Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #21
abh5e8
Registered Users

Re: Are expensive seats worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigala View Post
Expensive seats can be worth it for some people. The convenience features can really make the difference between loving your car seat and dreading having to put the kids in the car. But it really depends on the person.

Beware of exaggerating marketing claims. I noticed a couple of people here commenting that they expect their Diono seats to last until the kids are done with seats. Not. Gonna. Happen. No matter what the Diono marketing team tries to claim. They make absolutely useless booster seats and will be outgrown LONG before a child is ready to fit an adult seat belt correctly. Most children NEVER fit the booster mode correctly, and if they do, they only fit for a very short time between being heavy enough (50 lbs minimum) and being too tall for the belt to fit right or for their heads to be sufficiently contained by the seat.

This is not just a Diono problem. Lots of seats have wildly exaggerated height and weight limits in the specs but don't actually fit real live children of those heights and weights.

Sometimes it makes more sense to just get a cheap seat for each stage and not try to go for the "seat to beat all seats" seat.
Not always the case. We used Diono radians in harness mode from birth to age 8 and birth to age
P9. Now they are each in a $12 LBB.

Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #22
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
Interesting points. I purchased a seat that had a certain height and weight guarantee for extended RF and to be able to use for a long time after turning. I found that the way my child is built he is rapidly approaching the height limit. Basically, it worked for ERF but had a short life for us forward facing. I'm shopping around now.
I loved my Diono for ERF, especially back when my now 6 year old was in it. She hit 40 lbs right when she turned 3, and she was able to RF an additional 7 months in her Radian, when she reached 45 lbs. At the time I bought it, it was the only game in town for ERF past 40 lbs. And at the time she outgrew it the only other option was the Foonf.

But once she went forward facing, it only lasted us another 6 months or so, and I moved her to a Britax Frontier. Not that I have any regrets at all about the Radian.

She could have used it in booster mode for a few months maybe. She weighs about 55 lbs now and about 49 inches tall at age 6.5. I put her in the Radian a couple months ago and strapped her in as a booster, just to see how bad it would be, and the fit was laughable. Her shoulders were scrunched between the head wings and the shoulder belt was down on her arm. And in my experience as a CPST this is pretty typical for the Radian. I liked it better before they tried to claim it was an "all in one" seat.

She still rides harnessed in her Britax combo seats.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #23
brigala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
Not always the case. We used Diono radians in harness mode from birth to age 8 and birth to age
P9. Now they are each in a $12 LBB.
Small kids can last a long time in harness mode in the Radian and go straight to a booster seat from there. It's a great car seat, just not a great booster.

But you just proved my point that it didn't last them until they were out of seats. They are in boosters, as all kids need to be when they outgrow a Radian.
brigala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #24
fleeting56
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not sure yet - the foot to the base on our peg broke when DH was doing the in initial install with the safety check folks. We're waiting on a new foot..... if it's easy to replace and no further problems, then I'd say yes. If not, DH and I will be having a serious case of buyers remose!
fleeting56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #25
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've gotten a couple because they were less expensive and always ended up not likely them and making my husband put them in his car. He doesn't like them either but he deals because buying a new seat when not needed is not worth it. They are generally harder to install and not as quickly bucking the kids in...

I used and liked a bucket Chicco keyfit, Brtiax Marathon, and Graco Nautilus (we have 3 in use now). I did not like the Evenflo Triumph or Maestro at all. the Evenflo Maestro claims to be a backed booster, when my son was 6 and we tried it, he was dwarfed in it. Does not work as a backed booter unless you convert early.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! 2T Nght Fitted Trainer, Baby Wearing
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:34 PM   #26
luvmybaby333
Registered Users
seller

The no-rethread harness is a feature worth paying for. I'm not sure if there are cheap seats with this option, but I will not buy another seat without it. I don't care how much extra I have to pay-- it is worth it.
luvmybaby333 is offline   Reply With Quote