Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #1
EnlistedinHisArmy
Registered Users

What do you do if the carseat doesn't install properly?

My son measured too big for his infant seat at his docs appt... so I quickly ordered an affordable harness booster for my older daughter so that I could passed her convertible carseat to him...
The only way to get it tight is to use both the latch system and the seat belt together. Google answers say you shouldn't do that. But otherwise the thing can slide like 6" no matter how hard I try.
What do I do? Am I out the $ and need to get something new?

Advertisement

EnlistedinHisArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #2
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What do you do if the carseat doesn't install properly?

I have never had a car seat that I can't get to properly install, although some take considerably more work than others.

First--I don't know where you got it, but you could try to return it. I know Amazon offers free returns if it wasn't a third party seller.

Second--do you know what's going wrong? Bad angle? Maybe rolling a towel our using a pool noodle under the front of the seat would help? Did you use enough pressure when installing? I put most/all of my body weight in the seat to really squash it down tight, adjust the latch or seat belt to the correct position, and when I get it just right it doesn't budge. Sometimes it takes a couple tries. Are you using a locking clip with the seat belt? Could your DH try? Or even try together?

Third--if the store won't take a return and you still can't get it in tight, I would sell it on Facebook or craigslist or something. You won't recoup the entire cost, but it's better than nothing.

ETA not sure where you're at our what's around but some places have car seat check places that might be able to help.

Last edited by jen_batten; 03-26-2017 at 08:11 PM.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Absolutely do not use seat belt and LATCH together. That is a dangerous combination.

What seat is it specifically? And where did you buy it? What vehicle are you installing it in?
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
Absolutely do not use seat belt and LATCH together. That is a dangerous combination.

What seat is it specifically? And where did you buy it? What vehicle are you installing it in?
I've never done this but I'm curious about what makes it dangerous?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
I've never done this but I'm curious about what makes it dangerous?

In a crash, those LATCH straps as well as the seat belts are designed to hold extreme force. They are at two completely different angle. Put extreme force behind two angles with a child in between. The force has a very good chance of going directly into the child, which could cause broken bones at best and death at worst.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #6
EnlistedinHisArmy
Registered Users

It's a Graco tranzitions bought it from babies r us which is about 45 mins away. I can't get it to install in my 06 corolla. I think the issue is the corolla seat shape. I can try to put in into my husband's car tomorrow which is not a long term solution but it might work for now.
With the latch system it slides from side to side and with the seat buckle it can slide forward. I always sit in the carseat and install it to get it tight.
I will try some rolled towels in the morning to see if I can even out the seat little.
EnlistedinHisArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #7
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlistedinHisArmy View Post
It's a Graco tranzitions bought it from babies r us which is about 45 mins away. I can't get it to install in my 06 corolla. I think the issue is the corolla seat shape. I can try to put in into my husband's car tomorrow which is not a long term solution but it might work for now.
With the latch system it slides from side to side and with the seat buckle it can slide forward. I always sit in the carseat and install it to get it tight.
I will try some rolled towels in the morning to see if I can even out the seat little.

I'm so sorry to tell you this, but you cannot use rolled towels for a forward-facing seat. That is only acceptable to adjust recline on a rear facing seat.

The Tranzitions is notoriously difficult to install. Try this:

Stand in front of the seat. Buckle using the seat belt. Lock the belt as usual. Now, push your knees into the bottom front of the seat while tightening the belt and pushing the bottom of the seat BACK into the back of the vehicle seat. Not just down, push back into the vehicle seat. Get it as tight as possible. Now, here's the slightly tricky part:
Don't check the seat for tightness yet. After it's as tight as you think it will go, hold onto the seat belt and unbuckle it. Allow the belt to ratchet back in one click. Now, buckle it again.

Make sure you are checking for tightness only at the belt path. Don't grab the top of the seat to wiggle to check for tightness. If it moves less than one inch side to side or back and forth, you are golden.

If you still have trouble, Babies R Us will absolutely take the seat back and give you a refund. Most of the stores will also let you take their floor model seats out to your vehicle to try them before you buy them.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:32 AM   #8
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just bought that seat from toys r us! Mine isn't here yet. I've heard it can be a tricky one so we'll see how it goes!

Sorry about my bad towel advice...I left out the part about switching your children's car seat, so I was thinking an outgrown bucket seat== moving to a rear facing convertible. I hope you can get it in or return easily.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:45 AM   #9
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Oh man, I was looking at that carseat to replace our radian that is expired.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #10
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
Oh man, I was looking at that carseat to replace our radian that is expired.

Some people have no trouble with it at all!!! It all depends what vehicle it's going into. I am a CPST and I have tried it in two different vehicles (for my own kids) while on the phone with Graco!!! No dice. I have returned it twice.

But for some people it's a wonderful seat. So if you really like it, try it and just know you may have to return it.

The Harmony Defender is a comparable seat and installs easier for most people.