories to my friends. Apparently I was quite insistent. That's a dicey one, but I was sharing my life and the adventures that had most captured my attention, not talking about hell.
I will never forget going to a friend's birthday party and they played the Little Mermaid for us... and the parents kept fast forwarding through the scenes of Ursula. I asked why and the parents responded that as followers of christ they don't allow any representations of witch craft in their home. It was like they had sprouted two heads. I kept trying to explain to them that it was make believe and that the movie made no sense without Ursula... I think they threatened to send me home after a while. Lol. Another time the parents DID send me home because I was playing "fortune teller" and telling my friend she would give birth to girl triplets and live in a mansion but her husband would die a tragic death. They were not fans.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #74
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
I will never forget going to a friend's birthday party and they played the Little Mermaid for us... and the parents kept fast forwarding through the scenes of Ursula. I asked why and the parents responded that as followers of christ they don't allow any representations of witch craft in their home. It was like they had sprouted two heads. I kept trying to explain to them that it was make believe and that the movie made no sense without Ursula... I think they threatened to send me home after a while. Lol. Another time the parents DID send me home because I was playing "fortune teller" and telling my friend she would give birth to girl triplets and live in a mansion but her husband would die a tragic death. They were not fans.

LOL. My parents would never have allowed a Disney movie in the first place. In a way, I am grateful for that b/c of the gender ideologies the earlier Disney movies presented, but their concerns would have been about magic. Even reading The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe was off-limits.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #75
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
they should have just banned the movies all together! It doesnt make sense without the sea witch. I had a friend whose parents were similar, i wasnt aloud to pretend to have magic powers, like matilda, it was pretty devastating, shes a lesbian now
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #76
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_run_with_scissors View Post
they should have just banned the movies all together! It doesnt make sense without the sea witch. I had a friend whose parents were similar, i wasnt aloud to pretend to have magic powers, like matilda, it was pretty devastating, shes a lesbian now
HA!
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #77
I_run_with_scissors
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
HA!
i know, right?
TTC #4
I_run_with_scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #78
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmama View Post
I agree completely. If you are in my home or on my property then you may be subject to my beliefs. I don't chase people with a bible but if I happen to be reading to my children from it then I certainly won't stop because company is here. I am just as respectful of others beliefs. I enjoy hearing about others religions. We had some friends who's children played with ours frequently and they were atheist and I respected that until one day some of my sons Christian homeschool curriculum was posted on her facebook page where all of her friends made fun of it and said what a horrible parent I was for teaching them such things. That hurt me. She apologized but we are no longer friends. My point is I can be tolerant and respectful even curious at times but I expect the same courtesy
Agreed.

To me, "to proselytize" means to actively and intentionally try to convert someone to your personal beliefs. That's a big difference between that vs. living your beliefs and answering questions about them. Either way, there's a reasonable, respectful way to do things. I remember a preacher friend telling the story of one of his ancestors who would go door to door selling religious books. He would ask whoever answered the door what religion they supported, if any, and what they believed. He'd listen to what they said, then nod and say, "Yes, that's nice, but we've got the truth." You can imagine how well that went over.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #79
makinhomesweet
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm a Christian. I say no. Unless the parents seems the kids tochurch/youth group/vbs. If a child asked me a question, I would answer honestly and tell the parents what happened later. And I will never apologize for my beliefs or change my practices.
makinhomesweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #80
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429 View Post
LOL. My parents would never have allowed a Disney movie in the first place. In a way, I am grateful for that b/c of the gender ideologies the earlier Disney movies presented, but their concerns would have been about magic. Even reading The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe was off-limits.
?!? The book is about Jesus Christ!
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote