Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
NSquared
Registered Users

My Mood:
Those who make their own wipes

I use olive oil when I make my wipe solution and about 2 weeks ago I ran out of olive oil and bought some grape seed oil and started using that in my wipe solution. I noticed that my diapers started having a strong oil odor. You know how oil smells bad when it sits in the cabinent for too long? They smell like that. I am thinking it is because I started using the Grape Seed oil rather than the olive oil. My diapers are no repelling at all, they just smell like the oil. Anyone else ever have this smell when making their own wipe solution?

Advertisement

NSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
Kayla1981
Registered Users
seller

Re: Those who make their own wipes

I've always just used a squirt of baby wash. I like to keep it simple and it works. I also keep them dry until I use them.

I know that wasn't exactly what you were asking but just wanted to let you know what I do that works.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
NSquared
Registered Users

My Mood:

Anyone else have suggestions? I washed rarely wash my dipes in bleach, but the oil smell is kind of stinky so I thought I wash with 1/4 cup of bleach. It helped a bit, but some of them still smell like old oil. I may have to strip them to get it totally out. If I strip them shoudld I not use olive oil in my wipe solution or just wash my wipes separately?
Old 02-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
NSquared
Registered Users

My Mood:

Anyone else have suggestions? I washed rarely wash my dipes in bleach, but the oil smell is kind of stinky so I thought I wash with 1/4 cup of bleach. It helped a bit, but some of them still smell like old oil. I may have to strip them to get it totally out. If I strip them shoudld I not use olive oil in my wipe solution or just wash my wipes separately?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

It seems like the olive oil was working for you, so I would probably just go back to that after you get the grape seed oil smell out. I dissolve some of an olive oil soap bar in water for my wipes solution and I've never had a smell. You could also try baby wash like PP suggested.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Sew_Sweet
Registered Users
seller

That's weird - you might just not even spend time worrying about it and go back to olive if that was working for you. I suppose you might have just gotten a bad batch of grapeseed oil though. Maybe run a load with bleach to get rid of the oil smell if that might work.

Last edited by Sew_Sweet; 02-02-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Sew_Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
jayell79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It sounds like the oil went rancid. I've been told grapeseed oil has a short shelf life, but I've never used it. What else were you putting in your solution? If it's in liquid form it probably needs some sort of preservative. I make my own wipe solution with Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, calendula infused olive or jojoba oil, and aloe vera juice. I add a few drops of lavendar & tea tree oil as a preservative. I've never had a problem with it, in fact, I just found a bottle I made up for my last one in diapers. That was over 2 years ago, and it looks & smells just fine!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #8
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do know that stale oil smell. I would use some dawn to get the oild out and wash with a splash of bleach, do the wipe stoo. Then make a fresh batch of solution with the evo.
GL!!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote