View Poll Results: What do you think of kid leashes?
I would never leash my kid. 68 30.49%
I think they're great because.... 96 43.05%
The jury is still out. Maybe I'll need one someday! 59 26.46%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #201
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you think about kid leashes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenAKAmommy View Post
HappyHouseWife:

Darn. I SHOULD have known from day ONE that DS1 would be autistic and have sensory processing disorder. Then when he was walking, and had on his monkey backpack harness, that he cherished dearly, where he would still try and dart into the road, parking lot, crowd of people... regardless of trying to hold his hand as well as have the loop of the harness "leash" on my wrist... there would have been NO NEED for it. If I just *knew* how to "parent" the right way, huh?
You're just lazy momma...admit it.

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #202
eileenAKAmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
You're just lazy momma...admit it.
LOL. *hands up* You caught me!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 AM   #203
jenna0913
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I had my oldest I would have never thought of using one. But by the time the 3rd one came, I considered it. She wants to be like her brothers and walk. She doesn't want to be in the stroller. I personally think it is worse for a 4-5+ year old to be in a stroller

Last edited by jenna0913; 06-24-2010 at 10:05 AM.
jenna0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #204
giggles0401
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I must say that I hate them and a few years ago when I only had the older 2 kids I said I would NEVER use one of any type (wrist, backpack ect) Now fast forward almost 3 years and guess what we just broke down and bought a backpack one yesterday. Our 2 1/2 year old is wild She hates strollers screams fights and escapes out of it, will only be worn half the time in any type of carrier and will run away from us anywhere we go weather its in the woods or at the very crowded farmers market. Its scarry to think we could loose her if she takes off so this is the only way we can help keep her safe. We will Never pull on it and treat her like an animal and so far she loves wearing it.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #205
KiteGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use a monkey leash I bought at Target for my almost two year old. However, I ALWAYS pay attention to him while we're walking, and USUALLY I'm holding his hand with the leash simply looped around my arm for that added bit of safety. A couple of times he's broken away and tried to dash down stairwells or get lost in a crowd, and I was able to save him, but 99.999% of the time, it's just a precaution. If he starts to strain at the "leash" I know it's time to pick him up, put him in his carrier (we have a Babyhawk) or do something else. I'm really scared of him getting snatched, too, because of a bad experience, and I keep thinking that if someone were to run up and grab him I'd have something to hold on to, as well. So all in all, I think there is a right way and a wrong way to use a baby "leash." And I don't feel bad about using it to help my 21 month old stay safe, since even though he's very well behaved and we discipline him appropriately- there is only so much he can understand and so many rules he can be obedient to.
KiteGirl: Mother of one boy, Cy Wife and Partner to John, educator, and perpetual student. I'm into cloth diapering (although Cy is a potty-using boy now!), babywearing, crib sleeping, vaccinating and circumcising, and am happy to support you in what you believe, as well.
KiteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #206
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenAKAmommy View Post
HappyHouseWife:

Darn. I SHOULD have known from day ONE that DS1 would be autistic and have sensory processing disorder. Then when he was walking, and had on his monkey backpack harness, that he cherished dearly, where he would still try and dart into the road, parking lot, crowd of people... regardless of trying to hold his hand as well as have the loop of the harness "leash" on my wrist... there would have been NO NEED for it. If I just *knew* how to "parent" the right way, huh?

I am SO not one to open my mouth, but sometimes...I just feel the need to.

Why, yes! Yes you should have! Shame on you!!! And shame on us for not being perfect parents!
http://thebewitchinglyordinaryhousewife.blogspot.com/
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #207
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't have one, and I don't like the idea because I feel like some people see it as a substitute for paying attention to your kid. But I can see why people use them.

I mean, I use outlet covers at home, right? If I pay attention to my kid, he should never stick his finger in an outlet, or I can teach him not to touch. But, I am paranoid enough to take that precaution. I guess I can understand why parents would take the precaution to keep their kid close, especially for kids who don't like to hold their parent's hand, or who like to go exploring.
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote