Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
doughpat
Registered Users
seller

Very tall 9 month old -- seat with detachable base?

Hi everyone-

Ok, I've done a bit of digging and I think I am afraid that I might already know the answer to my question.

We have a 9 month old who is in the 99th percentile for height (currently 33" tall, with about a 14" 'seating height'). He weighs about 24.5 lbs.

He often falls asleep during car rides (grateful for that!) and we really, REALLY don't want to have to wake him up to take him out of the car seat. So, we are hoping to find a carseat with a detachable base that can handle a child of that height. Obviously it'd be nice if he didn't outgrow it in a month also! Since he's so tall, it seems most carseats assume he is older/heavier than he is, so they don't have detachable bases.

One possibility is the Marathon Clicktight ARB. I think it has a detachable base. By the way, what is the 'industry term' for that...I keep calling it 'detachable base', but I haven't actually seen that term anywhere.

We drive a Toyota Camry, though that could change at some point in the future (but almost certainly to be replaced by another sedan, or possibly Subaru).

Any and all help is appreciated!

Advertisement

doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #2
Kelley76
Registered Users
seller

Re: Very tall 9 month old -- seat with detachable base?

Hello! The Marathon clicktight does NOT have a detachable base. It's a convertible car seat. I'll let someone else chime in on a bigger "bucket seat", that's a term for the seat your talking about.

I have a small 8 month old and I switched him to a convertible seat at about 4-5 months old. I just carry him into the house. For grocery stores etc, I wear him.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
kristinajura
Registered Users
seller

Very tall 9 month old -- seat with detachable base?

No input about the car seat, but I switched my tall boy into a convertible seat around 4 months old. He just looked way too big for the infant bucket seat (& carrying him in that thing was a pain. So heavy). I also just did Babywearing on errands at that age, he slept no problem strapped to me.
But at 9 months old, is it really worth it to buy a new bucket seat when he should be moving to a convertible seat (obviously still rear facing) soon anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Very tall 9 month old -- seat with detachable base?

I am not sure which bucket seat you are using now but I think (I am by no means an expert) most have a 22 lbs weight limit. I too had to switch my 22 lb 6 month old to a convertible seat - she is 17 months now and only 23 lbs so she slowed down growth significantly. She has always been tall also... So I guess I am no help about a bucket seat