Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:19 AM   #1
linzegirl
Registered Users

Please I need your help,

Hi Mommas! My name is Lindsay and I need your help. My darling little guy was born 5 months ago and has had an issue with his skin since he was about a month old. We have been doing testing and he was finally diagnosed with ichthyosis. A skin condition caused by the deletion of part of an x chromosome causing extremely dry skin mainly effecting the "trunk" area. We have been through every type of disposable diaper that there is and my poor little guys just keeps get such a bad rash! We have determined that cloth is the way to go, but in my researching of this I have found out that it is not cheap! Thank you so much for any advice.

Advertisement

Last edited by Agla; 01-16-2015 at 01:15 PM.
linzegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Do you have old towels or t shirts you could use? Old sheets wOuld work to.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using DS Forum
Join me making money doing the following: shopkick, Swagbucks, fronto unlock screen , Perk and Perk unlock screen, receipthog,1Q, Free Eats, panel app, qmee, bzzagent, slidejoy unlock screen, smiley360, adme unlock screen, Rewardrack, Snap by Groupon, reviewsio, swaggable, checkpoints referral name: jmnhuisman, pinchme referral code: 54K7J, lootpalace, shopalong , drizzle sms - clock, yerdle, send Earnings, yaarlo referral code JESSA398, ibotta, BrowseU, survey cow unlock referral code is8513604729
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:42 AM   #3
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Please I need your help,

Check out the ffs section here.

Towels
T-shirts

Even a pack of Gerber diapers from Wal-Mart

(And just fyi, we do not allow asking for donations on here )
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
mommy2two2012
Registered Users

Flats are economical, wash really well (less rash) and dry quickly. I would buy 3 dozen flats and 6 covers... you can also use flour sack towels as flats, but I find they don't hold as much and aren't as soft. My fave flats are from green mountain diapers...
Old 01-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #5
kaycox90
Registered Users

Prefolds or flats are the cheaper way to go with cloth diapers. You can almost always find good deals on Craigslist or on here. Just keep an eye out. Also baby consignment stores usually have them too.
kaycox90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
NatureCoastMommy
Registered Users
seller

If you have or can make an ebay account you can find good deals on lots of preowned diapers from moms selling their stash. Also flats are available new for cheaper prices with free shipping, a lot are from China so shipping can take a couple weeks.

I have heard great things about people turning receiving blankets into prefolds and flats as well. Their are free instructions and tutorials online. That could be your cheapest option right not as you may have some of these blankets but I consistently find them used for .25 cents to .50 cents at Salvation Army or children consignments.

Best of luck to you and your baby!
NatureCoastMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:06 PM   #7
SBMommaR
Registered Users

Cloth diapers can be much much cheaper than disposables! Check out this comparison:
http://www.squawkfox.com/2012/07/09/cloth-diapers/
SBMommaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:13 PM   #8
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please I need your help,

Hi there... Hugs.

For sensitive skin in your case and budget friendly... Hmm.

Just incase you need to know (b/c the terminology can get confusing if you are new to cloth diapering)... Cloth diapers have a two part system: the diaper which is the absorbent material and the cover that holds all that in until you change.

I would use an all cotton material against your baby's bottom because Ichthyosis babies have such tender dry skin. You can use old cotton shirts or receiving blankets like the previous posters said. Or you could try to get a set of Flats second hand on this site (flats are essentially rectangular squares of 100% cotton that are super absorbent)... My favorites are these:

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/flat.html

This link is a great primer for how to put on baby. You can pin on baby or fold into a pad and put in cover.

For the cover... I would get something that does not have exposed PUL (the plastic coated fabric used to make a lot of different covers by different brands... It can be irritating).

Grovia makes a shell for their hybrid system (which is a shell with a snap in insert for the absorbent material. But you wouldn't need an insert if you are using the flat or cotton cloth from a shirt/receiving blanket)... that has a cloth lining over the PUL so it's soft. They are expensive new but you can find them second hand on this site a lot. http://www.gro-via.com/hybrid-grovia...p-closure.html

It comes in Aplix or snaps... But I would probably get the Aplix (velco) closure tabs, instead of the snaps, so you can adjust the fit on your baby.

The great thing is that you can reuse the covers through a couple diaper changes unless soaked with pee or poop... So if you are changing 12 daytime diapers. You only need six covers per day... With cloth diapers I change every two hours unless I smell a poop and I change as soon as I can. Overnight ... I actually use a disposable at night because I never found a good night time system. Other momma's can help you there I hope.

Your baby is 5 months... So you are probably are changing around 12 diapers a day... And you will want to wash the dirty diapers every other day. So I would get a minimum of 26 (13 per day) flats and 14 covers (7 per day).

Washing is easy with flats because they are 100% cotton.

Lots of ladies use Tide powder with no issues. I use Country Save powder... I buy it in bulk on Amazon and it's cheaper than tide where I live. I wash all our clothes in it and I have super sensitive eczema prone skin and it doesn't irritate me.

Poop needs to be removed (mostly) before washing. A diaper sprayer attached to your toilet (it's essentially a kitchen sprayer) is helpful for removing poop. I have seen people just use their shower head if it's one of those wand types and the toilet is close.

When washing... I do a cold rinse first, then a full wash on hot with detergent and then another rinse on cold. Important to get all the detergent out. Then into the dryer! The covers are hung to dry but they dry fast.

For night time you may need to add more absorbency... You can use two flats crammed in the cover if you can. Or you can pick up a few hemp "doublers" to add more absorbency. They are just pads of super absorbent material and they shouldn't irritate your baby's skin.

If you buy your absorbent material NEW make sure you follow the guideline from the retailer for "prepping" them... They might need to be washed and dried repeatedly before first use to remove natural cotton oils that may block absorption. Also! Diaper creams and petroleum will coat your absorbent material and repel water and it's very hard to reverse this... So use only cloth diaper friendly creams and pastes or use a diaper liner that will create a barrier between.

Whew! Sorry I wrote so much. I hope this helps!

Last edited by mommyegon; 02-24-2015 at 10:19 PM.
mommyegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:26 PM   #9
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please I need your help,

Ps... A regular lidded trashcan with a PUL trash liner (like from planet wise) can be used as your cloth diaper pail. I find that cloth diapers are way less stinky than disposables so it's not necessary to get an $$ trashcan. When you are ready to wash just take the liner to the washer and dump in the diapers! I turn the trash liner inside out and wash with the diapers. So having two is helpful. If you trying to save $ though a liner isn't necessary. Just use the trashcan and wipe out periodically.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:02 AM   #10
Titus2
Registered Users
seller

I have some free stuff I can help you out with probably. I offered it on here and got a couple mamas who responded, but now that I've got it gone through and am ready to ship I can't get ahold of them! Anyways I have a bunch of good quality flour sack towels and some prefolds and covers. I'll get ahold of you if my original mamas don't get back to me, but I for sure have at least something for you to try!
Titus2 is offline   Reply With Quote