Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
TalkinBoutMyGirl
~Love~
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Day School and vax. Day School sickness...2 threads in 1.

Ok so the title may be a bit misleading because the vax question has nothing to do with getting sick..I just didn't want to start 2 threads.

DD just started going to a Day School at a local church but they never asked for her vax records. I didn't mention it since we don't vax bc I don't feel like fighting over it. Since it is a church school are they exempt from requiring vax records?

And my next question is...DD is currently sick right now. Not sure if she picked it up from school or what. But now I am extremely worried about putting her in school this Fall and next Spring since she will be there through the winter runny nose season. I don't want her staying sick constantly...and I don't think I can pull her out of the school halfway through if she does start having issues. She doesn't HAVE to go to school but she likes it and its good sociable with other children. Should I just say forget it and not put her in until next summer? Or do you have any tips on how to keep her from staying sick this winter?

TIA!

Advertisement

ibotta with me and save money on groceries!
TalkinBoutMyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Day School and vax. Day School sickness...2 threads in 1.

I don't know what a Day school is. I don't know what the vaccine rules would be - is it more of a daycare or more of an actual school.

She probably will spend a lot of time sick in the first couple of years of school. She'll be exposed to things she doesn't normally have contact with. If you plan for her to to go school rather than homeschooling, she'll get that exposure at some point. You just have to decide whether you prefer for her to get sick now as a toddler or later as a school age child.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if the laws are different for non-public schools, but our kids went to preschool at our Catholic church's school, and they did require vax records.

She will probably get sick a lot when she starts school whether she does it now, or next year. Most kids who have never been in daycare are more likely to pick stuff up when they start preschool/kindergarten. My kid were never in daycare, but even being in preschool they weren't sick any more often than they were before starting school. But, the two oldest were in grade schoolthis past year, and I felt like they were sick a lot more than in previous years. I'm hoping we all built up our immunities this past year, and next year won't be as bad. The sicknesses alone are enough to make me want to homeschool sometimes.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
delphinium
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Private schools can have their own rules about vaxing. So, you should ask the school.

As for illness, the more kids you come into contact with, the more likely you will be to get sick. The more you are indoors with other kids, the more likely you are to get sick. So, a child's chances of getting sick increase a lot when they are in school. There is no way to know for sure how sick a child will be but they do come into contact with way more germs at school then at home so be prepared for more illness. Keep her away from refined foods and keep her vitamin intake up, especially vit d, and that will help her immune system. It is really a crap shoot after that.