Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #11
1blessedmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Intentionally allowing water to break

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat View Post
Thank you, everyone--very useful information.

I'm curious if you think there is any validity to this idea:

Going into labor produces hormonal changes in mom's body. These changes are most likely beneficial in terms of helping to stimulate milk production, and maybe other processes. Therefore, it may be beneficial to allow at least some of these hormonal changes to occur before going in for the C-section. I know its probably not a major issue, but I'm aiming to "be as natural as possible" (given the C-section).

There is also the benefits of allowing the baby to come full term. Rather than "won't cause that much harm", I'd prefer to cause no harm at all--allow that little guy to develop as long as possible.
Absolutely valid. Contractions help prepare the baby for birth- if they can even experience a few, it's better than none. There was a great study done on the baby's lung surfactant as being a primary signal to the body to begin labor. Before that time, lungs are often not prepared- hence more breathing difficulties, breastfeeding trouble, lower immunity/higher infection risk, etc. The contractions can also help squeeze extra fluid out of the lungs.

You're also going to get much more of a hormonal release with labor vs skipping right to the section before the body starts any of the process on it's own. I've also read something about lower risk of uterine rupture if any amount of labor is possible before the surgery, but I can't recall what or where that was.

There is a purpose to all of the aspects of labor, and IMO, if I ever had a planned c/s that wasn't high risk (like for previa, for example), then I'd absolutely want to labor a bit first if at all possible.

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2016, 02:56 PM   #12
abh5e8
Registered Users

Re: Intentionally allowing water to break

I think you need to be asking these questions to the doctor. There are many medical reasons for a c sec, and I think your specific reason would factor into the answer. The obvious being if you wait for labor to start you run the risk of baby coming too fast for the c sec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk