Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
babyelephantmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone ever snag their baby with a snappi??

Many of my friends use snappis problem-free. I however gave myself a nasty cut on my finger, and also had a snappi cut my daughter's leg when her diaper shifted under her clothes and the edge of the snappi pulled away from the prefold and one of the teeth gave her a painful cut. I've never had any injuries, mommy or baby, from pins. Then again, I stopped pinning after 9 months or so when my daughter was just too wiggly to sit still. I'm using fitteds now. Much better for my clumsy self.

Edited to add: I also prefer the fit of a pinned prefold over a snappi'd prefold. The snappi seems to pull the diaper into her hips, and the pin looks more comfortable. But then, the snappi does keep the middle from sagging. Although, I'd be nervous using a snappi on a baby with boy parts. Eeep!

Advertisement

Enthusiastic fan of the Bummis Whisper pull-on pant.

Last edited by babyelephantmama; 02-01-2012 at 10:54 AM.
babyelephantmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
jmoon
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have never had a problem with snappis. I guess since I use them on my 1 year old, I have to double up on everything (flats, prefolds, ect) and so it is really thick! I don't think there is any way I could stick him through all that! It doesn't seem to bother him either, again probably because of all the layers! I have used one on my 4 year old ds though, and he said it was uncomfortable, so it probably depends on the kid. I think also since he was bigger I had to have it pulled pretty tight to get in on. Since my LO is smaller I don't think it was pushing on anything!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
ofthemoonsglow
Registered Users
Formely: Mia**da
seller
seller

My Mood:

I"m more scared of pins then snappi's. We haven't had a problem. The prefolds we have are so thick i don't see how they could poke through. I just make sure i put the snappi where the prefold end goes over the other end. I used pins for a bit and poked myself a ton of times and got pissed off. I haven't poked myself with a snappi yet.
ofthemoonsglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

I stood on one. Now all I see when I look at it is its little fangs sinking into flesh. She hasn't yet, but I could totally see my daughter taking it off her prefold as well and mouthing it... I don't want to think about it.
jam's mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
mercyscreation
Registered Users

My Mood:

I love my snappi's! I've used them with fitteds, pf's and flats. Never left a mark on DD or my nephew. I have snagged myself with a brand new one and it left 3 little cuts on my finger (not bad and MUCH less painful than pin pokes--which I did frequently!).

A couple tips for snappi's
1) Don't over stretch when putting them on the diaper (just pull tot and stick)
2) NEVER go coverless (we couldn't do coverless with pins cause of terrible fit! So use snapped or aplex dipes)
~Alicia wife to bestie for 6 years ! Mommy to 2 beauties Gracie (1/30/10) & Lily (6/20/06), and my strong man Declan (5/4/12). I'm a CD'ing, sometimes wearing, exclusive BF, extended rear facing & harnessing, super frugal SAHM!
mercyscreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always thought the tight band across the belly didn't look comfy. My DD snagged/grabbed it and pulled, and it snapped back leaving a welt on her tummy a couple of times. I cut my finger on one before, so I am sure babies could do the same. I switched to pins once DD was walking and we started going coverless more often. I poked my own finger a couple of times with pins, but never DD and the little pin prick healed much more quickly than the snappi cut. I am on the fence as to whether I should even buy one to use with this new baby, or just stick with pins.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #17
Cdra
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've never had an issue with a snappi but did cut my thumb with a boingo. You are suppose to stretch them and I lost my grip and cut up my thump pretty bad. Needless to say I don't use it any more. There's no easy/safe way to grab it.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
mamaspice
Registered Users
seller

I think it can stick through a thin flat if not enough layers, but I don't worry about prefolds because they are so thick. I have however, accidently layed the baby on the snappi- ouch!

Next time I am getting the brightest ones I can find so I'm not constantly searching the bed for them!

On a side note, I do not recommend trying to learn a high back carry in a mei tai while baby is in a snappied prefold with no cover. I snappied her to my shirt and she got stuck on my shoulder! Luckily the bed was right there and I could just lean over and put her down while I unhooked us.
mamaspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
I've poked myself and drawn blood with snappis and pins both. I trifold now.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #20
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I love my snappis and they don't seem to bother my boys. They are scratchy so I try to be careful where I lay them (baby rolled on one by his head...he didn't like that!), but I've not had any scratches involving blood. I've used them for almost two years, but I don't like them with prefolds because you have to stretch it too far. I only use them with flats.
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote