Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Infant car seat w/o base

I'm watching the neighbor's brand new 6wo this week and in of my stipulations was that they leave her car seat with her. I am not planning on going out with her much, but I don't feel comfortable being trapped at home with no way to leave if I needed to for some reason (say, run DS to the ER when he falls down the stairs or something). So my neighbor texted this morning and asked if I was planning to go anywhere today and should she leave me her base. I said I don't need a base; just the seat and I can seatbelt it in if I need to go anywhere. She is concerned that the seat isn't safe (or AS safe) without the base. Does anyone know if this is true? I always thought it was fine, just less convenient, and since I'm not planning in running tons of errands I'm ok with less convenient. Actually, she didn't even know that you could use the seat without the base - they've never done that. I don't want to misdirect her, but I don't really want them to have to uninstall their base every day if I'm not planning to use it. On the other hand, I do want to be able to leave if I need to. Does it matter which seat they have? I'm pretty sure it's the Britax, but she isn't here yet, so I don't know.

ETA: I did try looking it up online and found many "opinions" going either way, but I didn't find any trustworthy websites

Advertisement

Last edited by Elchorrito; 12-11-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Infant car seat w/o base

I always thought the base was optional too. I know I thought that was the beauty if an infant seat because you could change it from vehicle to vehicle so easily.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

We never use the base. I feel like I can get a more secure fit with just the seatbelt.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

As long as you install it correctly, the seat can absolutely be used without the base.

The instructions are in the manual. Make sure you lock the seatbelt. That step is easy to forget.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy View Post
As long as you install it correctly, the seat can absolutely be used without the base.

The instructions are in the manual. Make sure you lock the seatbelt. That step is easy to forget.
Yes. I must say, I love that I can lock the seatbelt without that little locking clip now...automatically locking seatbelts are a great invention. We didn't have a vehicle that could do that when my oldest was a baby.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
Yes. I must say, I love that I can lock the seatbelt without that little locking clip now...automatically locking seatbelts are a great invention. We didn't have a vehicle that could do that when my oldest was a baby.

The newer vehicles (like 3 years old) are reverting back to some of those crazy ways to lock the belt and I loathe that. Ugh. Too much trouble!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Right - I do know about seatbelt locking. I was looking online this morning though and I didn't know about European vs American ways of strapping ng the seat in. My neighbor seemed to be ok just leaving the seat after I told her I was pretty sure it's safe and that she can look online, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misleading her. I'd feel terrible giving wrong safety info.

And like I said, I have no plans of going anywhere today anyway, so hopefully it won't even be an issue.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchorrito View Post
Right - I do know about seatbelt locking. I was looking online this morning though and I didn't know about European vs American ways of strapping ng the seat in. My neighbor seemed to be ok just leaving the seat after I told her I was pretty sure it's safe and that she can look online, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misleading her. I'd feel terrible giving wrong safety info.

And like I said, I have no plans of going anywhere today anyway, so hopefully it won't even be an issue.

Kudos to you Mama!!!!
Old 01-08-2018, 08:40 PM   #9
KayPea
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have the Doona, which is a stroller that the wheels collapse down and it becomes a carseat. You can use it with or without the base. I live in NYC and don't have a car, so I need a carseat that doesn't require a base.
KayPea is offline   Reply With Quote