Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Any one else come from a long line of cloth diaperers?

We just went to visit my uncle and aunt yesterday. I was surprised to learn they had cloth diapered.

So at this point my Grandparents used cloth(obviously), my mother and 2 of her siblings have used cloth(the other sibling has no children), my step-mother used cloth and at least 1 of my cousins have used cloth. No wonder I never received all the negative comments so many here have been on the receiving end of. All have also breast fed and line dried. Use of natural products health remedies is the norm for half of them as well. Crunchy before crunchy was coined. What can I say? Weird is just the norm for us. No wonder it seemed like the normal thing to do.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:06 AM   #2
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Any one else come from a long line of cloth diaperers?

I was cloth diapered but my sister (7 years younger) was not. Pins, rubber pants, and flats! My mom was so impressed when she saw what cloth is like now. Obviously she was cloth diapered and everyone before her.

My husband was a paper baby but his grandparents used cloth on his parents and totally approve of our cloth using.
Cautiously expecting #4 10/6/16
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

My mom cloth diapered her first 5 kids (I was the 2nd kid). She had a diaper service that supplied prefolds and she used pins and rubber pants with them. Her 6th child was born in 1988 when disposables no longer needed rubber pants over them, and mom and dad had more money, so she was never cloth diapered.

My grandparents cloth diapered, but that was the only option back then.

My MIL was supportive of cloth. I think she used it until disposables came out. She said the first disposables had to be pinned on and covered with rubber pants. That would have made it entirely not worth it, IMHO!!

When I had my first, I was surprised at how many diapers a baby went through and how much they cost. I started thinking about cloth when she was about 2 months after seeing some intriguing diapers in a magazine, but DH didnt think the expense was that bad, so we kept going. By 6 months, I couldn't stand it anymore. I ordered cloth diaper catalogs from ads in the back of Mothering magazine, designed a stash we could afford and off we went! DH loves cloth, now. He's totally sold on the savings.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages

Last edited by Southernbelle; 06-02-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't know that about the first disposables. How silly.
Cautiously expecting #4 10/6/16
EmmaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbelle View Post
My mom cloth diapered her first 5 kids (I was the 2nd kid). She had a diaper service that supplied prefolds and she used pins and rubber pants with them. Her 6th child was born in 1988 when disposables no longer needed rubber pants over them, and mom and dad had more money, so she was never cloth diapered.

My grandparents cloth diapered, but that was the only option back then.

My MIL was supportive of cloth. I think she used it until disposables came out. She said the first disposables had to be pinned on and covered with rubber pants. That would have made it entirely not worth it, IMHO!!

When I had my first, I was surprised at how many diapers a baby went through and how much they cost. I started thinking about cloth when she was about 2 months after seeing some intriguing diapers in a magazine, but DH didnt think the expense was that bad, so we kept going. By 6 months, I couldn't stand it anymore. I ordered cloth diaper catalogs from ads in the back of Mothering magazine, designed a stash we could afford and off we went! DH loves cloth, now. He's totally sold on the savings.
My first cloth, that wasn't scrounged or Gerber, was from a catalogue I ordered from the same adds. I went with Katies Kisses. So many choices, I was terribly confused. Finally settled for prefolds and wool. I know, many consider wool to be scary. They explained the care in simple enough manner I had no problems.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My grandmother bought me some Gerber prefolds and made the comment,' I had to make my own diapers with my kids. I guess she thought prefolds were easy diapers.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest sister was cloth diapered...my dad still talks about stabbing her with a pin.
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
My oldest sister was cloth diapered...my dad still talks about stabbing her with a pin.
Pins! That was the reason my cousin went with Flips for her baby. She remembered jabbing her sister with a pin when attempting to pin on a diaper.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
plutos_kiss
Registered Users
seller

I know I was cloth diapered, I'm not sure about my sister. My husband and his siblings were all cloth diapered. Both my sister and I use cloth now, and I also have a few friends using cloth. I remember an old cloth diaper my mom kept, it had velcro and an inner net, I'm really not sure what it was. o.o
plutos_kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #10
woolcookie
Registered Users

I know my mom used a diaper service for at least part of both my brother and I's babyhood. My grandmother cloth diapered of course. She says with my mom (1st of 5) she was so nuts she'd actually iron all the diapers. Babies 3,4 and 5 were all born within 17 months (twins), so I think she let that go! My MIL said she tried cloth diapers, the flats and rubber pants her mom passed onto her from her own infancy, on my husband but gave up on them very quickly because he got a rash. She was shocked (and pretty enamored) when she saw the cloth I'm buying for baby girl.
woolcookie is offline   Reply With Quote