Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
LoVemy2boys:)
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeast from diapers or antibiotic?

We were at the dr today and she saw me change my sons diaper. I told her hes had the rash for a week ( from when he was in the hospital) i thought he got it from the pampers the hospital supplied us with. She said thats a yeast rash caused my the anti biotic he got, And got us some niastatin. My question is is it really the antibiotic? I noticed the redness for a while now but it got horrible while in the hospital and they gave me some zinc stuff and it cleared up. We get home back in cloth and BAM red horrible rash. My older son uses the same dipes and NO rash to be found... Do you think he has it from the antibiotic or do i need to strip my dipes?
Also. Im using fleece liners so the nistatin doesnt get on my diapers, but i cant wash the fleece with my diapers? Ugh a week in the hospital i just want to relax not have diaper issues!!

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
One Acre Wonder Farm
Registered Users

Not sure about the antibiotic causing the rash but I have used nystatin without liners in our diapers and washed them all together with no issues.
One Acre Wonder Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Yeast from diapers or antibiotic?

Antibiotics are usually the cause so that would be my first guess but you certainly now need to disinfect all of the diapers. I would also add a probiotic to his diet. Keep disinfecting the diapers until about a week after the rash appears cleared though. Yeast is sneaky.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
FluffyBum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nonipie is right on with the probiotic. That way his tummy doesn't get all bad. My daughter had to take antibiotics for a really bad ear infection and she too got a rash. My pedi said that a yeast build up could form in tummy and they poop it out which could irritate the skin.
After all done I had to disinfect her diapers really well and she was on probiotics for a while.
FluffyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Sabra
Registered Users

Antibiotics cause yeast infections quite frequently, actually. It's much, much more likely to have come from that than Pampers, as disposable diapers are not likely to be contaminated. As others have said, stripping and disinfecting the diapers is a very good idea, as yeast infections can be hard to fully rid yourself of. (I would think simply washing in hot water would be enough to disinfect, but adding tea tree oil and/or vinegar is also a good idea.)
Sabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
LoVemy2boys:)
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Okay thank you so os the nystatin safe to use with my diapers?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Agree, antibiotics kill the normal flora of good bacteria in our body, then giving way for the yeast that is always present (but kept in check my the good bacteria) to over grow. The rash is actually the skins alergic response to the yeast overgrowth. Antibiotics are just evil that way. You could try probiotics, yogurt, and my fav tto! I just cured a yeast infection this week with tto! I was amazed at how fast the symptoms disapeared and the infection is not gone! Who would have though! It's one of the only eo's that doesn't have to be diluted and is safe to upt directly on babys (or anyones) skin. Just bleach all of your diapering items!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote